No Talk of the WSL leaving Hawaii?

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
youcantbeserious said:
MitchellC said:
Over the years, we've averaged a couple of trips each year to HI. Sometimes the outer islands, but the majority of times to the gathering place. For one, it's a piece of cake getting flights to/from LAX, and for two, well Oahu obviously has the surf (and culture).

However, the point of this comment is the often times criticized, but without a doubt one of the more interesting events taking place around the globe, and that is of course, the incredible development taking place in HNL. If you have a chance to travel around a bit, including some of the major cities of the world, you will quickly understand and appreciate what the heck is going on.

So, even though the context of this board is surfing, and by reference projecting that assumed priority on the C&C, it is really kind of a sad joke to think that the WSL has any leverage whatsoever, or that surfing represents any kind of major economic draw for the islands that would cause the local government to yield to any kind of intimidation tactics.

Put simply, HI has entered into its own unique orbit, attracting capital, investors and development in ways that is hard to imagine. But, it's paradise, it's located 1/2 between the N America & Asia, and it's subject to US laws, including critical legal protections covering real estate, construction, lending and title issues.

The result is some kind of crazy future that no one can accurately predict. But, it's reality, it's happening, it's not going to end, and it places the importance of "surfing" somewhere down around garbage collection on the island's list of priorities.
Nailed it. Sh1t's changing fast. Surfing will always be important in Hawaii because surfing IS Hawaii. It is the cultural gift of Kanaka Maoli to the world. But there is big money in Hawaii now, real money. I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out.
^^^^^^Haleiwa is crowded with Tourists year round now, especially in the summer. Tourists dont come for the surf contests. They will watch the contests, but its not the reason for them coming. That said, one cant deny that there is economic impact. Its more likely that businesses in Waikiki are losing money to businesses in Haleiwa. And maybe those with the fancy vacation rentals wont be able to charge quite as much as demand wanes.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
JSC said:
Makaha used to have contests. Big contests with the best international surfers of the day.

The Makaha International was as big as contest surfing got from 1954 before it ended in 1971.

How did that work out for the West side? Locals only, huh?
Yeah, all the Makaha locals I know are always complaining about how they wish it was more like the North Shore . . .

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Story was on the local news this morning. They made it sound like the Mayor officially rejected the WSL and it's done.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Racer1 said:
Story was on the local news this morning. They made it sound like the Mayor officially rejected the WSL and it's done.
Sure looks that way. Here's a good stab article on it.

https://stabmag.com/news/the-wsl-and-hawaii-bid-aloha-or-the-unfortunate-misadventures-of-sophie-goldschmidt/

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Good find. Thanks Hdip

Wait, so is every event in Hawaii at issue here?
"Information from other sources confirms a willingness to withdraw from the state of Hawaii as a whole, should the World Surf League not receive the permits."

If the triple crown and all QS's and all junior events are cancelled, won't people be pissed? I thought a ton of local kids and families take part and love the smaller regional events and the regional rankings? :shrug:

I also liked this gem from Sunny:
"When asked if the WSL truly planned to leave Hawaii should the permit fail to be granted, Sunny said he did not know, but, "If I were them I'd be, like, fuck Hawaii. Here we are bringing all this money and revenue into Hawaii and promoting it, unlike other sports like football and golf, who we pay to come here and don't do anything for us. Yeah, if I were them I'd fucking pull that sh!t and be, like, 'Fuck Hawaii.' You know, you guys don't want to fucking help us with some little stipulation in the rules, then why should we even be here?"

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
So Sunny doesn't think that the locals can grow something grass roots style and have it make money?
If they can't then I am going to go out on a limb and say the money just isn't there to begin with, except for the underground economy stuff.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Hdip said:
Racer1 said:

https://stabmag.com/news/the-wsl-and-hawaii-bid-aloha-or-the-unfortunate-misadventures-of-sophie-goldschmidt/
I'm trying to continue my Stab embargo, does this article cost money to view?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
theramrod said:
Hdip said:
Racer1 said:

no

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
theramrod said:
Hdip said:
Racer1 said:

straight up incompetency at the WSL

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
"Upon being informed that Mayor Caldwell's schedule was full, Ms. Goldschmidt informed the Mayor's office that the meeting needed to take place prior to midday the following Monday, February 5th, after which she was scheduled to return to the mainland. Ms. Goldschmidt was informed the office would make efforts to arrange the meeting.

