sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
FlynnNovak_Pipeline_210214_cropped_1200.jpg
Flynn Novak, Pipeline, 2/14/21

Per the C&C of Honolulu North Shore Surf Event Calendar:

Sep 12 - Dec 3: Women's Waimea Bay Championship (was canceled in 2019; no media yet)
Oct 28 - Nov 6: Sunset Pro (WSL Regional Qualifier; no media yet)
Nov 26 - Dec 7: Haleiwa Challenger (WSL Challenger Series; no media yet)
Dec 8-20: Vans Pipe Masters (WSL Specialty; no details)
Dec 14 - Mar 13: Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational (no details)
Dec 22 - Jan 3: Haleiwa International Open (no media yet)
Jan 4-15: Da Hui Backdoor Shootout (no media yet)
Jan 17-28: Sunset Beach Pro (no media yet)
Jan 29 - Feb 10: Billabong Pro Pipeline (no media yet)
Feb 11-23: Hurley Pro Sunset Beach (no media yet)
Feb 24 - Mar 9: Pipeline Bodysurfing Classic (no media yet)
Apr 4-14: Hawaii Surfing Association, Haleiwa

Of note: Looks like no Vans Triple Crown of Surfing this winter (was all digital in Dec/Jan last winter).

See a trend?

Last edited:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
View attachment 139378

Sep 12 - Dec 3: Women's Waimea Bay Championship (was canceled in 2019; no media yet)

Of note: Looks like no Vans Triple Crown of Surfing this winter (was all digital in Dec/Jan last winter).

See a trend?
Non-stop horns blasting?
Can you imagine a 2 week waiting period for the World Cup?

Reactions: sponge

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
For the Socal brethren that would be like having a 1 star at San Onofrre, then a Challenger event at T-Street, then a CT event at Trestles, then a CT event at Uppers, then another CT back at Trestles, a bodysurfing event at San Onofre, then a 1 star at Cottons, then a specialty event at Trestles that can run when it's firing, then a big wave event at SC Pier with a 4 month holding period.

• Haha
Reactions: sponge and keenfish

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For the Socal brethren that would be like having a 1 star at San Onofrre, then a Challenger event at T-Street, then a CT event at Trestles, then a CT event at Uppers, then another CT back at Trestles, a bodysurfing event at San Onofre, then a 1 star at Cottons, then a specialty event at Trestles that can run when it's firing, then a big wave event at SC Pier with a 4 month holding period.
5/7 no Poche.

• Haha
Reactions: Joshua2415

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Yea March!

I will stop complaining about NSSA contests in Ventura

For now...

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I'd be pissed. Fortunately, I never surf any of the name spots, and if the surf is good every surfer watching the contest is one less guy in the lineup with me.

Always look on the bright side of life!

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I'd be pissed. Fortunately, I never surf any of the name spots, and if the surf is good every surfer watching the contest is one less guy in the lineup with me.

Always look on the bright side of life!
I never go out at any of the contest spots either but I don't think it helps the crowds any. Maybe a few of the tourist types go watch the contest but those guys are almost invisible in the line-up anyways, I don't know many locals who would skip a session to watch a contest. What does happen is a lot of the Pipe or Sunset surfers end up where I'm at and that sucks because they're skilled and bring a high level of aggression. Plus you got the 100 plus pro surfers, their teams and the WSL support staff that flood the NS for the contest season.
The Eddie was different, people would skip a session to watch the Eddie and a lot of those guys in the contest would of been out at an outer reef. I had a couple of fun sessions during an Eddie.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
View attachment 139378

See a trend?
The list looks pretty standard.
I think the women have had a Waimea contest on the calendar for about 10 years and have never run the contest although most years their dates have been out of the big wave window.
Once again no bodyboard contest but there is a bodysurfing contest. My guess is bodysurfers make up 1 or 2 percent of the Pipe crowd and bodyboarders make up 40 or 50%. I think the last bodysurfing surfing contest they had slots for 60 surfers but they had 12 no shows and those spots just went empty.

Sep 16, 2022
View attachment 139378

See a trend?
I ain't saw it yet. Thanks for the info tho. I was actually looking for this http://www.uk-dissertation.com/ website on google search because I need help from a professional essay writer who will write my essay assignments for me and when I was searching for it online, I saw your post.
I ain't saw it yet. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: sponge

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I surf Sunset when it gets 6', I've pretty much sworn off the point because it's become such a sh!t show in the last five years. I surf OTW quite a bit, I don't surf Pipe, and Haleiwa has been off the menu for me for 10 years because turtles.

If they ran all the contests in this schedule, that means many of the best days at Sunset are claimed. This is what Mike Takahashi and friends have been fighting for years -- an ever increasing number of contest with waiting periods.

Sunset, Pipe, and Haleiwa are rideable pretty much every day between November and March. Pick your days, have your contest. Enough with the waiting periods.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
why do people clear lineups during contests
are there actual laws that enable this.

as an East Coast United States person my take has always been:

- In Hawaii there is a cultural force that supports / enables contests (paddle out in a contest, see what happens)

- In California - there are state parks where certain rules are in effect and some lifeguards who can enforce mask mandates at sea

On the east coast - if you have a contest when the waves are sick you have struck gold. rarely happens.

outside the U.s. no clue

are there any laws