Midnight Mitch.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Except you can't use executive privilege to hide an illegal act.
The only way to know if it was an illegal act is to see the evidence.
The evidence is being hidden by executive privilege.
Which can't be used to hide an illegal act. The only way to know if it was an illegal act is to see the evidence.
Which can't be used to hide an illegal act. The only way to know if it was an illegal act is to see the evidence.
Which can't be used to hide an illegal act.
That's what the courts are for, and that was the remedy the House had to solve their problem. There haste to bypass that remedy doesn't make Trump guilty of obstruction.

When the cops go to search someone's home we don't charge them with obstruction when they tell the cops to go get a warrant.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That's what the courts are for, and that was the remedy the House had to solve their problem. There haste to bypass that remedy doesn't make Trump guilty of obstruction.

When the cops go to search someone's home we don't charge them with obstruction when they tell the cops to go get a warrant.
pompeo and mulvaney both defied their subpoenas

trump appointees have run interference in the courts with procedural delays

your analogy would be more apt if the homeowner refused search even when
provided with a warrant, no?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

This. Mitch wants to haul ass because the courts have ordered release of some materials, with deadlines, and it's going to come out through late Winter/early Spring.

Only instead of Trump/Bannon/Cambridge/Wikileaks orchestrating it, it's the end result of Team Dumpf employing the most shortsighted, narrow strategy in politics known to man. It's some sort of splatterpaint modern art that came out Rembrandt. Something like harmonic dissonance or some sh!t.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad

The procedural delays are part of the game, and everyone understood that at the outset. Same with blowing off House-issued subpeonas, which by definition will be subject to appeal in this example. It wasn't the courts who issued the subpeona, but essentially the prosecutors. There are 3 branches to the power of the federal govt, not just 2.

The House had remedies that they chose to not exercise, so their lapse does not prove Trump was not allowed to tell them to go to the courts.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
This. Mitch wants to haul ass because the courts have ordered release of some materials, with deadlines, and it's going to come out through late Winter/early Spring.

Only instead of Trump/Bannon/Cambridge/Wikileaks orchestrating it, it's the end result of Team Dumpf employing the most shortsighted, narrow strategy in politics known to man. It's some sort of splatterpaint modern art that came out Rembrandt. Something like harmonic dissonance or some sh!t.
I think that's very possible.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The procedural delays are part of the game, and everyone understood that at the outset. Same with blowing off House-issued subpeonas, which by definition will be subject to appeal in this example. It wasn't the courts who issued the subpeona, but essentially the prosecutors. There are 3 branches to the power of the federal govt, not just 2.

The House had remedies that they chose to not exercise, so their lapse does not prove Trump was not allowed to tell them to go to the courts.
that the system is being gamed does not make your analogy any more apropos

Reactions: Phi1

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Except you can't use executive privilege to hide an illegal act.

Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit

You're claiming that the reason you don't have evidence is executive privilege.

If you had evidence to convict Trump of an illegal act what you said might be relevant. You are admitting that you don't have that evidence. The way to pursue a criminal charge against a sitting president, in order to qualify for overriding executive privilege, is impeachment. You don't have evidence that Trump committed an illegal act, so you don't have the evidence required to convict Trump in impeachment. That means you have no basis to override executive privilege.

It is what it is. This has been true since October. Only t-o-t-a-l - f-u-c-k-i-n-g - I-D-I-O-T-S can't understand this.

• Haha
Reactions: mundus

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
If evidence came out today that completely exonerated POTUS I guess that couldn't be used in Senate hearings either?

I realize this stance presumes guilt, but this is not a criminal trial. If it were they probably would have just used obstruction outlined in Mueller report.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
it, it's the end result of Team Dumpf employing the most shortsighted, narrow strategy in politics known to man. It's some sort of splatterpaint modern art that came out Rembrandt. Something like harmonic dissonance or some sh!t.
Isn't that is trumps MO?

Then he bails with his loot, leaving a desiccated husk of what the enterprise used to be? .

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
If evidence came out today that completely exonerated POTUS I guess that couldn't be used in Senate hearings either?

I realize this stance presumes guilt, but this is not a criminal trial. If it were they probably would have just used obstruction outlined in Mueller report.
the Mueller obstruction is based on Mcgahn's testimony, which I'm pretty sure is headed to the Supreme Court. If they rule he has to testify to the House, then we could have a 3rd article of impeachment. Or Cheeto gets prosecuted after he leaves office when temporary Presidential immunity from normal prosecution expires

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Besides all of that who, except a complete imbecile, comes to SurferMag to BITCH that Trump didn't give his side enough information to convict him?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Besides all of that who, except a complete imbecile, comes to SurferMag to BITCH that Trump didn't give his side enough information to convict him?
Why are you here? I have never seen a single surf related post out of your addled mind.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Why are you here? I have never seen a single surf related post out of your addled mind.

1. You haven't been here long enough.

2. SurferMag hates me because of my conservative views, and deletes my account or changes my name periodically.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
that the system is being gamed does not make your analogy any more apropos
I'm not commenting on what's right or fair or moral or just; only that the game in play has rules, and the winner is often the one who exploits those rules most effectively.

I've watched way too many guilty-guilty-guilty people walk free because we couldn't meet the burden of proof or due to one of those procedural roadblocks to get too wound up about any of the current cast of crooks getting away with their misconduct.

Meanwhile, this here is America. The burden of proof rests with the accuser, not the accused, and the standard of proof is beyond reasonable doubt. We assert the ideal of letting 9 guilty men walk free in order to avoid the wrongful conviction of the 10th. We either mean that or we don't.

There's no crying in baseball. Or politics.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The prosecution is schooling the GOP, using the president's own words against him. How long can people sit and listen to incontrovertible facts before their conscience starts getting the better of them?

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Yesterday some spectator yelled something bad about Chuck Schumer, and was removed. Now there's talk on the Senate floor. Apparently some senators are planning to do the same thing.