New JOB Pro Model

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Soft shortboards are fun the first 10 minutes but then I'd rather just be on a regular board. Softies don't throw any spray and just feel boggy.
mine is boggy but its increased floatation helps me accomodate
a thick wetsuit which - unfortunately - i seem to need 6mo/yr.

tinkerer note: "speed" fins seem (to me) to de-bog it to a degree.

Trump2020

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 26, 2020

Check the fourteen minute mark. bonus italo cameo. Filmed right before italo won at pipe.
that was cool thanks for posting. That shape looks fun.
I’d love to see JOB do a few spins in the barrel at backdoor.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I gave my daughter's 5'5" x 20 x 2.5 (42L) Catch Surf/Odysea RNF a go yesterday for the first time. I surfed for almost four hours earlier in the morning on my 5'8 CI NB2 (Varial) and had some some decent waves, so I didn't feel obliged to bring a good board down for a family beach day to cook in a bag.

I was pretty shocked how terrible the thing rode. I wasn't expecting to do blow tails or reverses, but thought I could thread the crowd and have fun in the waist-to-chest high increasingly onshore slop. The 50/50 foil on the twin fins really add to poop riding magic. Everything you don't want in a board is there: slow (check), boggy (check), heavy (check), tracky (check).

My only other experience with a shorter softboard (we have an obligatory Wavestorm) is a 4'11 INT Blackball-Beater that I won about six years ago. That board has a hard bottom and Futures boxes. I put some Pro Teck fins in to minimize the chance of injury when my daughter would use it. While the INT is no performance machine, I could still look like I could surf, but obviously handicapped by the craft. The RNF had me seriously flailing in comparison. The high point out of about eight waves was a low speed bank of the whitewater which was a struggle in itself.

I came in and was promptly mocked by my 13 year old, doing various impressions of rolling up the windows and general kookery, which my wife and friends took great delight in, fueled by their White Claw and/or IPA intake.

The softboard boom is pretty crazy, with the vast majority of people out on these type of boards after 10:00 am at my local beach in Redondo. On one hand, I'm all for it since it takes the danger factor down a few notches, but it also makes me wonder what percentage of the kids (relative to my almost 49 years) on these things know how much they're limiting themselves performance-wise.

I have newfound appreciation for some of the surfing I've seen on video on these type of boards. For me, it was struggle-bus time.

Reactions: jkb and mundus

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
That’s why I never understood wavestorms in good waves. They ride absolutely terrible.

My guess is the people on them are too scared to move up and try

Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I bought the JOB quad in 5'6" first session on was terrible, sort of started to get the hang of it 2nd session. Unfortunately I think I went too short , paddled fine, caught waves fine, rode like crap, gonna give another couple of tries if does not click, trade in or craigslist it will go.

Reactions: kane and ChaseTMP

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I have the modom one (5'5"). I think it's called the deadly mondo. As far as I know, it's a normal shaped eps board with a soft covering - even has concaves. Whatever they use for the top deck is grippy and feels great. Bottom is the normal bodyboard kind of bottom. The deck dents like a normal board. If you hit it with your hand, it sounds somewhat like a board instead of just a dead thud. It's a bit heavier, obviously, but rides pretty well. It doesn't excel at carving/wrap turns - but that's also probably the shape. It is fast down the line, and a good amount of pop when you hit a lip or closeout. Its not as high performance as my fling but it has more glide and a really fun feel. It's also great for hanging at the beach, which I find myself doing more of lately.

Just a side note, I'm on the east coast. We get a lot of small windswell that is really fun on a board like this. I think they have less utility on the west coast.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and mundus

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
JOB and Kalani Robb are just about the only people making money from surfing (exept for the top 5 on the CT).
Surfers are so incredibly stupid, words are lacking.
-Look at me splashing about in the ocean, now give me money!!! How the hell is that even gonna work?!!?

There should be way more Catch Surf and less Billabroke, Skidsilver and Turd Curl in surfing.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've heard what Kalani makes from Catch. It's nice and I'd wear pink wetsuits and do 360's for it, but most of the CT makes more. Top 10 on CT make exponentially more. Maybe top 10-20 on the QS and maybe 20-30 free surfers make more as well. I don't know how any of it sense from a ROI perspective.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and mundus

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I think I could get barreled at what looks like Gums on a softie, (Gab's video above). I just can't surf the thing anywhere close to my ability when I'm trying to generate speed and do some decent looking turns in marginal Southern California beachbreak.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've heard what Kalani makes from Catch. It's nice and I'd wear pink wetsuits and do 360's for it, but most of the CT makes more. Top 10 on CT make exponentially more. Maybe top 10-20 on the QS and maybe 20-30 free surfers make more as well. I don't know how any of it sense from a ROI perspective.
His wallet should expand once Palm Springs Surf Club opens. Anyone getting paid to surf right now, especially a 43 year old who was out of the surf industry limelight for a long time should be extremely grateful that brands like Catch Surf and energy drink brands like Rocktar, Monster and Red Bull ("it's not poison, it's got juice in it" -Anson Wheeler, Role Models) are supporting them. Clay Marzo's (and Zeke's to a lesser extent) IG is pretty sad with him having to fulfill his contract promoting that swill almost every post.

Reactions: waxfoot and mundus

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like they're good for the kids who will drag and drop them. It'd be a PITA to fix dings on a kid's board all the time unless you're just going to use home depot epoxy putty and call it a day.