Northern UK Anyone Been?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Going to a conference in Grasmere Lake District. Manchester is closest which we are flying into and out of. Is it worth exploring for 2 days after the conference or maybe going somewhere else like York or Liverpool? Taking wife and 6 year old. Long a$$ flight tho from oc.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
You could easily spend two days walking in the Grasmere area and beyond sampling a few pubs along the way. The lake district is one of the gems of UK landscape.
Between Manchester and Liverpool, if you really want to do a city I'd go for Liverpool as it has a more interesting history being a port town.
You don't say when you are going but you may need waterproofs!

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
AI conference in September?

Our boy is trying to steer you to this Lake National Park or some such. If it's not going to **** rain, I'd for sure check that out. Rural English villages, winding country roads, sunny, intensely greened up glacial mountains and lakes?

The Big Smoke is a thing. I liked it for a few days (my wallet thought it was a CIA black ops torture site though holy sh!t) I dunno about Liverpool or Manchester other than there's some famous bands and famous soccer teams. Birmingham is reportedly so grim, apparently they named a city in Alabama after it, and Ozzy Osbourne had to invent heavy metal in a band called Black Sabbath during the height of Flower Power sunshine happiness just to vent.

Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My parents were from Liverpool.

I guess the Liverpudlians have a reputation for being sarcastic.

I would only do that flight in a pod.

Wife and kid can flight in economy

Every time I hear one of the Beatles talking it's like hearing one of my uncles.

Last edited: