MR Supertwin vs MR Retrotwin?

lorcar

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 20, 2008
flatMed
did any of you try both? what's the difference (besides the RT not having the central fin/stabilizer)? when would you pick one vs the other?
I thought the Supertwin to be the most popular, but on the web/instagram i see a lot of people raving about the Retrotwin

thanks

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
I have a 5'10" x 19 3/4" x 2 5/8" 1980 Retro Twin that MR shaped, and a 6'0" x 19 7/8" x 2 7/16" Super Twin that Rick Rock shaped. (I'm 6'1, 170 lbs.) The main difference is the Super Twin is a modern shortboard with concave, etc. and the Retro Twin is a retro model with wide point forward, deep vee, etc. The Super Twin I have was the latest computer file and has a flattish deck and the rails seem more high-volumed; I could have gone an 1/8" thinner no problem. But I really like the Super Twin, I instantly clicked with it, it's fast and turns freely and is user friendly. For me, there is a learning curve with the Retro Twin, and I haven't clicked with it yet. That's obviously my problem. It seems to need constant rail to rail movement to generate speed and I haven't been able to devote enough time to figure it out. Not sure if this helps or not; either way you go and whether MR or RR shapes it, ...lost San Clemente does nice work with these boards.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think MR was surfing a "Supertwin 2" at the surf ranch. Board looked great. That is the one I would probably go for, unless you wanted the full 70s experience.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkI-b_-Dvf_/?taken-by=markrichardssurfboards

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkV0un-jC9W/?taken-by=markrichardssurfboards

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkTQLsvjBye/?taken-by=markrichardssurfboards

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I've got a Super twin and a Retro 80 twin, both finished by MR.

My Super twin is from a few years ago and it's a small wave shortboard built around the twin plus trailer setup. The wing placement is really the key on mine, it just has a ton of bite when engaged. Best board I've ever owned.

I believe Mark has recently adjusted the dims of the Super Twin, they look a bit different than mine. Maybe to give the board an even better low end.

My Retro twin is the first twin I've ridden that never spins out. It's a great daily driver for a retro shape, very performance oriented and not a groveller.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
grendel95 said:
I've got a Super twin and a Retro 80 twin, both finished by MR.

My Super twin is from a few years ago and it's a small wave shortboard built around the twin plus trailer setup. The wing placement is really the key on mine, it just has a ton of bite when engaged. Best board I've ever owned.

I believe Mark has recently adjusted the dims of the Super Twin, they look a bit different than mine. Maybe to give the board an even better low end.

My Retro twin is the first twin I've ridden that never spins out. It's a great daily driver for a retro shape, very performance oriented and not a groveller.
Thanks grendel now u got me wanting a supertwin.

Had a cole modern twin that was insanely good. Figured this wud fit same bandwidth