Mini Simmons fin set up?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Picked up a 5'6 x 22 1/2 x 3 Austin mini simmons and it's an absolute Blast to ride and is set up with 5 FCS 1 plugs.

Currently being run as a twin with FCS FK2 keels - 3 tab - in the rear and it's fast and twin shreddy, but was looking for a good quad recommend for something drivey, yet still fast and loose enough to turn.

Anyone got any ideas?

Quad fin cluster is tight together and out on the rail.

Thanks!

mini simsfins.jpeg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Controllers
I Use the fins unlimited glass #3 great quad set skatin' little waves:)

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Send an email to Robin Mair @ Hanalei Fins, his fins may look a bit strange but work amazingly well

Reactions: Chocki

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you want to go fast, make sure all fins are flat foiled.

If you want to pivot quick, make sure the rear fins are upright.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks all- keep em coming.

Those Hanalei fins are unreal, and I do love this board, but would feel like the moment on Ozark last season when the marriage counselor pulls up in the McClaren...

Flat foiled, fast and drivey quad set for a close cluster out to the rail, that won't blow out FCS 1 plugs.
GO...

Reactions: JTS and MathDebater

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
61elKK9USyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I put these on a mini Simmons I made for myself last summer and they work great. I kind of wish I routed the rear futures boxes out deeper to fit a full tang fin.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i use the same fins i put in my regular shortboards
for that austin i'd start with GL rears K fins in front (really u can use whatever u like in front, standard size)
if that wasnt quite enough bite or drive, switch the back to GX

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Picked up a 5'6 x 22 1/2 x 3 Austin mini simmons and it's an absolute Blast to ride and is set up with 5 FCS 1 plugs.

Currently being run as a twin with FCS FK2 keels - 3 tab - in the rear and it's fast and twin shreddy, but was looking for a good quad recommend for something drivey, yet still fast and loose enough to turn.

Anyone got any ideas?

Quad fin cluster is tight together and out on the rail.

Thanks!

View attachment 96446
i think greg griffin's head just exploded!

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
i use the same fins i put in my regular shortboards
for that austin i'd start with GL rears K fins in front (really u can use whatever u like in front, standard size)
if that wasnt quite enough bite or drive, switch the back to GX
Thanks. I have a JC Flying fish quad fish I've been running JC1 fronts and Futures 3.25 sidebites rear(full depth rear boxes) and the set up has been Killer there, but was hoping to get it on with something a bit different.
Really wish that new Machado quad set was FCS 1...

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pacific Vibrations family?
They have a set of DVS - and others- that actually look quite tasty. I just can't speak to foiling or construction.
Also these compressors look fun as hell-

Actually Havoc, I got offered a set of GG quads, but wasn't too sure being how board specific his fins are.

Thanks!