NPR Host says that objective neutral journalism is "fraught in whiteness"

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

At 15:41 mark (click on pause button next to "Forum" in upper right hand corner to skip). When asked how journalism as changed since she started, that there was an emphasis on being neutral and objective. Now she openly admits that is no longer the case, and calls objectivity "fraught in whiteness".

This is odd, because I am always reading here that NPR is not biased :unsure:

1618329572959.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido and Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Did someone say "fraught in whiteness"?

:jamon: :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Please point us in the direction of a few acceptable news sources.
NPR is a great source . . . . When they are actually presenting the actual news. It's the long format shows where the bias comes out.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
The average American lacks the education to successfully curate their own newsfeed. Consumption of biased news isn’t that problematic as long as the consumer is astute enough to identify the bias and seek out alternate viewpoints. Unfortunately the average American reads at an estimated 7th to 8th grade level. (Look it up). This place is a wonderful example of the problem and IMO reads a couple of grade levels lower than average.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Don't you love how "whiteness" is simply code for what the Left thinks is bad now?

It's almost like there's a term for that

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
NPR is a great source . . . . When they are actually presenting the actual news. It's the long format shows where the bias comes out.
i agree - NPR is a great source. but they often lose me in the long format shows because they dwell on issues that don't really interest me. i suppose it's because i am fraught not only with whiteness, but with male middle-class whiteness, which basically means i only have a passing interest in certain issues of culture, gender, race, class et al.

so, while NPR chooses to devote many hours to parsing these subjects with infinite granularity, i cannot. ymmv.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Isn't it funny how that works?
What’s really absurd about this whole “whiteness” thing is that there are so many different kinds of people who fall under the category of “white”.

Same with any other skin color.

FecalFace’s racism became glaringly obvious when he didn’t believe me when I pointed out that nearly all of the top 10 most racially, culturally and ethnically diverse countries in the world are in Africa. To guys like fecal that can’t be true because they are all “black”.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i agree - NPR is a great source. but they often lose me in the long format shows because they dwell on issues that don't really interest me. i suppose it's because i am fraught not only with whiteness, but with male middle-class whiteness, which basically means i only have a passing interest in certain issues of culture, gender, race, class et al.

so, while NPR chooses to devote many hours to parsing these subjects with infinite granularity, i cannot. ymmv.
NPR has become wall to wall leftist propaganda. Used to be the best news source out there.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Well said. Talk of the Nation and Science Friday were legit, and it’s been a downhill slide since those shows closed shop. Once Trump came on the scene, with all of the baggage that came along with that, the long format stuff became tougher and tougher to listen to.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Well said. Talk of the Nation and Science Friday were legit, and it’s been a downhill slide since those shows closed shop. Once Trump came on the scene, with all of the baggage that came along with that, the long format stuff became tougher and tougher to listen to.
it seemed like every time I heard Fresh Air in the last couple years, it was Terry Gross, gushing over the latest transgender/fem/gay/black/whatever-centric actor/movie/tv show/book/band, and exhaustively examining whatever new ground was being broken..or something like that. that's probably not fair to Terry Gross, coz she's done some great interviews - just not lately, or so it seemed to me..

• Haha

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The average American lacks the education to successfully curate their own newsfeed. Consumption of biased news isn’t that problematic as long as the consumer is astute enough to identify the bias and seek out alternate viewpoints. Unfortunately the average American reads at an estimated 7th to 8th grade level. (Look it up). This place is a wonderful example of the problem and IMO reads a couple of grade levels lower than average.
That’s why I get my political views from hal’s Twitter posts.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
First off it was one guest, NPR is still the least bias hard news out there, the woke programming is annoying.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
it seemed like every time I heard Fresh Air in the last couple years, it was Terry Gross, gushing over the latest transgender/fem/gay/black/whatever-centric actor/movie/tv show/book/band, and exhaustively examining whatever new ground was being broken..or something like that. that's probably not fair to Terry Gross, coz she's done some great interviews - just not lately, or so it seemed to me..
This.