Mick's Tape

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
What a coincidence man. I was searching through losts website yesterday and thought about getting an assym micks tape. Never had or even rode an assym surfboard, but I bought and rode an assym snowboard, the Yes Greats Uninc, this season and loved it so much.........

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I just recently watched that EAST w/ Mick for the first time.

The board did seem to work pretty well in very fun looking surf under the feet of one of the all time greats.

I don't recall many people on here being all that excited or anyone talking about actually having ridden the board. I'm not sure why this is.

It's meant to be ridden very short so for me it was never really considered.

It appears to have a fairly standard symmetrical thruster placement (correct me if I'm wrong) on an asym outline which feels like something a designer would do if they don't completely believe in the concept of asym surfboards and wanted to make something that looks weird enough for EAST while still feeling familiar to the lifelong thruster riding test pilot.

I've seen some floating around on the used sites so they did sell some.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I didn't have any interest in trying one, though I was curious to try one of Donald Brinks' shapes, but the price of admission was too steep for me to try an asym for the first time.

Randomly, I just saw today that Lib Tech makes a symmetrical version of the Mick's Tape. Peter Saari (co-founder of Mervin/Lib Tech) was chiming in on a Stab article about PU's dominance and brought up their XPS blanks in the discussion section. I always thought Lib Tech surfboards looked kindy of kooky and didn't understand why the initially didn't offer Futures boxes as an option to their own lame boxes.

Maybe they'll expand their foam's availability to other shapers with Varial shutting down.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Looked stable and dependable, a little draggy off the bottom compared to Mick's normal burst of speed off the bottom turn.

Probs a really fun board for rec surfers.

Reactions: Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I just recently watched that EAST w/ Mick for the first time.

The board did seem to work pretty well in very fun looking surf under the feet of one of the all time greats.

I don't recall many people on here being all that excited or anyone talking about actually having ridden the board. I'm not sure why this is.

It's meant to be ridden very short so for me it was never really considered.

It appears to have a fairly standard symmetrical thruster placement (correct me if I'm wrong) on an asym outline which feels like something a designer would do if they don't completely believe in the concept of asym surfboards and wanted to make something that looks weird enough for EAST while still feeling familiar to the lifelong thruster riding test pilot.

I've seen some floating around on the used sites so they did sell some.
There’s an interview floating around with brink about it. Probs DLS.

interesting listen. Mayhem being mayhem big D energy in the room, donald did what he was allowed to.

small tweaks to a known working board as opposed to everything full weird and seeing what sticks.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Width plus rocker = reminds me of Puddle Fish, with added negative of thruster only. Puddle Fish lost the Pepsi challenge to the Baby Buggy. Alts are not allowed to lose the Pepsi challenge to bumpsquash thrusters and remain off craigslist/used rack.

• Love
Reactions: freeride76 and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I'd rather have Donald Brink make me a custom.

Purchasing a board that was developed from sacrificing your design principles just to appease the other guy in the room seems risky.
Board looks fun but I can’t get over the fact that the design elements were so artificially constrained (along with every other participant in that season of EAST), and where the tools running Stab decided for absolutely no reason that Mayhem and Brink couldn’t build a board longer than 5’4 or whatever.

Reactions: oeste858 and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Board looks fun but I can’t get over the fact that the design elements were so artificially constrained (along with every other participant in that season of EAST), and where the tools running Stab decided for absolutely no reason that Mayhem and Brink couldn’t build a board longer than 5’4 or whatever.
Yes. Exactly.

There were interesting pieces to the concept from a viewership perspective. I enjoyed watching the shapers work together to try and figure out a board, but the sizing requirements were a total miss.

However, if it came down to buying a collab board like this, I would want nothing to do with it. Mick picking it as the 'winner' doesn't mean the board is any good. It just means it was better than the rest of the silly choices.

Reactions: JDJ, sh3 and sdsrfr

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I honestly think you'd get a better board by letting Donny do his own thing to it.

You should ask Donny though......

I'd be curious to hear if he thinks the Mick's Tape is the best version of that board or if he would make some tweaks to make it better for you.

Reactions: JDJ

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Donald Brink doubled his base price from $750 in 2019 to $1500 in 2022. I'm not sure where they are now. He's pretty cool to deal with. He gets a rapport going, asks about what music you're into etc.

Right around the time I was considering the Brink, I rode an A&H Vessels' asym, that I swapped a few waves with the owner of Surf Bored and it got me a little wary of dropping $1600+ on an unfamiliar shape.

Reactions: JDJ