Meditation - why? how?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think I kind of meditated one time in Scotts Valley. There's a place up there called 1440 Multiversity. I used to sell them vermouth and sake (no liquor license). They invited me up for dinner and a session in their room with sound bowls. It was pretty incredible, actually. Some of those frequencies really, literally, resonated with my body. It was cool.
http://instagr.am/p/CREkvzEhQKK/

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What part? Please don't say anus.
Good singing involves placement of the vibration.

You can put it anywhere.

You want to place it above the roof of you mouth.

I never thought of sticking it in my anus.

I will try.

*Not a good singer but I have studied good singing.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Story time-

A few decades ago I did one of those long meditation retreats similar to what Casa said can induce psychosis.:drowning:

I had just finished college and had gotten interested in Zen. It was frequently mentioned in regards to art I liked (Los Angeles Light and Space art). The visual aesthetic, the simplicity, I liked. I am also of Japanese ancestry, so I went to visit for the first time Japan o discover my roots (technically the second time, but the first time I was one year old).

I wanted to visit a Zen monastery and made arrangements. The week I wanted to visit was during a "sesshin", a special meditation retreat and they discouraged it. Meditation retreat? Cool! I insisted. :foreheadslap:

Well the meditation consisted of eleven 45 minute long "sits" spaced through out the day. They gave absolutely no instruction about the meditation. I asked about it, what was I supposed to do with my mind? And a monk just shrugged and smiled. Kind of like, "whatever happens, happens." Very zen. In between sits was a 5 minute walking meditation (one small step per breath) followed by a 5 minute bathroom/stretch break, then back to sitting. Meals were taken seated. The meal ritual was very cool- kind of like a tea ceremony with absolutely no extraneous movements. TO this day I leave a little food for the hungry ghosts.

At the end of my first day I lay down and thought, "That was the longest f----n day of my life!" By the second day I could no longer maintain the (for me half) lotus position. My legs were in pain (probably good prep for my marathons). There was also a monk walking around with a stick and if you started to slouch or doze, he would tap you very lightly to warn you and then give you a sharp whack on your trapezius. Or you could request it.

Each participant had one interview with the "master." During mine I asked him if the silent mind I experienced when surfing was enlightenment. He didn't quite understand so I explained to him what surfing was and what a tube ride was. His answer was, "No."

I left the next day, a few days before the end of the retreat.

To this day I disagree with the "master." See my signature.

Last edited:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Story time-

A few decades ago I did one of those long meditation retreats similar to what Casa said can induce psychosis.:drowning:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. My experience with Ananda Marga was they had group meditations on Saturday, after a vegetarian pot luck. They played a guitar and sang spiritual songs for a while then did group meditation. All you could hear was the sound of breathing for 15 minutes. After that the resident yogi would talk.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Real meditation is the highest form of intelligence. It is not a matter of sitting cross-legged in a corner with your eyes shut or standing on your head or whatever it is you do. To meditate is to be completely aware as you are walking, as you are riding in the bus, as you are working in your office or in your kitchen; completely aware of the words you use, the gestures you make, the manner of your talk, the way you eat, and how you push people around. To be choicelessly aware of everything about you and within yourself, is meditation. If you are thus aware of the political and religious propaganda that goes on ceaselessly, aware of the many influences about you, you will see how quickly you understand and are free of every influence as you come into contact with it.
Collected Works, Vol. XIII",323,Individual and Society
~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Reactions: Boneroni

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Story time-

I had just finished college and had gotten interested in Zen. It was frequently mentioned in regards to art I liked (Los Angeles Light and Space art). The visual aesthetic, the simplicity, I liked. I am also of Japanese ancestry, so I went to visit for the first time Japan o discover my roots (technically the second time, but the first time I was one year old).

I wanted to visit a Zen monastery and made arrangements. The week I wanted to visit was during a "sesshin", a special meditation retreat and they discouraged it. Meditation retreat? Cool! I insisted. :foreheadslap:

Well the meditation consisted of eleven 45 minute long "sits" spaced through out the day. They gave absolutely no instruction about the meditation. I asked about it, what was I supposed to do with my mind? And a monk just shrugged and smiled. Kind of like, "whatever happens, happens." Very zen. In between sits was a 5 minute walking meditation (one small step per breath) followed by a 5 minute bathroom/stretch break, then back to sitting. Meals were taken seated. The meal ritual was very cool- kind of like a tea ceremony with absolutely no extraneous movements. TO this day I leave a little food for the hungry ghosts.

At the end of my first day I lay down and thought, "That was the longest f----n day of my life!" By the second day I could no longer maintain the (for me half) lotus position. My legs were in pain (probably good prep for my marathons). There was also a monk walking around with a stick and if you started to slouch or doze, he would tap you very lightly to warn you and then give you a sharp whack on your trapezius. Or you could request it.

Each participant had one interview with the "master." During mine I asked him if the silent mind I experienced when surfing was enlightenment. He didn't quite understand so I explained to him what surfing was and what a tube ride was. His answer was, "No."

I did the Zen thing in Santa Monica for a short time. Not quite as intense. :D The Roshi, I forget his name, was in the Maezumi line, and was a surfer. The interviews in a predawn alleyway in Santa Monica were kinda weird. Not sure what he would have said about tubular awakening.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One size don't fit all.

Meditation is just a self regulation strategy.

If you know how to self regulate effectively, then why not learn guitar or chase girls with that extra time?

I think one expression of enlightenment is when the seeker stops seeking.

And it's kind of like, Is that it?

I was practicing non attachment hard and just ended up disassociating, which is not what you are supposed to do.

Duh!

Reactions: Aquaman2