New CI Tri-Plane close to official release ...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Devon Howard posted up some pics and a clip of the new design on IG. Looks like the official release is coming later this month. The clip shows him on a 7'1" in rather small - slow conditions. I don't see this design as a groveler .... looks like it would be well suited for lined up or punchier conditions. If i were to pick one up .... i think around 6'8" would be about right for beach break/point break spots around here.

CI -Tri-Plane1.png

CI Tri-plane2.png

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Perfect for knee high con or for the soul surfer dropping in on on guys at crowded breaks:socrazy:I liked tudor commenting on just get a mind machine

Reactions: bluengreen

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Devon Howard posted up some pics and a clip of the new design on IG. Looks like the official release is coming later this month. The clip shows him on a 7'1" in rather small - slow conditions. I don't see this design as a groveler .... looks like it would be well suited for lined up or punchier conditions. If i were to pick one up .... i think around 6'8" would be about right for beach break/point break spots around here.

View attachment 133322

View attachment 133323
There‘s a bunch of them at the shop here in SB.

The board looks pretty damn fun, actually.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
There‘s a bunch of them at the shop here in SB.

The board looks pretty damn fun, actually.
Yeah it does look fun. I can envision giving it a go in fast barreling beach break conditions. From the IG post sounded like it had not been released as yet and they don't have it on the CI website. Looks like they are going to be releasing a new edit on it soon. I'm not a CI fanboy and don't give a sh!t about what label is on it or whether they've copied a design concept... the bottom design really caught my eye and curiosity. Other shapers ... i.e. Lovelace have been dabbling with it .... the Lovelace ToobShooter looks interesting as well ... but a 12 month wait for a custom shape as advertised on their site is a bit much. The design itself has roots going back to Greenough and CI as well was producing tri-plane hull designed boards back in the day. I'm curious to see what the standard dims on it are.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
ET’s(Hermosa Beach) had them for a few weeks now. Caught my eye, gave it good look. Would bang…
Its interesting no one seems to remember the Brewer Tri Plane bottoms used on these mid 70's boards
I used a version of this on my longboards for a very long time
When I showed Freddy P's father this and demonstrated what it does he was more that shocked :)

6'8" x 19 1/2"

7'2" x 19 1/2

Add width and your happening

Waiting for someone to do this

Reactions: flyinraptr

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
@griffinsurfboard i pulled this quote from an older thread :
3 flats in the front , some times a slight center strip of concave , outside panels dropping to create 4 planes then to Vee and flat out the back
Do you have any pics of examples? Seems like the tri plane bottom has so many variations. The one on the new CI doesn’t make sense to me with the concave aggressively narrowing towards the tail. Seems like it would create a water flow similar to a big pipe to a little pipe creating pressure build up. Kinda like Machado’s go Fish.
i found this pic that stood out with the concave blending into a vee and flaring away from the center off the tail. GG- any intel or history on this version?
1657467556390.jpeg

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008

Do you have any pics of examples? Seems like the tri plane bottom has so many variations. The one on the new CI doesn’t make sense to me with the concave aggressively narrowing towards the tail. Seems like it would create a water flow similar to a big pipe to a little pipe creating pressure build up. Kinda like Machado’s go Fish.
i found this pic that stood out with the concave blending into a vee and flaring away from the center off the tail. GG- any intel or history on this version?
View attachment 133433
Looks like the curve of the concaves matches the curve of the rail line as does the Go Fish.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

View attachment 133433
"3 flats in the front , some times a slight center strip of concave , outside panels dropping to create 4 planes then to Vee and flat out the back"

Contour was slightly less than 1/8" tall or Deep
Put your hand on it and press slightly , run it toward the tail and your hand will accelerate

Freddy P's dad was blown away by this when I had him do this = it is real :waving:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Only single fin? Not even side bites? Probably can't figure out a way to put boxes on that bump.

I'd be more interested in the Webber Creature. The lift effect should be similar but in a much more high performance package.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.42.35 AM.png

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Only single fin? Not even side bites? Probably can't figure out a way to put boxes on that bump.

I'd be more interested in the Webber Creature. The lift effect should be similar but in a much more high performance package.

View attachment 133446

Many good shapers tried these extreme doubles with Vee , All dumped that effort and moved on

Key feature on this one is like Maurice's Concave , it fades in depth towards the tail allowing release - very important

Reactions: Northern_Shores