No Talk of the WSL leaving Hawaii?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
youcantbeserious said:
craigj532 said:
There’s no way that Vans, Billabong, and Volcom are going to let the WSL break their contracts and pull out of the Triple Crown and Hawaii.
No sh!t, right? What's the over/under that the tour will continue on the same schedule?
A bet I would take seeing the WSL return

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Vans is owned by a $10+ billion company. Volcom is owned by a $20+ billion company. You think the WSL is going to be able to push them around? If the WSL pulls out of Hawaii, it will end them. Vans will still have the Triple Crown, Volcom will still have their Pipe contest. The WSL can get on board, or it can get out of the way; resistance on their part is futile.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
grg said:
youcantbeserious said:
craigj532 said:
There’s no way that Vans, Billabong, and Volcom are going to let the WSL break their contracts and pull out of the Triple Crown and Hawaii.
No sh!t, right? What's the over/under that the tour will continue on the same schedule?
A bet I would take seeing the WSL return
this year's Pipe masters replaced with a 2nd stop at Lemoore :shrug: World title decided in a wave pool :drowning: plays up well to the IOC they're trying to court

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
craigj532 said:
Vans is owned by a $10+ billion company. Volcom is owned by a $20+ billion company. You think the WSL is going to be able to push them around? If the WSL pulls out of Hawaii, it will end them. Vans will still have the Triple Crown, Volcom will still have their Pipe contest. The WSL can get on board, or it can get out of the way; resistance on their part is futile.
WSL will also get sued by Vanity Fair Corp, Oaktree Corp and Kering Corp lawyers.
I can't wait to see if WSL was bluffing.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
When the WSL leaves will they take all the visiting parents who think their kids are going to become pro surfers with them?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
1-) nostalgia will get you nowhere in the business world at high levels of $$$.

2-) history goes out the window in a world with exponentially growing consumer markets just waiting to be tapped into.

3-) surely china would just love to take over the end of the WSL tour. they got yen, they got waves too.

4-) surfers/hawaii especially forget, there are waves in every ocean in the world.

5-) even if the WSL lost every single viewer it has right now? there's still many untapped ones left in the leftover billions of unknowing consumers in the world.

personally? they should take it down to indo... everyone else and their brother-cousin-inlaw is down there already.

if china doesn't work, there's always russia.... :roflmao: :dancing:

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
I’m not reading a bunch of documents regarding something I genuinely do not give a FVK about.

I was down at the beach talking story with one of the Hawaiian Water Patrol jet ski braddahas. Family friend. According to him the proposition would place the first event of the year as the Pile Masters. Then we’d have to wait until the end of the year for the sunset and Haleiwa comps to complete the triple crown after the world title is announced in Tahiti or Fiji or wherever. Sounds janky.

Then the Volcom contest would get ultimate sloppy seconds. Meaningless and crap Surf.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Perhaps we need to cut Sophie Goldilocks a little slack.

In her previous corporate executive positions, with Rugby Football Union, National Basketball Association (NBA), Women's Tennis Association (WTA), and Adidas a request for a scheduling change to the proper authorities would likely have been received favourably and handled promptly, capably and courteously as a formality.

She probably did not have to observe tribal rituals and customs or deal with morons, idiots, pseudo-locals or tough guys.

Surfing is different. Hawaii greatly overstates its place and importance in the surfing world.

Indonesia and Australia have better waves and other places like Brasil produce increasingly better surfers.

The EU and China have bigger to much, much bigger consumer markets than North America, and Hawaii is so small as to be a pimple on the ass of an elephant in any economic assessment.

Like Sunny says, it's up to Hawaii to step up, drop the tough guy act and welcome professional surfing, if they want Hawaii to stay relevant.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
JSC said:
Hawaii greatly overstates its place and importance in the surfing world.
Except for the part where they invented surfing, right?

Surfing and professional surfing are two very different things. Remove professional surfing from Hawaii completely and Hawaii still has the oldest and greatest surf culture on the planet.

Only professional surfing equates the number of high ranked surfers with a location's importance in the surf world. Hawaii has 1000 construction workers who haven't surfed in two months who can pull a dusty board out from under the house and make you look stupid, on waves that would make you sh!t your pants. And it always will, WSL or no WSL.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
lol. so true youcantbeserious.

anything that slightly reduces the commercialization of surfing is a victory for all surfers.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
take the WSL to china, and have a russian leg of the tour, end in indo.

no events anywhere else. you need to do a THE SEARCH? follow paskowitz to the sunny shores of isreal.

they'll still sell a gazillion tshirts and popout surfboards.

let surfing become counter culture again in all of western civilization; while you're at it? please, please, PLEASE, PURDY PLEEEEEZE no more with the legalization of weed too.

make the world right again. :dancing: :smokin: :wave2: :socrazy: :shrug: leave the 'rest of us' alone again.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Racer1 said:
Unrelated, but might be my favorite political story in Hawaii recently. Mayor's daughter stole former Mayor candidate sign, lit it on fire, took a bong rip with it and shared it on Instagram:
Whoa...nice pins! :pacifier:

No traveling circus to Honolua? Cry me a river. Best thing that ever happened to Maui surfers. If the local people want a contest there they can have it and do it how they want. The lifestyle clothing mega corps can be contacted for sponsorship opportunities. Every single one of them would love the chance to put their logo on the screen. Make it part of the new yearly "Shootout Surf Series" (SSS) recap movie like a Warren Miller feature. I think I heard that all the latest shootout footy is going to be condensed into a film. If that works we are on the way to independence.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Mr_Stagger_Lee said:
Racer1 said:
Unrelated, but might be my favorite political story in Hawaii recently. Mayor's daughter stole former Mayor candidate sign, lit it on fire, took a bong rip with it and shared it on Instagram:
Whoa...nice pins! :pacifier:
what school did this young woman get 'sent to' back east? she has a future.... :dancing: :smokin: :cheers: :beer: :drunk: :hat: :cool2: :wink2:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
JSC said:

In her previous corporate executive positions, with Rugby Football Union, National Basketball Association (NBA), Women's Tennis Association (WTA), and Adidas a request for a scheduling change to the proper authorities would likely have been ... an entirely new experience for her since the other organizations are not using public space to make money
fixed

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
JSC said:
Surfing is different. Hawaii greatly overstates its place and importance in the surfing world.
1 WCT event, 2 10,000 QS Primes, 2 3,000 QS events, 1 1,000 QS event and 2 Jr Pros in the span of 6 months and 7 miles.
Throw in a shootout, a bodysurfing event, a SUP contest and a bodyboarding event. Every year.

Yes, please make us less relevant in professional surfing.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
the janitor said:
JSC said:

In her previous corporate executive positions, with Rugby Football Union, National Basketball Association (NBA), Women's Tennis Association (WTA), and Adidas a request for a scheduling change to the proper authorities would likely have been ... an entirely new experience for her since the other organizations are not using public space to make money
fixed
This.

The more I learn, the more I think about how much public space and time we are compromising (spending our resources to bring these events here) to benefit professional surfers.