Moving San Diego

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Surf is pretty disappointing compared to the North Shore. Put it this way, an average day in Hawaii during the winter is probably an epic day for SOCAL.

Housing is expensive but the food and everything else is much cheaper. I live a little inland since I don't have time to surf everyday. I probably wouldn't surf everyday even if I lived by the coast because I hate cold water.

Oh and be prepared to be cold in the winter. I wake up and it's 40 degrees and there's ice on my car's windshield. So dawn patrol is not like O'ahu.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
1) yes, waves pretty much all over. pick your zone based on your culture/scene.

OB/MB/PB/LJ/DM/ENCI/CBAD/OSide are all wildly different places people wise. different creatures all over SD. Even north and south oside are now wildly different due to housing gentrification.

I lived in all of them other than MB and Oside.

imo, enci is absolutely overpriced for what it is. for the uninitiated its worth hopping beach town to beach town to feel them out.

2) super grovel, grovel, good wave grovel, semi-grovel, and 1 step down hpsb.

3) shapers are everywhere you look, as stated.

4) for seasons we have:

cloudy muggy summer (May-July)
sunny humid summer (August-October)
secret summer (November-January)
cold windy summer (February to May)

5) oye

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Groveler
Longboard
Fish
Shortboard

There's basically moving to the North American central for surfboard manufacturing. Every 3rd peak, you'll find a different brand to be THE board to ride.

You don't need a stepup or you probably have plenty.
3/2 & 4/3 cuz you from da aina.

Are you sure you are not my friend James? LOL. He lived at Sunset Point and his wife is from SD too.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Grew up in Del Mar since the early 80's and my family still lives there. My wife and I live in the "92122" east of La Jolla. Feel free to PM me for anything or if you want to meet up for a surf.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Are you selling on Oahu and buying in SD? Renting? What? The surf and crowds are what they are, good luck getting used to it after the sequence you posted up of yourself at Sunset.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for her to come out here, so I'm going there.

Anyway, question time. I know next to nothing about SD, or the surf there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place?
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns?
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits?
5.) Best Mexican food?

Cheers

How's that 6'0" nautilus? Had my eye on one at that length.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Take care vanrysss. I personally really like San Diego.

1. Location: La Jolla. I know an uninhabited shack that has a great ocean view. That's me btw and I had this secret spot all to myself.
131114_01.jpg

2. Quiver: Fish mandatory. Compliments BA (RIP) every time I visited.
050713_01.jpeg

3. Shapers/Shops: Ask Bird to borrow one.
Birds_wide_800.jpg

4. Weather: Not the coldest I've ever had to deal with (I've never used booties, gloves, or hoods). Going bodysurfing with the sea lions.
060526_04.jpg

5. Mexican food: Sacrilege but I really like Rubios
Rubios_dinner_2016.jpg

Last edited: