Mink Systems

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Hi,

Anybody here running Mink Systems? I for one am intrigued. I like the idea of adding fins to make smaller size fin sets work. Had outstanding experience with Rusty C5 set up, with 5 fins I could use smaller than my standard creating much more free feeling with less findepth (more to it than that of coarse with the twinzer effect but still) Also had similar/yet different sensation adding the nubster to a Lost Mini Driver, a board I tried lots of sets out that never clicked until adding nibster to a smaller than my normal size quad set, magic combo for me. I see merit here but curious if any here have tried before I jump out the window and glue these to my tail, ha!

Thanks!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hi,

Anybody here running Mink Systems? I for one am intrigued. I like the idea of adding fins to make smaller size fin sets work. Had outstanding experience with Rusty C5 set up, with 5 fins I could use smaller than my standard creating much more free feeling with less findepth (more to it than that of coarse with the twinzer effect but still) Also had similar/yet different sensation adding the nubster to a Lost Mini Driver, a board I tried lots of sets out that never clicked until adding nibster to a smaller than my normal size quad set, magic combo for me. I see merit here but curious if any here have tried before I jump out the window and glue these to my tail, ha!

Thanks!

$52 for four little pieces of plastic? They have a huge profit margin!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
not the same stuff I picked up some and they are thick
Mark Spindler made the best add ons
the Vektor fins from Hawaiian South shore are the closest for plugs

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
So nobody's here has tried or plans to, got it. thanks

Btw-50 seems in line with plastic thruster set.

I think they will need to set them up on some of these surfboard demo days with reputable brands backing their merit (in far future of coarse).

I would still like to try, could have used some more thrust today in crumbling sections. Not that these would be the only answer but maybe an answer

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So nobody's here has tried or plans to, got it. thanks

Btw-50 seems in line with plastic thruster set.

I think they will need to set them up on some of these surfboard demo days with reputable brands backing their merit (in far future of coarse).

I would still like to try, could have used some more thrust today in crumbling sections. Not that these would be the only answer but maybe an answer
They're promoting a weird placement. More drag/control won't make you go faster.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
They're promoting a weird placement. More drag/control won't make you go faster.
Agreed, placement is counterintuitive but in regards to the effect i was thinking more in terms of equal drag/control by displaced area while pairing them a smaller set of standard fins.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Agreed, placement is counterintuitive but in regards to the effect i was thinking more in terms of equal drag/control by displaced area while pairing them a smaller set of standard fins.
Yeah, it should work for your intended purpose.

When I first got interested in MVGs, I bought a set of plastic fins for cars off Amazon, like the ones that someone linked to. Didn't ever do anything with them, so can't give any feedback.

Main differences between tuna finlets and these:
1) control water flow after the main dorsal and ahead of the upper/lower caudal lobes;
2) articulate in opposite unison.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

When I first got interested in MVGs, I bought a set of plastic fins for cars off Amazon, like the ones that someone linked to. Didn't ever do anything with them, so can't give any feedback.

1) control water flow after the main dorsal and ahead of the upper/lower caudal lobes;

Wow GS, thanks! Considering this I can see why you didn't use the car fins and not sure how the tuna's natural fin placement is applicable to anything currently being applied to surfing (except maybe twinser and Greaugh single fins). This is certainly evolutionary and wonderful. Not familiar with MVG's.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Davey has been on this trip for a few years...

http://instagr.am/p/BnrXqs9nnGrULadfXY0M3k87is_jT-kj--pDeE0/

Reactions: chilly1