North Shore jet ski carnage

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I kind of hate what I'm about to say, but at some point I start to wonder if there shouldn't be a limit on how many/who is out there. Maybe it's time to issue permits. Big wave hunting licenses. At least for the photographers. Seems like there ought to be some method of qualifying who is out there. Before someone gets killed again. But whatever. Not my problem.
Check this article I did back in 2004:
Teaching about Tow-in: The Ocean Safety Educational Course (10/4/04)

And like Matt said, Tron is a solid waterman and cares about the surf industry in Hawaii.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
As crazy as that was I couldn’t help but think what a sh!t show that is. How much regulation is happening out there?

side note I did not realize the clips from that day were from Avalanche for awhile.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I had a friend fly over a wave and got launched super high and when he came down he shattered his wrist on the ski.
Surfing china walls once and this dude launches his ski prob 30 ft + in the air. It was wild. He bailed and the top cause he had no chance of landing it.

The wave was small too. Prob only chest high that sent him 30 ft up.

We all watched in amazement. No one was around him so it wasnt a big deal.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I kind of hate what I'm about to say, but at some point I start to wonder if there shouldn't be a limit on how many/who is out there. Maybe it's time to issue permits. Big wave hunting licenses. At least for the photographers. Seems like there ought to be some method of qualifying who is out there. Before someone gets killed again. But whatever. Not my problem.
Hawaii has operating license requirements.

The shitty thing is there is already all sorts of laws restricting where a PWC can be used. I can't use one in the bay right outside my house. People doing stupid and dangerous things ruined it for everyone a long time ago and it doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
Surfing china walls once and this dude launches his ski prob 30 ft + in the air. It was wild. He bailed and the top cause he had no chance of landing it.

seen the guys in O'side get launched doing the aerial jetski stuff in small surf too, it's crazy ... i just can't imagine one of those sea doos coming down on top of someone paddling

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Herbie Fletcher was doing that stuff 30 years ago. There is a famous picture of Herbie going full send on a stand up jet ski. If someone knows the picture and can find it post it up. This is the only shot I could find but the one I have in mind he was going much bigger.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Darwin will take care of that.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
Looks like a sh!t show.

You can thank lifejackets ("flotation vests")
Yeah, the float vests seem to be both good and bad.

I don't think we have had a big wave death since Sion in 2011 (someone correct me if I am wrong). So that's good.

But it does seem like more and more folks are entering the big wave arena with float vests. Perhaps I shouldn't judge who is worthy and who is not, but you cannot deny that the vests bring down the fear factor a number of levels. Jaws and Mavericks just seem so crowded these days.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It's only going to get worse.

So easy to get a powerful jet ski, tow sled, life jacket and tow board these days. All you need is a tow partner and some GoPros and you're set. Just hope the circus doesn't spread to other breaks.

I'm half surprised several local breaks haven't become a jet ski circus but that could be because of the difficulty in launching a ski anywhere near the spots. Accessibility a key factor. Could also be most of the surfers around here are scraping by on money and can't afford a nice ski, nor do they have a garage to properly store it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah, the float vests seem to be both good and bad.

I don't think we have had a big wave death since Sion in 2011 (someone correct me if I am wrong). So that's good.

But it does seem like more and more folks are entering the big wave arena with float vests. Perhaps I shouldn't judge who is worthy and who is not, but you cannot deny that the vests bring down the fear factor a number of levels. Jaws and Mavericks just seem so crowded these days.
How many of these guys are relying mostly on their gear rather than their skill, judgment, breath-holding ability, and swimming ability? People who think gear will save them usually end-up dead.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How many of these guys are relying mostly on their gear rather than their skill, judgment, breath-holding ability, and swimming ability? People who think gear will save them usually end-up dead.
I bet the majority of guys belong out there. Most of those guys surf big waves without a ski.

I wonder if Sion would be alive if he had a vest? Or Foo? Or Donnie?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I bet the majority of guys belong out there. Most of those guys surf big waves without a ski.

I wonder if Sion would be alive if he had a vest? Or Foo? Or Donnie?
I thought Foo got tied up on a rock underwater and couldn't remove his leash.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I thought Foo got tied up on a rock underwater and couldn't remove his leash.
Nobody knows what happened to Foo. It's all speculation. They didn't see him after the wipeout until they found his body in the lagoon, but Parsons wiped out on the following wave and believes he collided with Foo under water.

He might have hit his head on his board, or just been knocked out on the wipeout. Or held under for too long from all the turbulence. Or maybe lost his breath on the initial wipeout before getting shoved to the bottom. Or maybe he hit his head on the bottom.

Coroner's report was blunt head trauma and salt water drowning.