No comments allowed :)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I bought my house in a very flood prone location on a sand barrier island 27 years ago. I knew going in that the house had previously been flood damage. It was a calculated risk. It bit me in the ass in Hurricane Sandy. It could bite me in the ass again this year and next year. You know going in if you have half a brain and any understanding of history that your nice beach town neighborhood could wind up looking like this. The 62 storm could happen again.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I bought my house in a very flood prone location on a sand barrier island 27 years ago. I knew going in that the house had previously been flood damage. It was a calculated risk. It bit me in the ass in Hurricane Sandy. It could bite me in the ass again this year and next year. You know going in if you have half a brain and any understanding of history that your nice beach town neighborhood could wind up looking like this. The 62 storm could happen again.

That's some "sea level rise" lolz

Can you imagine the news coverage of this nowdays? CLIMATE CATASTROPHE!!!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Say what would it take to convince TPTB to blast all the jetties and sea walls keeping any swell from getting into Long Beach and Santa Monica so that hordes of tech bros don't descend on other counties.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
That's some "sea level rise" lolz

Can you imagine the news coverage of this nowdays? CLIMATE CATASTROPHE!!!
I have a book called "Great Storms Of The Jersey Shore". Its a worthwhile read. It documents all of the known major storms that have hit the Jersey shore up to the 1992 "Perfect Storm" when the book was published. One thing is clear from this book is that there have been several storms that have hit the NJ shore that make Hurricane Sandy look like child's play. The 62 Storm, another in 1944 and a third that hit in the 20s or 30s would make Sandy look minor if they hit today.

I actually got my house at a bargain price because it had been badly flooded in the 1992 storm. House flipper bought it damaged for $30k fixed it and then sold it to me. Sandy put chest deep water in my first floor. Life goes on. Still wouldn't want to live inland.

There is a decent photo gallery at this link from the 62 storm: https://pressofatlanticcity.com/weather/five-decades-later-a-look-at-the-worst-storm-ever-to-strike-south-jersey/article_a1fdd25a-cc88-587e-b5c5-f60a45a04242.html

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have a book called "Great Storms Of The Jersey Shore". Its a worthwhile read. It documents all of the known major storms that have hit the Jersey shore up to the 1992 "Perfect Storm" when the book was published. One thing is clear from this book is that there have been several storms that have hit the NJ shore that make Hurricane Sandy look like child's play. The 62 Storm, another in 1944 and a third that hit in the 20s or 30s would make Sandy look minor if they hit today.

I actually got my house at a bargain price because it had been badly flooded in the 1992 storm. House flipper bought it damaged for $30k fixed it and then sold it to me. Sandy put chest deep water in my first floor. Life goes on. Still wouldn't want to live inland.

There is a decent photo gallery at this link from the 62 storm: https://pressofatlanticcity.com/weather/five-decades-later-a-look-at-the-worst-storm-ever-to-strike-south-jersey/article_a1fdd25a-cc88-587e-b5c5-f60a45a04242.html
We get big floods here too:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
We get big floods here too:
I think there was a thread here a while back about a town developed in Washington state or Oregon that all washed away after a jetty was built to stabalize an inlet. Found a really good documentary about it on youTube. Worth checking out.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
If a storm hits just right, barrier islands can get a double washover, surging into the lagoon or bay on the approach, then, as the eye passes over and the wind changes direction the flooded back waters wash back out to sea, carrying broken and exposed debris with it...ala Hurricane Ike with only one building left standing on Bolivar Peninsula.