*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Little bit of leftover south swell. Waist to chest. Inconsistent but there were a few that had some push. Mostly adult learners and a few old man funboarders so got plenty of waves. Put some smaller more upright quads in the board I’ve been tolerating and it went well. Did a few decent turns off the end section.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Little bit of leftover south swell. Waist to chest. Inconsistent but there were a few that had some push. Mostly adult learners and a few old man funboarders so got plenty of waves. Put some smaller more upright quads in the board I’ve been tolerating and it went well. Did a few decent turns off the end section.
Crowds have been ultra non competitive my last few sessions. Super odd. not complaining though.

Reactions: motosurf

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
46F water and twenty minute lulls. tide went from flooded, waves barely breaking, to drained and closed out in what felt like the blink of an eye. oh well. at least the weather is absolutely gorgeous.
glad (not really) to hear im not alone. water quality was excellent despite the south. that is all

Reactions: Aruka

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Pretty dismal grovel session but got to try my new board. Got one that bowled up on the inside and it felt pretty good. Other than that there wasn’t much and then the high tide shut it down.

Reactions: Aruka

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Finally after about four months I ditched the hood and gloves yesterday, thanks to mundus report above. I got cold and flushed a bit but a special day nonetheless. Thanks for the heads up. Waves will likely go to crap but just putting on a wet wetsuit just go a bit quicker.

Was waist to head glassy lumpy beachbreak with adult learners bodyboarders and small group of friendly newer regulars.

Hopefully will get a few weekdays in before carnival season starts in full.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I pretty much wrote off surfing this weekend. It looked breezy and unorganized at The Beach, not quite warm enough to convince the fam to make a beach day of it (despite the sunshine), and not worth heading down the coast.

But I got a text when I was 2 beers deep at lunch with the fam that it looked doable.
I drove from the north end on the way home and there was a solid pack around 3:00 in the shorebreak.

I drove down the end of my street and there were a few doable ones and nobody out, but it was bigger and looked like much more paddling. The friend that sent a text was getting out. he and another guy said they found some ok ones so I ran out. There was a left that was consistently running off the top of a big rip current. The guys that just got out said they wern't really able to get to it and mostly surfed 2 blocks down. I got one that I did everything wrong on, then got a fun, bowly left and did a decent turn. I did the walk around to try to give myself a chance at getting out at the peak I saw from the beach but was dispatched a block and a half down before I finally just took a closeout in.

overall, I did a lot of paddling and a lot of trying to wade out to stay in position, but ultimately failed

Last edited:

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Was working up north and snuck in a quick session. Small and onshore closeouts. Occasional bit of south showing. Water was surprisingly warm also.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Frigid wind swell slop. Looked like waist to chest high from the parking spot but ended up being bigger with tricky, lurchy take offs. Rode the Cheatcode w/ H4 trusty fins and felt undergunned. Got like two turns in my hour session.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Pretty bleak. Haven’t surfed much last 3 weeks with work and travel. Forced myself to get in the water yesterday afternoon for onshore low tide springtime slop. No one out at reef2 tells you how poor conditions were. Was pretty bumpy for the 7’0 dankness quad but was able to find some corners, connect some mushy sections, and even some short sections that stood up for speed runs.