Mysterious behavior from A hole in Porto

Sep 1, 2019
Today there was a guy sitting in the middle of the main pack doing something I had never seen before. After complaining loudly about the kooks all around him ("Look at this giant pack of kooks"), he started splashing the water around his surfboard, in each direction, every 30 seconds. It was as if he was trying to make the invisible surfers around him wet. My best guess is that he was trying to create a "circumference", a kind of warning to stay back. Was anyone else out today at Porto who saw this Zinc-covered psychopath? Maybe you know him. I paddled as far away as I could, which probably made him happy.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Today there was a guy sitting in the middle of the main pack doing something I had never seen before. After complaining loudly about the kooks all around him ("Look at this giant pack of kooks"), he started splashing the water around his surfboard, in each direction, every 30 seconds. It was as if he was trying to make the invisible surfers around him wet. My best guess is that he was trying to create a "circumference", a kind of warning to stay back. Was anyone else out today at Porto who saw this Zinc-covered psychopath? Maybe you know him. I paddled as far away as I could, which probably made him happy.
Nobody wants to mess with crazy. This strategy works. Ask Bassy about fake fights, LOL.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Was he a ripper? Or just another kook?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
El or Escondido?
Being that he typed "Porto" I'm assuming he's referring to the South Bay.

Mental illness is fairly common, even in mild forms. My brother had to diffuse a situation at a coffee shop in the bay area not long ago where a lady walked in and started laying into another woman saying she followed her in there and what was she doing coming after her like this!? My brother say it for what it was and calmed the lady down, but you just never know when someone is going off their nut and cant control their logic & reasoning anymore. Kinda sad actually.

Reactions: kieranthered

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
This type of action(s) can be explained easily through Psychology and a sub-sector of it - Primate Behavior territorialism.

He is displaying a vocalization method that has been documented since the 1970’s in many primate groups. When resources become scarce, or crowding becomes a factor, anxiety is created and become elevated. To relieve that anxiety, primates use several techniques. They are :_______ , ________, ________, __________.

Seriously, I took Primate Behavior in College as one of my Psych courses. I thought immediately of localism/surfing during that chapter.

Whenever I get stinkeyes, a National Geographic TV voice pops in my head documenting the behavior. :)

Sep 1, 2019
Being that he typed "Porto" I'm assuming he's referring to the South Bay.

Mental illness is fairly common, even in mild forms. My brother had to diffuse a situation at a coffee shop in the bay area not long ago where a lady walked in and started laying into another woman saying she followed her in there and what was she doing coming after her like this!? My brother say it for what it was and calmed the lady down, but you just never know when someone is going off their nut and cant control their logic & reasoning anymore. Kinda sad actually.
Great thoughts here. We have so much undiagnosed, untreated mental illness and you just never know what's going on in someone's head. Where they are coming from, what shitty environment or life stresses they will have to come home too. From that perspective, I feel for the guy. Even if he drove home in a Tesla.

What was that now old Nirvana song, Territorial Pissings? Territorial Splashings. We'll all a bunch of monkeys and better learn to play together.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
After a couple of decent days at Ventura Point, you'll be doing the same...

Malibu north

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Isn't Porto where the baby great whites like to hang out?
They used to. Haven't seen them for a while now.

And while I sympathize with the dude's POV and find his unorthodox tactics amusing, what the f@ck does he expect surfing El Poopo? That place has turned into a sh!tshow the past couple of years. I used to be able to dawn patrol (relatively) uncrowded waves and now the parking lot is packed and the lineup is full from the pier to the plant jetty before sunrise most mornings.