Love Machine Surfboards

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
He's been surfing for 10 years??!?!??!?
LOL my thoughts exactly. I thought maybe 10 months at most.

90's prescription created many a ripper: ride a thinner longer railed board that's more about challenging than wave catching with a good dose of Hatebreed, Bad Brains, Black Flag, 7Seconds, Snapcase or similar ilk for a half hour to hour just prior to surfing
This. Learned how to generate speed on the 90s potato chips in knee high FL mush. Not that I would go back to those types of boards, but it definitely had some benefit, for me at least.

Reactions: surfwhere and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
LOL my thoughts exactly. I thought maybe 10 months at most.

This. Learned how to generate speed on the 90s potato chips in knee high FL mush. Not that I would go back to those types of boards, but it definitely had some benefit, for me at least.
Lot's of people bitch about the glass slipper, but I've always maintained it made me a stronger paddler and taught me to use my rails. Also, at that time I only had one board that I used in everything......which taught me how to adjust my surfing to the conditions and not rely on the board itself.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Lot's of people bitch about the glass slipper, but I've always maintained it made me a stronger paddler and taught me to use my rails. Also, at that time I only had one board that I used in everything......which taught me how to adjust my surfing to the conditions and not rely on the board itself.
Totally agree :cheers:

Reactions: jkb

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
x 1,000,000

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have mixed feelings on this.

Like, I guess part of me is glad that I learned how to ride a glass slipper when I was young. I know I've said as much on here before. But also I'm glad that I never have to ride one again.

I was thinking, if I could travel back to 1998 and re-learn the basics of shortboarding at age 15 would I choose to learn on an extremely thin and rockered JS of the era, as I did, or a HP thruster from 2023?

Without a doubt I would choose the modern board. They are just a much better and more versatile tool and I think I would have progressed faster and had a lot more fun. The glass slipper taught me how to surf in the pocket (because you basically had no choice) but a modern board can also surf the pocket while also paddling and catching waves and making speed much better.

Last edited:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
90's prescription created many a ripper: ride a thinner longer railed board that's more about challenging than wave catching with a good dose of Hatebreed, Bad Brains, Black Flag, 7Seconds, Snapcase or similar ilk for a half hour to hour just prior to surfing
Been thinking about this lately and funny enough the mind reading AI algos presented me with AI ripping shitty oceanside:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I haven''t watched this yet, but plan to over the next couple nights. Seems relevant to the 90s boar discussion we're having:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Been thinking about this lately and funny enough the mind reading AI algos presented me with AI ripping shitty oceanside:

One of the greatest surfers of all time, still the take-off isn't smooth and the board goes to a dead halt at any resistance. Any other surfer wouldn't even get to their feet.

1687096653681.png

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Not sure if you were even surfing in the late 80s to 90s but every shortboarder that could do a turn would ride those waves on those boards. That would have been a fun day in the summer where I live, still is.
Because surfboard diversity did not exist. Even owning a long board would get you mocked and shunned. There must have been eggs around, but I don't remember anyone having one. If you were young, you were a shortboarder or god forbid mocked longboarder. The occasional kneeboarder but they were just aliens.