Neck issues

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Surfing is hard on your neck.

I am usually sidelined once or twice a year by a tweaked neck. As I am now. Always the right side.

Also tweaked my neck chin to chest when I landed on top of my board during a wipeout about 2 years back, that left me drydocked for a few months so I'm sure that didn't help.

I can never be sure what will set it off, it just tends to magically happen. I'm figuring this time it was diving off the board after botching a reentry yesterday. Didn't hurt at the time but hours later it was obviously tweaked.

So I am quitting surfing, but other than that what is the long term key to neck health?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I do all of these except number 7. They really help. But also I find it helps to strengthen the shoulder and back area. All those muscles connected so it makes sense.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I was out just last week. Herniated discs. I think you just gotta stay active. The neck goes out a few times a year like you know.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I am usually sidelined once or twice a year by a tweaked neck. As I am now. Always the right side.

Also tweaked my neck chin to chest when I landed on top of my board during a wipeout about 2 years back, that left me drydocked for a few months so I'm sure that didn't help.

I can never be sure what will set it off, it just tends to magically happen. I'm figuring this time it was diving off the board after botching a reentry yesterday. Didn't hurt at the time but hours later it was obviously tweaked.

So I am quitting surfing, but other than that what is the long term key to neck health?
Don't quit surfing. The fact that you have pain does not indicate anything is wrong with your neck:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Deadlifts and squats?

Your neck pain is all in your head. Benign neurological signals.

Just kidding. My neck gets sore after surfing. I figured out it is the head flick to get my hair out of my face. If I'm careful not to do that I can minimize the pain. Seriously. As I come up from duck dives I have flick my hair with my hand. It costs me one paddle stroke every duck dive, but it's better than the sore neck.

Reactions: Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Traction. Make one of these....

I don’t go with that much of an angle.

I’ve been doing it 15 minutes a day for the last five years. My neck is fucked up. Getting injections soon. They last about 5-7 years for me.

Do you have numbness, pain or tingling in you shoulder/arm/fingers? If so you likely have a bulging disc or two pushing on the nerve. That’s what I got going on. Life of surfing, years on a TT bike, BJJ and two broken vertebrae (that I don’t know how it happened).

Traction will help. Avoid inflammation at all costs. DO NOT TAKE ADVIL or any other anti-inflammatory drug unless you absolutely have to. Continual use of these drugs are counter productive. Avoid foods that cause inflammation.

Physical therapy is a total waste of time. look up PT exercises on YouTube and do them at home. Be careful with neck strengthening exercises. Do them but don’t over do them.

Look into getting an epidural block (steroid injection). 50/50 it works but it’s like fucking magic for me.

Find someone who is very good at doing this. Like a guy who basically only does this.

PM me with any questions. Anything I can do to help. Nobody should have to go through what I did. I can help you avoid it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Not an MD. No longer certified S&C coach. IMO these guys are fully legit and offer a ton of free content.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Isn't someone going to say "Read the book!"? :trout:

I have the same issues, drainer, and I'll agree with r32. Slow, elongated stretching, every day, and creating traction all help. Yoga too.
That being said, I have not been keeping up on my stretching and my neck fucking hurts right now.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Strengthening and stretching your core and hips so you can paddle with your chest arched up off of the deck of your board takes a ton of stress off of your neck when paddling and surfing. This is HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!!!!

Watch a really good young ripper paddle and check out the reverse C shape they create in their back while they paddle. Being able to create that reverse C takes most of the stress of surfing off of your neck. Sitting all day in adult life is the enemy of this and you have to reverse the effects of this.

Reactions: Havoc and TheEl