Nose rocker on a barrel board

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
I am comparing aspects of two potential step ups. I guess a little less rocker in the nose paddles and gets you over the ledge better, but once in you wont fit in the tube as well.

What do you guys like for nose rocker on a board that is only for barrels?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Overall curve matters, not just flat nose verses curry nose. Depends on the wave too, you can surf extremely flat boards in hollow stuff if you can get in early and set yourself up. Just gotta watch a classic fish under skilled feet.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
SurfNatsee said:
I am comparing aspects of two potential step ups. I guess a little less rocker in the nose paddles and gets you over the ledge better, but once in you wont fit in the tube as well.

What do you guys like for nose rocker on a board that is only for barrels?
I only really consider nose rocker re:tubes in the context of entry/drop. If it's a suckout ledge I want a little more flip. If it's higher line runners I want less flip.

You could have a decent bit of nose rocker on a heavier glassed, larger board, and that board is not going to weave in the tube, but it could rule a lineup with nasty heavers to chase down, and could plow out of turbulence well.

OG Rocket has lower nose rocker and in little chest-shoulder throwers it makes little adjustments well. Since it's short and has an assload of tail rocker, it handles ledge drops (in small surf) quite well considering width/rocker up front.

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for the input. The wave I wanna surf it at is a big high line almond barrel. I was wondering if more nose rocker will help me angle at the drop and make the line undere the lip but I think I will go a little flatter so that I can get in early and just point it. Gonna go with an MBM rounded pin. Was considering the K step which has more nose rocker.

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
paunch23 said:
some good info here. https://vimeo.com/19503664
Thats pretty cool. So a lack of nose rocker can be made up with tail rocker in a continous curve. Thing is I dont seem to like continuous rocker that much.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
This has been my experience.
Lost round tail driver vs stretch thing v2.

The way they redirect is totally different yet the radius of the turn is similar.
I have to be back foot heavy on the stretch and the foot placement has to be more precise. But the board has more glide.

The lost is "easier" to redirect but i have to be careful not to shed too much speed cuz i might bog.

I think there's more benefits to the stretch rocker. Lower entry , average tail.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
paunch23 said:
some good info here. https://vimeo.com/19503664
Really cool. Havent seen that before. That's exactly the feel that got me hooked on the stretch shapes. The continuous rocker exaggerates control over parallel weight shifting. Adds another dimension.
I take tail rocker over nose rocker any day.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I've always had my good wave boards with some flip on the nose. I've been more intrigued lately with the lower nose rocker and more in tail like stretch does it. His simple explanation of stepping on the tail is a way to add or reduce rocker made a lot of sense.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
What's everyone's thoughts on volume for this sort of board?

I am thinking of getting something for my local spot which produces good sucky beach break barrels but I don't often surf it when it gets too big. That said I would like a board to get into the wave a bit earlier and make some of the harder take offs to set up for the tube. I was thinking something almost semi gun ish just to allow me to paddle in early before people and line her up but that might be overkill for the size I surf it at??

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
Tomay said:
What's everyone's thoughts on volume for this sort of board?

I am thinking of getting something for my local spot which produces good sucky beach break barrels but I don't often surf it when it gets too big. That said I would like a board to get into the wave a bit earlier and make some of the harder take offs to set up for the tube. I was thinking something almost semi gun ish just to allow me to paddle in early before people and line her up but that might be overkill for the size I surf it at??
Its going to be relative to what your DD volume is. I ended up ordering a classic type of stepup. Similar to my "good wave DD" the length is only +2" but it ends up being 4 Liters more. I dont think I would go with a traditional semi gun for what you describe, just a nice beefy stepup.