Lost Mini Driver replacement?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
As our season is starting to wind down .... was thinking of clearing out some of my boards that i hadn't ridden in a long time. As i was going through em .... came across my Lost Mini Driver .... it's been at least 4 years since i've ridden it. i cleaned it up it has had some serious ding repairs and looks rather battle weary but still felt pretty good. I've been riding mostly twin fins the last couple of years and quite frankly I didn't remember what it felt like riding it. The Surfline forecast for today was easing swell in the waist to chest range ... so decided to give it a go for old time's sake. Turns out the forecast was a bit off .... paddled out into pumping surf with occasional 6'+ sets. I was riding it as a thruster with the AM2's, Started out catching a left going backside to break the ice .... and it went pretty well ... felt fast and stable. The next wave was an overhead right and i couldn't believe how good it felt ...easy drop ... big roundhouse carve .... lots of drive and speed ... i was laughing thinking i don't remember it being this good. I think maybe i've become more of a back footed surfer is the only thing i can think of. Anyways ... thinking about getting a replacement for next season .... looks like there only available via custom order these days. Is there a current Lost Model that the Mini Driver has evolved into? Or a recommendation on something with a similar rocker etc? Gracias Amigos!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I got rid of mine awhile back but found that the Pyzel Ghost shares some of the same characteristics- wide point forward, round tail, refined but not too pro. The Ghost is probably a little flatter in the nose and a little more kicked in tail but they both have more of a low progressive rocker as opposed to staged rockers of many Losts.

Always liked the Mini Driver more as a step up than an everyday board so the Ghost kinda fit right in. But truth be told I hardly ever ride the Ghost anymore since switching to twins. It's sat as the second board in my double boardbag on so many trips that I ended up not bringing it anymore.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I had a buddy who owned a mini driver.

He only liked it when there was a good amount of push.

If there were any flat spots where you had to generate your own speed, the thing bogged.
Definitely, had a lot of push today. Rumor has it November is gonna be epic here ... so planning on a few more sessions on it ... probably experiment with fins ... try it as a quad etc. Will have to check out the Sabo Taj.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I'd classify Sabotaj as a slightly more user friendly Ghost.

Less top end, more middle range.
I'd classify Sabotaj as a slightly more user friendly Ghost.

Less top end, more middle range.
Both look interesting! The Ghost seems to be more readily available online. I have some time but would prefer to avoid going down the custom order rabbit hole with Lost. My other option would be .... have a replica made .... I only know of one shaper in Nica .... have a channeled pin twin from him that he shaped from a photo i sent him .... it's been a great board. He also does a pretty good job with replicating boards from what i've seen.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Mine went well as a quad with the Mayhem quad set, I think. As a tri I think I ended up with the same Mayhem fronts and smaller rear fin.

I definitely would not order a custom Lost based on experience. If you were going custom with Pyzel I'd get a Shortcut instead of a Ghost. A little fuller in nose and tail. I've always kinda wanted one:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ghost is great and I would say definitely suited to nica tubes but pretty different from the mini driver if my memory serves. Mini driver rocker is more staged and low rocker through the tail. Wider tail too. More backfooted and skatey.

Never tried a Sabotaj. Maybe hard to find one OTR.

Its such a shame lost sucks for customs because i quite like their boards.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah - the Pyzel Shortcut looks pretty interesting .... the outline looks similar to the Mini Driver - especially with the wider tail. The description on the website .... sounds like the Mini Driver as well. I just noticed something re-reading the description of the Pyzel Ghost .... the websites states it is based off the ShortCut. Both sound like good all-around board to handle different Nica conditions. Overall - it was a pretty lack luster season for Nica but in the last 3 weeks or so ... we've had a series of punchy swells with a lot of current (unusual for this time of year). One thing i noticed yesterday on the Mini Driver .... was I able to deal with the current, chase down peaks and get into some fast moving waves relatively well without being on a much longer board. My Mini Driver is 6'5" x 20.25" x 2.81 41L Comparing similar sizes ... Ghost is 6'6" x 20.5" x 3" 40.1L ... Shortcut 6'6" x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4 39.1L. Some differences but kinda in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
this looks similar as well. more width than a Ghost. pretty sure they would ship to Nicaragua

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have ridden one of these as well and it's not like a Ghost or a Mini Driver. It's basically just made to go straight in the tube. Super stiff. I would avoid unless that's what you are looking for.

Had a period where I was really into these sort of boards and tried a bunch. I might have even owned a Potato Launcher briefly. The Ghost and Mini Driver are way more versatile. I guess you could put a Rusty Slayer on the list (didn't get a chance to ride one of these) or a Rusty Smoothie. The Slayer for the bigger end and the Smoothie for the smaller end.

Off the rack I'd get a Ghost, custom I'd order a Shortcut. My understanding is Pyzel's are much easier to custom order than Lost, though the bar is quite low.

this looks similar as well. more width than a Ghost. pretty sure they would ship to Nicaragua

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Have ridden one of these as well and it's not like a Ghost or a Mini Driver. It's basically just made to go straight in the tube. Super stiff. I would avoid unless that's what you are looking for.
good to know...I was considering a PL2 for wintertime and was under the impression that the 2nd version was more versatile than a straight tube shooter, as opposed to the OG PL.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
You could always order another Mini Driver.

I always felt the low tail rocker paired with AM2's turned it into a runaway train - I really like mine with more of an upright fin. Great board.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Didn't like the AM2's in mine either.

Seemed like the it needed some big Mayhem side fins to tame it. I would just throw the center fin from K2.1s in there to loosen it up a bit. That seemed to work best for me.

You could always order another Mini Driver.

I always felt the low tail rocker paired with AM2's turned it into a runaway train - I really like mine with more of an upright fin. Great board.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Ghost is great and I would say definitely suited to nica tubes but pretty different from the mini driver if my memory serves. Mini driver rocker is more staged and low rocker through the tail. Wider tail too. More backfooted and skatey.
Have you (or anyone) tried a ghost in a non-PU construction? I see there's one on the varial site that I might get before winter really kicks in.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

ship? those guys travel so much they would probably bring it with them

• Haha
Reactions: MrCrash

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah - definitely want some versatility vs a one trick pony. Interestingly - i noticed that the AJW Potato Launcher II has a 5 fin box option .... i was watching a video on their site with Brett Barley and a review of the OG Potato Launcher and in that they state that the 5 fin option wasn't available because it was specifically designed as a quad with the fin box placement and it wouldn't work right as a thruster. Might be why the Launcher II is more versatile.

I've never had any issues with the AM2 set - although i have an old version from True Ames ... maybe their different. I even ran them a couple of times in my Lost/MR Cali Twin this season .... and they went pretty well. I have some other sets on hand - Machado, Roberts, KS 2.1's .... think i'm gonna try the Roberts set next season and then give it a go as a quad. I can't remember the last time i rode a quad LOL!

If i could get a Mini Driver OTR - i would be tempted to go for it ..... so far the only option i've seen readily available is the Ghost ... the more i look at them ... the more i like the look of it.

I don't usually order and ship anything directly to Nica .... dealing with customs etc is a hassle .... i use a shipping service Bahia Nica .... when i order something i ship it to their Miami location and then they deal with shipping to Nica and customs. It can either go by air or by sea .... always cheaper by sea but takes a bit longer usually 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

Reactions: Aruka