Mentawais weather in July

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
Hey all, has anyone been to the Mentawais in July or August? I know there will be swell, that's not the issue. I was thinking my wife and I would stay at the Kandui Villas, so nice accommodations shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is the weather for my wife. I don't want to bring her on a trip where there's torrentiial downpours everyday for hours on end. So what's the rain like there? Is it just an hour of rain everyday, like some tropical locations I've been to? Is it mostly sunny? overcast? Somewhere in between? Or is the weather kinda random, and it doesn't follow a pattern every year?

Alternatively, maybe there's another area that has more reliable beach weather for the wife? I'm thinking some time in July. I know that's the dry season in Bali. But I'd like to avoid Bali since I hear it's a bit of a tourist trap.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
was on the island from mid august to mid september a few years ago and it was stormy from time to time mostly in the evening and overnight it seemed, from what i've heard that's one of the stormier periods of the year on average. May/June are the prime months coming from the staff and return visitors. you can always head back to Bali afterwards, many things for the wife to see and enjoy non surf related. most likely you won't get poured on for hours on end that time of year but you'll probably see passing showers occasionally

Reactions: Yewstreet

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I've been early September. Pretty good weather and if there are showers they dont last all day. Just pray the ments dont have a season like 2019 - cold water (relatively), cloudy all day, and SE winds so only three waves worked lol.

Im actually going to Kandui Villas with my gf this September. Have always stayed by pitsops so it will be interesting to be staying down in playgrounds. So far we are the only people booked in for that time slot haha

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020

pretty good description of the monthly conditions that are usually on offer