On Friday, February 2nd, Ms. Goldschmidt arrived at the Mayor's office unannounced and requested a meeting. At the time, Caldwell was not available as he was in the process of testifying at the Hawaii state capital."

BRO WHAT

"The Mayor's staff told Goldshmidt they would work through the weekend in an attempt to find a solution.

However, over the weekend Ms. Goldschmidt approached the Honolulu Star Advertiser. In the resulting article Ms. Goldschmidt states that she believes the World Surf League is not being "treated fairly."

WHAT????

In short, Ms. Goldschmidt was requesting that the City and County not only ignore the WSL's inability to comply with the permitting process, but to also grant the permits without taking into consideration those submitted by others.

OVER.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Racer1 said:
"Upon being informed that Mayor Caldwell's schedule was full, Ms. Goldschmidt informed the Mayor's office that the meeting needed to take place prior to midday the following Monday, February 5th, after which she was scheduled to return to the mainland. Ms. Goldschmidt was informed the office would make efforts to arrange the meeting.

On Friday, February 2nd, Ms. Goldschmidt arrived at the Mayor's office unannounced and requested a meeting. At the time, Caldwell was not available as he was in the process of testifying at the Hawaii state capital."

BRO WHAT

"The Mayor's staff told Goldshmidt they would work through the weekend in an attempt to find a solution.

However, over the weekend Ms. Goldschmidt approached the Honolulu Star Advertiser. In the resulting article Ms. Goldschmidt states that she believes the World Surf League is not being "treated fairly."

WHAT????

In short, Ms. Goldschmidt was requesting that the City and County not only ignore the WSL's inability to comply with the permitting process, but to also grant the permits without taking into consideration those submitted by others.

OVER.
"Goldschmidt states that she believes the World Surf League is not being "treated fairly.""

yet another white mainlander taking from Hawaii and then complaining when not getting her way. Girl needs to watch the Eddie 30 for 30 to see how her comments fit into the historical context of Hawaii. Slater needs to step in and make peace by firing her

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
So stupid. She went to the press when they said they would work on it.

Yeah, that's gonna go over real well corpo haole lady :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I love it when people throw their weight around in Hawaii and are asked to leave.

I'm always on my best behavior there.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Cannot believe you keyboard pounders aren't talking about Richie Porta being demoted and a new Head Judge is in town.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
The reporting is confusing, is WSL trying to switch a Pipe contest with a Sunset contest or a Pipe contest with a Pipe contest? The latest article I read (from Hawaii News Now) says the latter which contradicts an article from the same news agency quoted earlier in this thread.

The City says: "'We do believe that the Volcom event is a completely different event from the Pipe Masters, and I think the thing we're most concerned about is the impact to the community -- the size of the event and what kind of traffic,' said Georgette Deemer, the city's deputy managing director."

If it's switching a Pipe contest for a Pipe contest I think the city's position is much less compelling as there would be no waiting period "cooling off" issues. If community impacts have already been considered and both events have been scheduled (it's not clear whether that process has been finalized) would the net impact be any different if the events were switched? I have no insight into local politics but it's looking like the City is holding WSL over the barrel and assuming WSL did not amend its permit applications by the deadline it appears to have a legal basis for doing that.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I could be wrong, but this is my understanding.

The WSL wants to end the 2018 season in December at pipe as it's been. Then start the 2019 season in January at pipe. Volcom pro also wants to run at pipe in 2019. I think that would be the problem. So the volcom pro would get pushed out. They couldn't switch volcom pipe pro to Dec 2018 as WSL is ending at pipe that year. They couldn't run volcom pipe pro in Jan 2019 as planned due to WSL wanting January 2019 dates. So that would mean no volcom pipe pro from the contest that just ended last week until 2020.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ah, thanks HDip, I was confused too. They can't just switch the two.

The Mayor is saying that the Pipe Masters brings more crowds, traffic and infrastructure than the Volcom Pro, so it's not the same event. Meaning different event and different community impact. Also, the Volcom contest has more local surfers and if Pipe Masters gets the Volcom permit than that means that the Volcom contest wouldn't be run from Feb 2018 to Dec 2019, 21 months apart. Having more local surfers is part of the permitting process (I think I read that somewhere).

Why did the WSL think it'd be easy to ask for two huge events less than two months apart?