Most popular cars in Hawaii ~

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

A waitress I work with who has a plot of land where she grow vegetables just bought a 2003 Toyota 4x4 Landcruiser with 276,000 miles on it. No rust on the undercarriage, under the hood was dusty with the normal use look. Previous owner had switched to synthetic oil, air filter was brand new, brakes and tires were in good condition. No body rust.. She paid $9,000.00 for the rig with air con, 2 rows of leather seats, 3rd row removed. Mainland car shipped to Hawaii.

My 2006 Toyota Sequoia, 2 rwd has 140,300 miles on it. She and I are both happy with our purchase, even with the price of gas and the LOW mpg that we both get. dumb n' dumber perhaps??

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
She and I are both happy with our purchase, even with the price of gas and the LOW mpg that we both get. dumb n' dumber perhaps??
Perhaps not. You didn't say anything about commuting past two belt highways in/out of Dallas or Houston or Atlanta 5 days/week.

Between maintenance and vehicle replacement costs, I'd say unless you are severely discounting your commute (doesn't sound like you really have one relative to haole suburbia) smart n' smarter.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
My son lives on Maui and I am always amazed at the amounts of Toyotas there. Been more than happy with my last 7 Toyotas and got my last one from a nice older man up in Washington State. Flew up and drove it back.

My son is here on the mainland looking to buy and ship it back.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Perhaps not. You didn't say anything about commuting past two belt highways in/out of Dallas or Houston or Atlanta 5 days/week.

Between maintenance and vehicle replacement costs, I'd say unless you are severely discounting your commute (doesn't sound like you really have one relative to haole suburbia) smart n' smarter.
Her commute is probably 40+ miles from her residence to & from work or veggie plot round trip, another 10 for surf checks & etc, daily.
Mine, from Kilauea to Hanalei, 12 miles r/t, to and from work + 6 for surf checks, etc daily.
I'll make the one way 23 miles run into Lihue for Costco gas & food, Home Depot & such about every 8 or 9 days + / - with a 26 gallon fuel tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsidegrab

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Her commute is probably 40+ miles from her residence to & from work or veggie plot round trip, another 10 for surf checks & etc, daily.
Mine, from Kilauea to Hanalei, 12 miles r/t, to and from work + 6 for surf checks, etc daily.
I'll make the one way 23 miles run into Lihue for Costco gas & food, Home Depot & such about every 8 or 9 days + / - with a 26 gallon fuel tank.
I am guessing agribusiness and surf/rescue work requires those rigs. Given how long they last, the non-exorbitant maintenance, availability of parts, etc. that it's a good idea.

Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

View attachment 129505
:shrug:
Umm?? Thanks but no thanks .... Would Not work for flood conditions into / out of Hanalei nor getting electrocuted while sitting in your Moke. Getting stuck in the sand here would run the battery down completely. The undercarriage would get ripped out if the Moke was taken out on the old sugarcane red dirt roads.
And the "mokes" in their 4x4 lifted Tacoma's would most certainly just run over the top of the "street legal Moke" with or with out the Formula 1 driver at the wheel. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: hklocal and Havoc

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the pics he Quoted is suspension.
I know, it just made me think of being there

I think what makes the middle one so goofy looking are the tires

There's no axle clearance because those are like 32s

Are short + wide tires better than 35s, 37s, 40s? Florida and the PNW go with tall tires

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Some gold in here

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and bluemarlin04