Mentawaii Boats

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Double VIP cabin. Would one feasibly take a wife who can only really surf small easy waves, but would otherwise enjoy such an exotic and air conditioned and well appointed boat trip, even though it all revolves around epic waves?

A boat like that, with our own private cabin, is basically a small luxury cruise through an exotic archipelago, while most of us are surfing several hours a day, there is also the social surf cruise aspect, plenty of social and “vacation” time etc…would a wife dig that just for the adventure of it? Mine probably would, but the fellow surfers are always the X factor I presume

maybe there are Ment boats designed with that type of trip in mind? I know the land based resorts can certainly be pimped out enough to make a wife happy. But I feel like a real boat trip is the way to do the Islands if Imo going to do it.

I don’t know if I would stay at Kandui villas though they look sick

I can certainly do the trip with a few bros, but, I feel like my wife would love to just cruise around west Indonesia, even if we were surfing hours at a time and she was just lounging, or snorkeling, or just enjoying being on a boat in the Ments

anyone here done a boat trip with a barely-surfing but cool and easy going wife? She’s not high maintenance on trips generally
Boat trips aren't a couples retreat. It would be miserable for a non-surfing wife. Luxury land camp maybe.

Reactions: Subway
Apr 26, 2022
Double VIP cabin. Would one feasibly take a wife who can only really surf small easy waves, but would otherwise enjoy such an exotic and air conditioned and well appointed boat trip, even though it all revolves around epic waves?

A boat like that, with our own private cabin, is basically a small luxury cruise through an exotic archipelago, while most of us are surfing several hours a day, there is also the social surf cruise aspect, plenty of social and “vacation” time etc…would a wife dig that just for the adventure of it? Mine probably would, but the fellow surfers are always the X factor I presume

maybe there are Ment boats designed with that type of trip in mind? I know the land based resorts can certainly be pimped out enough to make a wife happy. But I feel like a real boat trip is the way to do the Islands if Imo going to do it.

I don’t know if I would stay at Kandui villas though they look sick

I can certainly do the trip with a few bros, but, I feel like my wife would love to just cruise around west Indonesia, even if we were surfing hours at a time and she was just lounging, or snorkeling, or just enjoying being on a boat in the Ments

anyone here done a boat trip with a barely-surfing but cool and easy going wife? She’s not high maintenance on trips generally
I talked to my wife about this trip. She preferred to meet me in Bali.

I'm looking at the boats (thanks everyone who replied) I saw some like Trader III and the Sibon Jaya has air conditioning and a private cabin for couples.

Apr 26, 2022
Famous for a reason I assume, I have a rough sketch of the history of the series of Indies Traders. T

will investigate further. We both want to see “off the beaten path” Indo, not just Bali, and she knows all about the Mentawai boat trip phenomena and has always thought it sounded amazing even as someone who can’t surf overhead shallow reef barrels

so basically, shell out many Ks for 2 weeks on the classiest boat of them all? That could be a peak life experience and worth the price of admission.
Some of them have support boats, to take the people on more than one wave at the same time. Look for these!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’d pay $500 a night for a private cabin for me and mrs subway on one of those pimp ass boats.

but yeah we have indeed looked hard at Kandui villas. That might be the call next year maybe

tangentially related to boats in the tropics that do not belong to subway- we had to get a boat ride around the glass bridge last week because the bridge was washing over with 20 foot swell exploding into a narrow crevice. Insane storm. Was gnarls. People die all the time trying to cross the bridge when Eleuthera is in “Rage” as the expats call it

Long story short, We jumped in a local-owned and operated CC MAKO, and the captain, a local fisherman (and seafood shack owner) asked a few of us to shift weight to improve the trim. Being a cheeky and wildly inappropriate adrenaline junkie, as I passed the wheel, naturally I sat down, grabbed the wheel, and gave the throttle a little gas. Mind you this little Mako had a dozen tourists and locals who all needed to get to the other side and even though we were on the leeward side- it was blowing 30+ and pouring. I side eyed the captain with my best “trust me” smile to make sure he wasn’t about to knock me out (well within his rights and abilities from the look of him)

After 20 seconds or so, he said ok you had your fun mon, you don’t know where all de reefs are” and I returned command to her rightful owner.

Essentially I took control of a foreign flagged vessel without the captain's permission. For about 20 seconds I was an honest to god pirate, according to generally accepted international standards and treaties governing the high seas :)

and by gawd I even have pics so it did indeed happen. The Dread Pirate Subway makes his move. This was taken by a Venezuelan dude who lives in Brooklyn. Cool guy, and may have gotten the shot of the trip just by taking this 20 second video of me commandeering a boat I had literally just boarded 3 minutes prior.
FE6E9729-4603-47E6-B09B-06DF423271F9.jpeg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
$
I’d pay $500 a night for a private cabin for me and mrs subway on one of those pimp ass boats.

