Mizata El Salvador with the wife?

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
You should check out K59 @Goofy_Footed

I had the most fun there and everyone is pretty mellow.

Revo cutback.

I rode my 5'3" Revo most of the trip. I only rode the Hydroshort at La Rocca and Mizata when it was OH.

I didn't surf Sunzal, but I surfed La Bocana and there was a rip, but nothing crazy. I felt like it was similar to Trestles when it has a bit of a rip going on.
Sick! I'll definitely try to get to K59. Thanks for all the info

Reactions: ReForest

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
@Goofy_Footed Sunzal is completely mellow on pretty much every front, other than the k00k factor and wearing sets on bigger days when you're sitting underneath for the steep nuggets that swing under the floatboats out the back scared of getting caught. Maybe getting out if the sand's gone you'll get some cobblestones smacked into your feet/ankles/shins.

Oh yeah getting out of the water walking up the resort's tile when you're dripping wet. Dangerous as all hell.

Entry at K-61 can get sporty. Wait for it to draw out so you can really see the rocks, and you will get swept when you're in close so be looking down-current. Upon exit, be absolutely certain you're going to come in to the tiny little covelet - don't procrastinate getting in close up-current.

When the tide gets too high at the point at Zonte there can be kind of a crazy rip but it's more an aggravation than something to actually worry about, because right around the top is a broad back beach and fording the river is minor.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Duus getting cleaned up right now at Sunzal. Surfline calling it 4-6 + today but definitely some 8’ faces. Wind was dead calm this morning, but it’s been pretty mellow all day. Caught some fun ones, but it’s farking crowded if you try to surf during the peak times. Lots of beginners and peeps who think they can surf (but can’t) putting everyone in danger.

0EFC8300-8F20-489F-A67C-17A5E8AC6A0A.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Damn! That is solid! :love:

I freakin love El Sal. Have fun! Post more pics! Stay hydrated and surf till your brain melts! :jamon:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Damn! That is solid! :love:

I freakin love El Sal. Have fun! Post more pics! Stay hydrated and surf till your brain melts! :jamon:
Thanks man. Yeah it’s been great! Great people, food, all that.It’s definitely hot af here. I actually over did it on the first day and had to down some hydration packets. All good now though.

Ive been surfing a little later in the mornings and early afternoons to try and avoid the heavy crowds. So far so good

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Thanks man. Yeah it’s been great! Great people, food, all that.It’s definitely hot af here. I actually over did it on the first day and had to down some hydration packets. All good now though.

Ive been surfing a little later in the mornings and early afternoons to try and avoid the heavy crowds. So far so good
which boar of the 3 have you been riding the most?

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
which boar of the 3 have you been riding the most?
I rode the 5’6 Bullet as a twin/trailer on the first afternoon and second morning, when it was about CH. It went great. The second afternoon it started to get a little bigger/heavier and the Bullet was all over the place. After that, I’ve been on the 5’9 Sub Driver ever since. First with some M Reactors (felt too twitchy) so I switched to L Fannings (just right). I might take the Bom Dia out on Thursday/Friday, since the swell is supposed to drop just a hair and I feel pretty comfortable on the SD in the bigger stuff right now.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I rode the Bullet as a twin/trailer on the first afternoon and second morning, when it was about CH. It went great. The second afternoon it started to get a little bigger/heavier and the Bullet was all over the place. After that, I’ve been on the 5’9 Sub Driver ever since. First with some M Reactors (felt too twitchy) so I switched to L Fannings (just right). I might take the Bom Dia out on Thursday/Friday, since the swell is supposed to drop just a hair and I feel pretty comfortable on the SD in the bigger stuff right now.
nice. when I was there RNF96 with twin/trailer worked well in up to CH at Sunzal and Zonte, beyond that I was on a Mini Ghost with AM2s.

I'd love to go back there with just my Pyzalien and a couple different fin sets

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
nice. when I was there RNF96 with twin/trailer worked well in up to CH at Sunzal and Zonte, beyond that I was on a Mini Ghost with AM2s.

