Lost ss2 order and change over the years

Jun 26, 2012
Thinking about going back to a ss2 as it was such a good board. Not sure if I’m just wishing it was a great board or I’ve just been on some boards that have my surfing going backwards. The dims on it has changed my original was 5’9, 19 3/8, 2.32. The dims then went a little slimmer and then finally went to the sws. Can anyone compare at least the original to the slimmer or the sws?

Thanks

Reactions: fargy483
Jun 26, 2012
I remember when that one came out. Looked cool but Nah I’m set on the ss2. So hard as no one in Sydney will have anything in stock. If u get the stamps. Let me knownofnu get on the stamps havoc? Be interested to see your thoughts.

Reactions: fargy483 and Havoc

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
they messed that scorch - it up twice lol same board w a light gray spray??
Someone offer to buy the 2 pack of blems for a steal? ha

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc
Jul 21, 2015
long time lurker. no very frequent poster. take my input with grain of salt as im still figuring out surfboard fundamentals. =)

i have an ss2 sws and dws. had the hip squash version too but got rid of it since the sws does very well (and easily). 5.8 x 19 x 2.25 am2 FCS2 (or it is the medium) is my default.

for me the SS2 sws just works. took it with me to ments last month. big small it did em all. there were a couple days at telescopes when i should have ridden a different board but whatever. other SWS Fins: i tried stretch thruster (SF4 fronts and his thruster fin rear) it went so good at oside on the last run of swell. smaller waves i put large mayhems in. Curious to try an MR plus trailer... could be fun at softer points with size.

with my DWS i run mayhem (L) or MR twin with trailer or stretch sf4. it did not go well for me with am2; with bigger fins it did much better. I would have been better server by some more foam... mine is 5.6 x 19 x 2.25 but 2.32 would be better. I may get rid of it or put it in the rafters for a bit.

Jun 26, 2012
Nice input Fargy. It’s more for small waves to medium waves like waist to shoulder height if that’s any good?

Jul 21, 2015
Of course... happy to share my experiences. I think for walled up points this board works really well. And it paddles easy. I've been able to get 'vertical' by my standard as well as under the lip a few times and the SWS is like I was on a track! just perfect.

however, i think the more curve in the wave i start surfing more side to side versus pocket top to bottom. At least that is what I relate to. perhaps it is a number of factors including my lack of skill (lol and fear) and the board being fast (flat/wide).

i like this board for waist to shoulder. it certainly works well for me in that zone. it is a keeper for me bc of its range (it will work in waist high to OH) and ease of use --- paddling, carves, creating speed, etc. for example, if i am only bringing one board with me but dont know where I am surfing (beach, point, etc) are like i usually reach for the SWS. it hasnt disappointed. unless its small but its typically an good day to do other things if it is that small!!!

If i went custom, i would maybe do 5.7 x 19 x 2.32 to fit the waist high waves a bit better while giving just a bit more of foam in it too. prolly would lose some of the upper end range but if there are waves, i'll know to bring a hpsb. =)

Reactions: sd_101
Jun 26, 2012
I think I ran the hs large in mine. Still not convinced to go the sws over the dws. I work about the lack of width and not floating well in smaller waves.

May 31, 2011
I've had two SWSs both in the same dimensions. They were pretty custom so I can't speak to the changes in stock dims, but the newer file came out with a little less in volume and feels a bit more foiled/high performance in my opinion. I'm running True Ames KCs in my current board, but I have also run the Roberts thruster set.

I ride mine in waist to head highish (maybe a touch bigger if the waves are slopey) surf around NC San Diego. It's really versatile and forgiving, but it is not a true groveler in my opinion.

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks else
I've had two SWSs both in the same dimensions. They were pretty custom so I can't speak to the changes in stock dims, but the newer file came out with a little less in volume and feels a bit more foiled/high performance in my opinion. I'm running True Ames KCs in my current board, but I have also run the Roberts thruster set.

I ride mine in waist to head highish (maybe a touch bigger if the waves are slopey) surf around NC San Diego. It's really versatile and forgiving, but it is not a true groveler in my opinion.
Thanks mate.

Yep the width is what bothers me. On the original one it had more width than the updated ss2 dws and the ln the sws. It won’t be a groveler as I’ve got a puddle jumper to work with.

Aug 21, 2013
Australia NSW
thinking bout ordering dws 1” shorter and 1/4” wider for graveling. i think dws was more for gravel. my sws is pretty foiled n refined
Thanks else

Thanks mate.

Yep the width is what bothers me. On the original one it had more width than the updated ss2 dws and the ln the sws. It won’t be a groveler as I’ve got a puddle jumper to work with.
Hi BennyC, iv still got a stock 5.10 pu sws, and a stock 5.10 dws carbon wrap, u welcome to take em for a spin if ur ever down this way..

Jul 21, 2015
so i gave my SS2 dws a fresh coat of wax and surfed in Saturday and this morning... board works so well. Big fins are essential. The super swallow holds and just a hoot to surf even in marginal fast, dumpy condition. I run large GMB tri finstypicaly but gonna try GMB fronts with sf4 rears. see how it goes. ill let you know.

SS2 dws with MR twins, MB thruster and SF4 quad cover a wide range!