but yeah we have indeed looked hard at Kandui villas. That might be the call next year maybe
Where will your attendant staff stay? Steerage?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Famous for a reason I assume, I have a rough sketch of the history of the series of Indies Traders. T

will investigate further. We both want to see “off the beaten path” Indo, not just Bali, and she knows all about the Mentawai boat trip phenomena and has always thought it sounded amazing even as someone who can’t surf overhead shallow reef barrels

so basically, shell out many Ks for 2 weeks on the classiest boat of them all? That could be a peak life experience and worth the price of admission.
No more over rated experience that sleeping at sea in any vessel less than 100m. Luxury landbased for for me all day everyday

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Another land camp for consideration. Ade and his family are amazing people.
Wife can do yoga, tons of puppies on the island and its a beautiful spot.
3 amazing lesser known waves nearby too

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
you need a crew of like minded people for great boat trip - expectations need to be the same for waves you want

i would never go on a boat trip w people my age
had a friend who charges go w co workers in 50s he said he was outvoted daily on where to surf and lost his cool one day and demand they surf a slab

he surfed alone while others watched - he no longer works there :shrug:
This x 10000000000.
The crew your with makes the trip.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Chartered the 'WIJAYA' on my first Mentawai boat trip back in 2001. Decent mid-range boat for back then which was ridiculously cheap. I rounded up 9 buddies and we exclusively booked the boat to ourselves, $1,000 each for 11 days. Best experience of our lives and a must do trip for any surfer. The one physical annoyance to prepare for is having "Sea Legs". Lots of rocking & rolling on the high seas for an extended period of time leaves one feeling unsteady, especially when back on terra-firma. If you have any issues with motion sickness this probably isn't the trip for you. We set sail at 8pm and on the overnight crossing from Padang, 8 of my jet-lagged buddies who just flew 24 hrs from JFK thought it was a good idea to stay up, rage, and pound bintangs all night long. Well half way through the crossing we hit a squall which produced storm force winds and HEAVY seas. Most all of them were puking over the railings and completely spent when we motored up to HT's at first light. This worked out great for my one buddy and I who took it easy on the crossing and then proceeded to paddled out solo to pumping 6-8ft HT's with nobody out. Without a doubt the most memorable session of our lives!
Do your research on boats and preferably one with a decent tender with solid motor. Oh and make sure you have a knowledgeable guide as this will make or break your trip.

Day 1, just my buddy and I pinching ourselves at pumping HT's
HT's.jpg

Wijaya
Wijaya.jpg

Wijaya crew w/Bintang
Wijaya Crew.jpg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Another land camp for consideration. Ade and his family are amazing people.
Wife can do yoga, tons of puppies on the island and its a beautiful spot.
3 amazing lesser known waves nearby too

What is that word “budget” mean, in the little description? Is that some local form of massage?

no but for real, private island resort, $200 a night and AC and all that surf nearby?
Looks sweet to me. Plenty luxe and you can’t beat that privacy.

Which would get me the best combo of wave count and nookie count? Kandui villas or the local owned private island resort. I feel like the Kandui Villas are panty droppers. Surf all morning…yada yada yada, surf some more, sunset, dinner, and bed

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Chartered the 'WIJAYA' on my first Mentawai boat trip back in 2001. Decent mid-range boat for back then which was ridiculously cheap. I rounded up 9 buddies and we exclusively booked the boat to ourselves, $1,000 each for 11 days. Best experience of our lives and a must do trip for any surfer. The one physical annoyance to prepare for is having "Sea Legs". Lots of rocking & rolling on the high seas for an extended period of time leaves one feeling unsteady, especially when back on terra-firma. If you have any issues with motion sickness this probably isn't the trip for you. We set sail at 8pm and on the overnight crossing from Padang, 8 of my jet-lagged buddies who just flew 24 hrs from JFK thought it was a good idea to stay up, rage, and pound bintangs all night long. Well half way through the crossing we hit a squall which produced storm force winds and HEAVY seas. Most all of them were puking over the railings and completely spent when we motored up to HT's at first light. This worked out great for my one buddy and I who took it easy on the crossing and then proceeded to paddled out solo to pumping 6-8ft HT's with nobody out. Without a doubt the most memorable session of our lives!
Do your research on boats and preferably one with a decent tender with solid motor. Oh and make sure you have a knowledgeable guide as this will make or break your trip.

Day 1, just my buddy and I pinching ourselves at pumping HT's
View attachment 152680

Wijaya
View attachment 152681

Wijaya crew w/Bintang
View attachment 152682
ElOgro gives this post a :shaka: :shaka: :shaka::shaka: rating!

This was a couple of decades ago. Could you pull it off now?

Reactions: Geopac and keenfish

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I'd be 100% down to join an Indo boat trip with a bunch of erBB folks, but I *am* that 50+ year old guy who is NOT looking for slabs or crazy triple overhead surf. I want fun, perfect waves, 1/2 OH at the most(just being honest here). I was trying to plan a trip to the Mentawi's this year, but couldn't find availabilty during my window and/or any friends that had the time and money to join me....
(@Truth - Thanks for your help!)

And no, I would not be riding a mid-length or longboard :trout:

Last edited: