...Lost Puddle Jumper PRO

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Salsa loving the HP, now trying the pro.

I am contemplating buying the Lib Tech Puddle Jumper 5'11" 41,75 liters. Hopefully it will float me.

Reactions: JDJ

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
any bro'z ridin' 1?
Been on the fence about ordering for months. I blabbed non-stop on last July's El Salvador trip about how much I loved my PJHP and how blood-engorged my phallus is by the PJ Pro, while two Bros had to listen. Bro #1 got an HP, loves it. Bro #2 got a Pro, loves it.

Bro #2 with the Pro, tail flippy boards don't keep up with head-under racy South Brevard all that well for him. Flat tail-rockered boards are very sticky/tracky/stiff for him much over grovel. Just surfing with him, it's obvious that this suits the gap between his normal PJ roundtail and Pocket Rocket, this both gets him down the line, and into/out of the lip. Bro #2 surfs with him more and commented on the Pro obviously suiting him well.

There was a poly 6'3" at Surf Station and one at Catalyst Mel Beach, both were gone in like a week. I think I'd want a C4.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It seems like the PJ Pro got buried under the RNF96 hype.

I'd like to try one. Love the OG puddle humper.

The real watersports "review" with corey lopez didn't really sell me for whatever reason.

Reactions: JDJ

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
I bought one when it first came out. It’s a good daily driver. The quad feels real good and fast when it’s weak and when I surfed it head high at Newport it was real fast and predictable and that session I used it as a thruster. Paddles real well too. Definitely recommend it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you say so.

I thought it probably because the waves were mostly legit small and bad.
100%

Speeding up the surfing makes small waves look better.

Speeding up the surfing in all waves enhances the surfing and sells boards and surf products.

That's why they've been doing it in pretty much all surfing videos and clips since forever.

The clips filmed at Lowers are always particularly funny because so many guys look better on video than in person. Reason being the clips are sped up.

Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Can't comment on the pro but my buddy has done his best surfing (IMO) on his PJ HP. He had a pu and after a break on a coupld of different boards he just took delivery of another one but this time in lightspeed.

Everyone's different though. I didn't really care for his old one when I tried it (thought it was the fins), and my oversized custom normal PJ was very underwhelming.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Have owned a 5'5 og pj, 5'6 puddle fish, 5'7 pj hp and a 5'10 pj pro. The puddle fish was a dog, the rest of the bunch went great. For me, the pjhp was the best one though, felt like the best compromise between width and railline if that makes sense. For tiny waves, the pj pro was a little bit long, and in slightly better waves I'm rather riding a board that's not quite as wide in the tail. Got it at the same time as the rnf96 and ended up riding the latter much more. Possibly due to twin fin bias, the rnf96 was my first one. Sold the pj pro one of my best mates, who's sometimes struggling on a shortboard even in better waves. The pj pro looks really good under his feet and his helping him progress a lot. That being said it's definitely not a crutch for incompetent surfers but a really fun board. On a side note: for whatever reason I liked carbon wrap better than lightspeed.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
What board to get between Lib-Tech Puddel Jumper 5'11" 41,75l or Lib Tech Puddel Jumper Pro 6'0" 39l? I need it to go well backside. My next board down is small wave shortboard 33l. So the new board is to fit between the pink 33l and the 85l golden door.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Name drop alert...

Last October Strider was using one at Tavarua and said it was his favorite board ever from Matt.

He lent it to Rizal, who promptly got a couple of HUGE barrels on it and proclaimed it would now be his board. He said it was the best board he'd used in a long time.

Apparently if you're a good frontside surfer, it's a great board.

EDIT: PS, it was a black sheep build.

Reactions: Ttboi

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What board to get between Lib-Tech Puddel Jumper 5'11" 41,75l or Lib Tech Puddel Jumper Pro 6'0" 39l? I need it to go well backside. My next board down is small wave shortboard 33l. So the new board is to fit between the pink 33l and the 85l golden door.
Lib Tech doesn't have a PJ Pro yet. That's the PJHP you're talking about.

I'd suggest the narrower board for backside.

What is your 33 KYOOBIK liter³ board? I'm not sure just bloating a PJ-style board is a good idea. My Lib Tech PJ is a very old construction and it feels lighter and livelier than the newer ones with the black strip nose to tail. Haven't surfed a Techno Pop build.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Lib Tech doesn't have a PJ Pro yet. That's the PJHP you're talking about.

I'd suggest the narrower board for backside.

What is your 33 KYOOBIK liter³ board? I'm not sure just bloating a PJ-style board is a good idea. My Lib Tech PJ is a very old construction and it feels lighter and livelier than the newer ones with the black strip nose to tail. Haven't surfed a Techno Pop build.
I got this for my small waves now. 6'0" x 20" x 2 5/8" - 33,42l Luke Studer. The website says its 29l and narrow, but my board is 33l and wide. Maybe he changed it since then. It doesnt have the black rails either. Got it used for cheap. For my weight and the shitous waves I use it for it's not a boat. Maybe 42l will be too much.

1682350823314.png

Reactions: JDJ and 000