Odd Question for the Board: Any Coin Collectors Here?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just acquired a pretty sizable stash of coins, was wondering if anyone here is into to this, I have been forced to learn a ton, but what an opaque industry.

Reactions: averagejoe

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Whatever you do - do not clean them.

that’s about all I know. what makes one valuable and the other an old piece of metal makes very little sense to the average person.

get a coin with a typo and you’re rich, or so I hear.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I was way into it when I was younger and had a great collection. Then my house got robbed and they stole all my coins and silver certificates.
Now I don't collect coins anymore. Really a bummer because I had some good stuff.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
To this day I still check any change I get for dates.
I keep anything pre-60s, pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, some really old 50¢ and Silver Dollars all going back to 1920s, One SD is a 1890's. Lots of Buffalo nickles, Mercury Dimes and Wheat Pennies.
Got a bag full of 'em. You can tell if 100% silver by the sound they make when dropped.
Kinda fun hobby.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I keep anything pre-60s, pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, some really old 50¢ and Silver Dollars all going back to 1920s, One SD is a 1890's. Lots of Buffalo nickles, Mercury Dimes and Wheat Pennies.
Got a bag full of 'em. You can tell if 100% silver by the sound they make when dropped.
Kinda fun hobby.
I do the same.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Kinda fun hobby.
True that but they are 90% silver, Silver Stackers are all over these to build their silver stacks for the Armageddon, it's all over YouTube. Once you start watching those vids you will start building precious metals reserves for the end of our fiat currency....

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
Just acquired a pretty sizable stash of coins, was wondering if anyone here is into to this, I have been forced to learn a ton, but what an opaque industry.
I’m guessing you have loose or otherwise uncertified coins, and delving into grading.

Silver vs clad is super-easy… dimes, quarters and up ‘64 or earlier is 90% silver. Look at the edge and it’s solid colored vs two tone

More important is first type, year and mint. Look up value online. Start with the top valued ones and look up grading for those. If you then find you’re sitting on considerably valuable ones, you can look into getting them certified as that’ll help you selling them.

Anyone remember Red Books?

Reactions: keenfish

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
My FIL is really into them. Not sure where you’re located but he said “Comics-N-Stuff” in East San Diego county, El Cajon gives fair prices if you’re trying to thin the herd.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I think I read once that Bicentennial quarters minted in San Francisco could be worth a lot and those minted in Denver and Philadelphia are almost as good.

Or maybe it is Philadelphia minted coins are worth more than Denver or SF.

At various prepper/gunshows, there is almost guarantee of someone with bags of pre-1964 coins that are supposed to be 90% silver. Seems almost easier/cheaper to buy silver bullion from Kitco or something if that is your interest.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My father bought a number of gold coins and silver in the 80's: bulk and special coins.

He used to drop one on me every now and again. When I went to cash them in at the 'We buy Gold' shops my butthole always felt a bit bigger when I left with the money. Even knowing the spot price going in I felt like I was getting ripped off.:oops:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
True that but they are 90% silver, Silver Stackers are all over these to build their silver stacks for the Armageddon, it's all over YouTube. Once you start watching those vids you will start building precious metals reserves for the end of our fiat currency....
my friend is a nut about this stuff

nickels made of nickel, too

seems like bullets are a more precious metal for that scenario....

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
My father bought a number of gold coins and silver in the 80's: bulk and special coins.

He used to drop one on me every now and again. When I went to cash them in at the 'We buy Gold' shops my butthole always felt a bit bigger when I left with the money. Even knowing the spot price going in I felt like I was getting ripped off.:oops:
Totally agree, that is what I really dislike, the pricing feels so untrustworthy and have done it a few times now, but what a buzz walking out with 2k in cash.

Reactions: Woke AF

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I’m guessing you have loose or otherwise uncertified coins, and delving into grading.

Silver vs clad is super-easy… dimes, quarters and up ‘64 or earlier is 90% silver. Look at the edge and it’s solid colored vs two tone

More important is first type, year and mint. Look up value online. Start with the top valued ones and look up grading for those. If you then find you’re sitting on considerably valuable ones, you can look into getting them certified as that’ll help you selling them.

Anyone remember Red Books?
Yep pretty much and have gotten some graded with one of the two main grading services PCGS. Have a fair amount of Morgan Dollars and am wonder if I should do a bulk submission.