I'd love to go back there with just my Pyzalien and a couple different fin sets
Yeah P2 would be a good one. I actually wouldn’t have minded a little more length/volume today to get in a little earlier and to dodge the clean up sets.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Duus getting cleaned up right now at Sunzal. Surfline calling it 4-6 + today but definitely some 8’ faces. Wind was dead calm this morning, but it’s been pretty mellow all day. Caught some fun ones, but it’s farking crowded if you try to surf during the peak times. Lots of beginners and peeps who think they can surf (but can’t) putting everyone in danger.

View attachment 177563
i wore some mackers on the head over there on the biggest day i was there last year. 8-12 according to surfline. sharkbiscuit described it perfectly. sitting a little inside waiting for these tweeners that stand up, swing and miss on one turn around and im like 20 feet in front of what was one of the biggest waves ive personally taken on the head..got so lit up, maybe 5 more on the head - terrified of losing my board all the way out there so i was just bear hug duck diving and praying.

its a cluster fuck over there but only was 9-10 guys actually sitting at the top of the point the days i surfed it. everyone got a bunch.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
i wore some mackers on the head over there on the biggest day i was there last year. 8-12 according to surfline. sharkbiscuit described it perfectly. sitting a little inside waiting for these tweeners that stand up, swing and miss on one turn around and im like 20 feet in front of what was one of the biggest waves ive personally taken on the head..got so lit up, maybe 5 more on the head - terrified of losing my board all the way out there so i was just bear hug duck diving and praying.

its a cluster fuck over there but only was 9-10 guys actually sitting at the top of the point the days i surfed it. everyone got a bunch.
Lol yep I made that mistake once today and paid the price. Learned my lesson quick. Although I couldn’t imagine how big it was for you if Surfline was calling it 8-12 :drowning:

After that, the sketchy part was dodging all the beginners ditching their boars when a set comes through.

Reactions: ReForest

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Lol yep I made that mistake once today and paid the price. Learned my lesson quick. Although I couldn’t imagine how big it was for you if Surfline was calling it 8-12 :drowning:

After that, the sketchy part was dodging all the beginners ditching their boars when a set comes through.
those 2 days the only surfable places were sunzal and punta roca. evrything else was maxxd out. third time down and never seen it like that.

and hahah yea - the surf school sh!t is nuts out there. there were people getting pushed into bombs when i was there and just getting destroyed. i guess thats one way to learn. :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Goofy_Footed

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Today was nice. Overcast skies and a light onshore breeze. Didn’t feel like we even broke 90 degrees. Everyone surfed the early morning session and got out around 10am. That’s when I made my way out with only 4 other people in the lineup. Yesterday’s swell died out some, but there were still HH + sets coming through. Surfed for about an hour and a half, until some lightning started popping. Came in for about 30 minutes to pound some agua and then headed back out for another hour and a half. Lucky for me, the wife had a little too much Vohdka (as the locals say) last night, so no plans and left me to get my turn on.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
@Goofy_Footed So overall how did the trip go? Got any pics?
The trip was insane...both the wife and I loved it! She doesn't surf, but if you give her a book and a cocktail and splash in some other activities (yoga, massages, shopping in El Tunco) , she's perfectly content. We stayed in one of the oceanfront places at Casa de Mar...man what a view! Had our own little pool on the balcony and every afternoon we/she could sit there and watch people/me surf right up to the balcony. Free breakfast, fresh juice and fruit every morning. After a surf, the staff would run up to you with a big bottle of water and ask if they could take your board for you. Really good lunch and dinner options on-site as well. Everyone super friendly and welcoming. They picked us up from, and drove us to the airport as well.

As far as the surf, I lucked out and got really good waves the whole trip. The first day was the smallest (CH-SH) but it gave me a session or two to get used to the lineup and the wave. After that, every day was at least HH with some 1-2 OH days. Because I was surfing solo, I didn't venture to any other waves besides Sunzal and Bocana, but honestly never really felt the need to because of how good it was. My buddy is having his bday there next year, so we'll be doing more exploring then.

