Neal Purchase Jnr - Duo Concept and other boards...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
One of my friend's raves about his boards, and another one just got a funky quad from him. Smooth surfing in the vid, and the boards look super interesting. Anyone got one? What's the word on the erbb?

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/131774155[/vimeo]

NPJ Surfboards

Dec 10, 2011
Bought my first NPJ Quartet 6' about a year ago...my favorite board in pretty much all East coast conditions. I've since ordered another quartet 6'2 for better waves and a 6'3 DUO....both arrived right before the new year. They are beauties...took the DUO out in waist high waves and it went exactly like Neal describes in the video...can't wait to take it on a trip and surf it in good pt. break waves. I've owned a ton of boards and all of Neal's boards feel great....rails are perfect and glass job solid.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Awesome boards. I've had several and still own a 2+1 for better waves.
My favourite board of all time was a stringerless quartet. It was one of his early quartets so it had more nose and less tail. Quite pronounced concaves and it was so front foot friendly and absolutely ripped from knee high to overhead. I snapped it of course...
My next quartet was different. More egg like, more rocker and it felt almost completely flat underneath. I had moments of brilliance on it and some frustration.
I had a small wave quartet - a squail and i loved the loose feeling from the rounded square tail - lots of fun in rubbish surf. Very fast.
I had a single fin mote style board. Loved the outline, but struggled with how to ride it to full effect.
I had a second hand duo. This was an interesting board. Again, moments of brilliance - blistering speed and incredible hold in bigger waves - but couldn't get it to work in the daily stuff i tend to surf.
My 2+1 is such a good wave board - barrels, speed, control - you name it - it has it.
I will get on another quartet again, or a shorter 2+1, but NPJ is a busy guy and doesn't deal with his emails directly anymore and if i'm going to fork out $1400 for a custom - i gotta speak with the shaper directly.
Get one - you won't regret it. Real craftsman, real design.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i'd expect an ex pro surfing perfect indo to rip any board

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
connor30 said:
Bought my first NPJ Quartet 6' about a year ago...my favorite board in pretty much all East coast conditions. I've since ordered another quartet 6'2 for better waves and a 6'3 DUO....both arrived right before the new year. They are beauties...took the DUO out in waist high waves and it went exactly like Neal describes in the video...can't wait to take it on a trip and surf it in good pt. break waves. I've owned a ton of boards and all of Neal's boards feel great....rails are perfect and glass job solid.
Bman76 said:
Awesome boards. I've had several and still own a 2+1 for better waves.
My favourite board of all time was a stringerless quartet. It was one of his early quartets so it had more nose and less tail. Quite pronounced concaves and it was so front foot friendly and absolutely ripped from knee high to overhead. I snapped it of course...
My next quartet was different. More egg like, more rocker and it felt almost completely flat underneath. I had moments of brilliance on it and some frustration.
I had a small wave quartet - a squail and i loved the loose feeling from the rounded square tail - lots of fun in rubbish surf. Very fast.
I had a single fin mote style board. Loved the outline, but struggled with how to ride it to full effect.
I had a second hand duo. This was an interesting board. Again, moments of brilliance - blistering speed and incredible hold in bigger waves - but couldn't get it to work in the daily stuff i tend to surf.
My 2+1 is such a good wave board - barrels, speed, control - you name it - it has it.
I will get on another quartet again, or a shorter 2+1, but NPJ is a busy guy and doesn't deal with his emails directly anymore and if i'm going to fork out $1400 for a custom - i gotta speak with the shaper directly.
Get one - you won't regret it. Real craftsman, real design.
I'm interested in the Duo. Does he shape the fins himself, or can you just use regular twin fin keels on the board? Seems like this would be important considering the fin placement. Love the style of his surfing. Reminds me a lot of Rasta's. I'd watch his surfing for days compared the boring as sh!t top-turn-bottom-turn, air-reverse dudes.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I'm a huge fan of his boards and his surfing. I have 3 of his boards at the moment.

