Meds Question for Surf Doc.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I take quite a few vitamin supplements (and prescribed meds). I typically down them all at the same time with water. I was wondering, is this a ‘bad’ practice, i.e., should I be taking them one at a time over a period or will my body sort out the meds once in my system? At my age, I can change but if there is no negative impact I’ll just carry on and get them out of the way with one ‘gulp!’ Thanks for any comment or suggestions. John

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I take quite a few vitamin supplements (and prescribed meds). I typically down them all at the same time with water. I was wondering, is this a ‘bad’ practice, i.e., should I be taking them one at a time over a period or will my body sort out the meds once in my system? At my age, I can change but if there is no negative impact I’ll just carry on and get them out of the way with one ‘gulp!’ Thanks for any comment or suggestions. John
Good question. Hope Doc chimes in. My only guideline is that I take them with or just before meals.

Reactions: john4surf

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I’m no doctor but it like depends on what you’re taking. Absorption can definitely be impacted by other supplement/medications.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Potassium Citrate (the kidney dr said the citrate would help dissolve the ‘crystals’ in my kidneys before they turned to stones), B-12 sublingual, D-3, Centrum multi-vitamins for men, Calcium Citrate (for crystals).

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
You can do better than centrum silver. Garden of life is a better option.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
You can do better than centrum silver. Garden of life is a better option.
I just googled to see what it’s all bout. Besides the expense, there were like 15-16 varieties of Garden of Life. Been on Centrum Silver decades and made it to 78 so far. Will cruise without change due to memory (by the time I finish reading a sentence, I’ve forgotten what I just read). Thanks for the tip any way. John

Dec 10, 2023
St. Pete’s
Generally your body will sort out each vitamin/pill. I’ve asked a doctor about this before.. good question!!
They just run through the bloodstream regardless and that’s when we find out if they work or not. I’m not always a big pill or capsule fan. I’m not confident the body always breaks them down like they should be. Ask a “portable potty” guy all undigested pills when they empty those disgusting things. I take things like that before I eat like someone else mentioned above… the more water the better

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Centrum multi-vitamins for men, what about the gender neutral multi's...??? Maybe a whole new marketing scheme coming.

I've become a bit of a supplement fool, on a search to try and resolve my tinnitus, taking taurine now with no improvement... so my two cents/research has led me to realize/focus more on empty stomach vs. full stomach for absorption.

-high level view is water soluble nutrients absorb better on an empty stomach with lots of water, dahhh, and some nutrients need fat to bind to for improved absorption.

There are tons of scholarly articles on this topic, and for B12 it apparently should be taken on an empty stomach for best absorption. Not sure I would look at it as right or wrong, just improved uptake.

-and just food for thought: water soluble nutrients are not stored in the body, hence required every day with higher chance of having a deficiency and fat soluble nutrients are stored in the body tissue: liver, fatty tissue, unlikely for the body to experience a deficiency.

And as Stu points out there may be nutrient interactions that interfere with one another, but I've found that matrix is too overwhelming to put together as I'm no PhD candidate... :LOL:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
With most vitamins, you are only absorbing 30% of the benefit. Just what I have read. I have moved away from a mens multivitamin and am taking a grass fed organ complex. I am on a nutrient dense eating plan and eat 2 servings of grass fed beef 5 days a week, so just don't need a multivitamin with the other supplements I am also taking. I take magnesium, vitamin D, K2, biotin, L- glutamine, Iodine, B3. I also take a nitric oxide booster. My energy level is way up from years past. I see a noticable difference all aspects of my health.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm pretty skeptical of most supplements. I take fish oil and flaxseed oil for the heart. Baby aspirin. And a multi. I took creatine for a while but seemed costly. As the the Italians say "I prefer to get my vitamins from food."

I always refer to this, skeptical look at supplements (footnotes refer to scientific studies)-