The wave and setup at Sunzal was pretty much exactly how sharkbiscuit described it, and the best bet was to sit inside of the longboarders and outside of the surf schools to get the most waves. It was definitely crowded, but using this strategy got me more than enough waves. I don't like crowds and I don't mind a little bit of wind, so I surfed during the "off" hours...late mornings, after everyone got out from the dawn patrol session, and early afternoons, before everyone headed out for the sunset session. Bocana is a little more of a focused peak, so it's more bunched up and a little tougher to catch a bunch of waves, but there's less beginners in the water and everyone was pretty chill. I really liked having Bocana within walking distance so I could get some lefts during the trip.

I rode the 5'6 Bullet as a twin/trailer on the first two days (until the swell got too big) then switched to the 5'9 Sub Driver for the rest of the trip. I have to admit, getting back on a shortboard/thruster in good waves felt really nice! I hadn't ridden a board like the SD in well over a year, and I'll probably add some more thrusters to the quiver this year. The BomDia never got wet :(

As far as pics, I don't really have any...just pics of the wife and I at dinner, etc. (not posting those :ROFLMAO:) She does most of the picture taking when we go out of town.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The trip was insane...both the wife and I loved it! She doesn't surf, but if you give her a book and a cocktail and splash in some other activities (yoga, massages, shopping in El Tunco) , she's perfectly content. We stayed in one of the oceanfront places at Casa de Mar...man what a view! Had our own little pool on the balcony and every afternoon we/she could sit there and watch people/me surf right up to the balcony. Free breakfast, fresh juice and fruit every morning. After a surf, the staff would run up to you with a big bottle of water and ask if they could take your board for you. Really good lunch and dinner options on-site as well. Everyone super friendly and welcoming. They picked us up from, and drove us to the airport as well.

As far as the surf, I lucked out and got really good waves the whole trip. The first day was the smallest (CH-SH) but it gave me a session or two to get used to the lineup and the wave. After that, every day was at least HH with some 1-2 OH days. Because I was surfing solo, I didn't venture to any other waves besides Sunzal and Bocana, but honestly never really felt the need to because of how good it was. My buddy is having his bday there next year, so we'll be doing more exploring then.

The wave and setup at Sunzal was pretty much exactly how sharkbiscuit described it, and the best bet was to sit inside of the longboarders and outside of the surf schools to get the most waves. It was definitely crowded, but using this strategy got me more than enough waves. I don't like crowds and I don't mind a little bit of wind, so I surfed during the "off" hours...late mornings, after everyone got out from the dawn patrol session, and early afternoons, before everyone headed out for the sunset session. Bocana is a little more of a focused peak, so it's more bunched up and a little tougher to catch a bunch of waves, but there's less beginners in the water and everyone was pretty chill. I really liked having Bocana within walking distance so I could get some lefts during the trip.

I rode the 5'6 Bullet as a twin/trailer on the first two days (until the swell got too big) then switched to the 5'9 Sub Driver for the rest of the trip. I have to admit, getting back on a shortboard/thruster in good waves felt really nice! I hadn't ridden a board like the SD in well over a year, and I'll probably add some more thrusters to the quiver this year. The BomDia never got wet :(

As far as pics, I don't really have any...just pics of the wife and I at dinner, etc. (not posting those :ROFLMAO:) She does most of the picture taking when we go out of town.
Epic! That is my wife to a tee.

My trip there was solo so it's nice to hear about this place to take the lady. She is not too crazy about 3rd world countries so this sounds like a nice and safe place for her. How were the prices? I'll check them out, but just curious what you overall cost was.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Epic! That is my wife to a tee.

My trip there was solo so it's nice to hear about this place to take the lady. She is not too crazy about 3rd world countries so this sounds like a nice and safe place for her. How were the prices? I'll check them out, but just curious what you overall cost was.
Yeah, she was kind of skeptical when I first mentioned going to El Salvador, but once we got there she was super happy and wants to go back in the future. What really made it was that she could walk to El Tunco at mid - low tide every day while I was surfing.

Prices weren't bad at all. She travels a lot for work, so we used her points and airline status for the flight and no boar fees. The room was about $350-ish/night I think. Dinner meals ranged from $12 burgers to $25 steak and lobster. Lunch meals were around $15. Drinks weren't bad either...beers were cheap and alcohol was $8 - $10, depending on where you went and what you got.