5'8 Bean/Duo: Great little board and one of my all time favourite boards. I pretty much only ride it with the Duo set up these days. It is quite hard to describe the feeling of the Duo, very unique. NPJ's description "snakey" is a good one. Deep, drivey and connected (to the wave face) feeling with the ability to pivot very tight in the pocket and really lay into turns. Personally it makes me surf the way I want to surf, connecting the dots smoothly but able to give it some oomph when you get there ( if that makes sense??)
As a quad, it feels a little bit more nimble and is easier to generate your own speed in softer conditions. It grovels quite well as the wide tail would suggest but also holds when conditions are bigger and more powerful. Knee to chest and flat faced for quad, thigh to well overhead with shape I'd go the Duo set up.

6'3 Sweet Pea (double "bump" flyer round pin, 4 channel): This is my step up, hollow wave board. Paddles like a dream, gets in early and holds in critical waves. One thing I will say, I didn't necessarily gel with this board with the fins supplied which surprised me. Felt far to twitchy and hard to control. It came with quite upright quad fronts with rear quads 1/8 shorter base and more rake, but I preferred it with Large FCS 7 series fin up front and GX rears. In pumping waves it has tracked on occasion and this board was built for waves like Kirra so I suspect the supplied fin set would work in those types of waves.

6'6 Quartet: Bought this for a steal used. I wanted this to bridge the gap between my shortboards and midlength. Something that would paddle like a midlength but turn like a shortboard and it does just that. This is as close to a one board quiver as I've come. I've had it out in 1ft slop to 2xHH and offshore and its performed flawlessly. Most of my quiver is under 5'10 at the moment so the length took a bit of getting used to but now this is one of my all time favourites. If I'm not sure what coastline I'll be surfing or what it's going to be like I just chuck it in the car and it's always a good time.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Would love to try one (actually, several of his models)! The vids of the duo look like a single
that can be surfed more aggressively and a bit more snappy and playful. IMO

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
000 said:
i'd expect an ex pro surfing perfect indo to rip any board
is that even ripping? im guessing evne our resident F()ckehead fred cold do that after two days of that kind of surf on just about any board......like a ...lost video..whats it matter in a more than decent head high point break?

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach

Love my duo. I've surfed it in waist high to head high beach break and it's a blast. But recently surfed it at c st and rincon and it really lit up. it let's me surf the way I appreciate single fin surfing but with more drive. As someone said here snakey feel. Great hold through cutbacks, comes off the bottom well, pivots off the top nice. All around great board. Probably not for everyone. For me I will use it at point breaks always and at the local beach breaks when I want to change things up

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
nkpheous said:

Love my duo. I've surfed it in waist high to head high beach break and it's a blast. But recently surfed it at c st and rincon and it really lit up. it let's me surf the way I appreciate single fin surfing but with more drive. As someone said here snakey feel. Great hold through cutbacks, comes off the bottom well, pivots off the top nice. All around great board. Probably not for everyone. For me I will use it at point breaks always and at the local beach breaks when I want to change things up
I keep staring at that fin setup. Looks just mad!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Someone locally is selling a Duo with this tail. The guy selling it is calling it a 'double gun tail'. Seems fishy to me. Anyone had any experience with one of these? All the reviews and vids of the Duo have that rounded pin tail...

Also, he's asking US$700 for it. Seems a bit steep...

[img:center]https://s30.postimg.org/t7tnsn2j5/17991439_10158498231935612_56847151255686978_o.jpg[/img]

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Goodfish said:
Someone locally is selling a Duo with this tail. The guy selling it is calling it a 'double gun tail'. Seems fishy to me. Anyone had any experience with one of these? All the reviews and vids of the Dup have that rounded pin tail...

Also, he's asking US$700 for it. Seems a bit steep...

[img:center]https://s30.postimg.org/t7tnsn2j5/17991439_10158498231935612_56847151255686978_o.jpg[/img]
I wouldn't kick her out of bed...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Nice Instagramies, guys!

Any thoughts on that fishy tail with those Duo fins, Greg?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Fishy one looks nice , tail template is a bit more curvy , maybe not as good for this modified single fin .

And yes Email him .

1980 on the North Shore Cort Gion did not care for the in fashion MR style twin .

He made his with the rears at 8" no toe in and straight up - they worked the best at that time and were very popular .

Another early variation :