Nose Guard

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Does anyone still use this? Back in the 90's was an "in" thing, but from a safety standpoint not terrible idea still.
-as you get older and just reading about Mikala, and a recent nose to my face incident, any safety measures, like why not, and yes I bought a helmet, haven't tried it yet.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Have one laying around somewhere that came unstuck, never bothered sticking it back on.

Plus, I don't surf too many pointy nose boards anymore anyways.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I've still got one on my old needle nose thruster. I don't know why shapers put such sharp noses on boards. It would be so easy to just round off the last inch of the board and I don't think it would affect performance in any way at all.
I don't recall ever getting jabbed by my nose in any notable way. I have gotten injured by my fin though.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
doink.jpg

A fellow lifer here, and had a significant impact with my board on a recent trip to Mex. Remote guided spot so I would have been in a bad situation if it got me in the throat. The wave was a real square one, probably only about 4-5 foot and I couldn't land a late drop. In the flogging the board cracked my jaw so hard I thought I broke it, and the nose went straight into my collar bone. My jaw was tender for weeks after this, and the nose impact was obviously close to some significant throat damage. Crazy how quickly things can change.

I've thought about those nose things since but still haven't gotten one.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
They still make ProTek fins?

They did work. There was a performance loss, but odds are the fins are going to be what kills you.

I had one friend who got his face laid open by a fin from his eye socket to his bottom jaw bone. You could see his teeth and guns through the massive hole in the side of his face. Another one had the fin go up his nose and ripped it up/open to his tear duct. Saved the eye. I got my skull fractured with a glass in single fin back in the day. Broke the temporal bone and had spinal fluid blow out my ear drum and drip out of my ear. Sometimes you can do everything right and it's just chaos theory. You keep doing it, the odds of bad sh!t happening keep going up.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
View attachment 158160

A fellow lifer here, and had a significant impact with my board on a recent trip to Mex. Remote guided spot so I would have been in a bad situation if it got me in the throat. The wave was a real square one, probably only about 4-5 foot and I couldn't land a late drop. In the flogging the board cracked my jaw so hard I thought I broke it, and the nose went straight into my collar bone. My jaw was tender for weeks after this, and the nose impact was obviously close to some significant throat damage. Crazy how quickly things can change.

I've thought about those nose things since but still haven't gotten one.
ShxT!!! That is awful, close calls will wake you up for sure.
In my situation I just got too comfortable, my error:
-was having a fun day, on the seventh or eighth wave blasted myself over the back of a close out, weeeeeeeeee, surfaced, and bang nose below eye; had about half a second for brain to 'imprint' that my board was moving at my head.
So yeah on me, but nose guard thing would have helped I think, and this was a beak nosed board, thankfully?

*just my thinking on things....

I pulled the trigger and ordered one.

1689019747435.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: SurfMission

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
They still make ProTek fins?

They did work. There was a performance loss, but odds are the fins are going to be what kills you.

I had one friend who got his face laid open by a fin from his eye socket to his bottom jaw bone. You could see his teeth and guns through the massive hole in the side of his face. Another one had the fin go up his nose and ripped it up/open to his tear duct. Saved the eye. I got my skull fractured with a glass in single fin back in the day. Broke the temporal bone and had spinal fluid blow out my ear drum and drip out of my ear. Sometimes you can do everything right and it's just chaos theory. You keep doing it, the odds of bad sh!t happening keep going up.
FNnA man these are gruesome stories, sorry to hear, how do you three do at the blackjack table?

Think these would have helped, I guess FCS2 only

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Ooold friend of mine skewered his own mum in the face as a kid. A bit of rubber on the end won't hamper a pointy bort.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
These things look kooky but getting hit on the face with the nose of your board really sucks. I have nose guards on some of my boards.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ages ago, my board flipped over on a wipeout on a quite a small wave. I jumped off a little awkward, whitewater somehow rolled or flipped it. One of the fins cut my wetsuit right where my balls were at, and somehow only scraped my nads. At the time I don't think I realized how close of a call that was.

People seem to get more injuries on small nothing-burger waves. Go figure.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
looks like Pro-Teck fins has a few different flex options

Nov 12, 2010
Yeah I have nose guards on my pointy boards, my customs all have a rounded nose about the diameter of a half dollar. I also make a point to sand down the edges on my fins. I got a Fanning quad set that I could have shaved with. Yeah it may compromise performance but I have had fin cuts before, they are no joke. I had pro-teck on all my kid's boards and used them myself, but even and old fart like me can tell the difference between them and a hi-perf set.
Nose guards are more for ding avoidance, but there is some safety value there as well.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I always wonder about the value of wearing a short sleeved springer as well, for impact purposes.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Back in mid 80's, I put one on my boar. Got caught inside at the erbb's favorite localized spot. The caught inside type where you can still get under the lip with success. Anyways, the other guy was in front of me, and did not duck dive as well. We came up and my nose was stuck into the bottom of his board. That was my AHA moment that Nose Guards don't really work that well. Never had aonther one.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Back in mid 80's, I put one on my boar. Got caught inside at the erbb's favorite localized spot. The caught inside type where you can still get under the lip with success. Anyways, the other guy was in front of me, and did not duck dive as well. We came up and my nose was stuck into the bottom of his board. That was my AHA moment that Nose Guards don't really work that well. Never had aonther one.
Interesting, someone at UC Santa Barbara or UC somewhere or whatever, could "easily" do a scientific analysis of this, nose guard against a board: noting glassing/epoxy, against face, like those ballistic tests.

Take some of the "does it work?" out of it.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I always wonder about the value of wearing a short sleeved springer as well, for impact purposes.
Agree and bringing one to Mentawai next year, will certainly help again reef rash at the least.

And wore the Gath helmet for the first time today, not bad at all. An R&D session, small waves, but duck diving no problem, no bucket head at all, looking forward to bigger waves and how it feels getting thrashed around with it on.
-only issue, minor, was it felt a little hot at time and when you head itches can't scratch it.