Loose Screws

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
I got a board with FCS fin boxes. The fin boxes are in good shape. There's no sign that the screws holes are shredded. But after a session I realize that some of the screws loosen, causing the fin to loosen. Luckily I haven't lost a fin, yet.

What's the best way to assure that the grub screws stay in place?

[ A ] Re-tap the screw holes
[ B ] Locktite
[ C ] Longer grub screw
[ D ] Wider grub screw
[ E ] Other

I want to make sure (1) the fin is secure, but also (2) be able to remove the fine.

The loose screws in the head can't be helped.

Your feedback is always appreciated. Mahaloz.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Probably a combo of A and C.

Re-tap the screw holes to the next size up and get some grub screws that fit that new size.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Futures grub screws are longer and should fix the problem.

If you are using a large fin or twin fin this won't work .

You reminded me of one of the things I did not like about fcs and 2 . Sometimes the inside of the fin cavity is warped and the fin is actually wiggling .

Get some old glassfkex fins and hope for the best

Nov 14, 2006
Tropical Reef Pass
I Second the suggestion of trying a longer screw first. Loctite also sounds like something to try, not sure it’ll bond to the plastic though?

BUT if you ever have a truly messed up hole I found a new way to remedy it without having to resort to re-tapping and using bigger screw.

A couple other times I did the size up tapping and using a bigger grub screw but that just makes the remaining plastic “bridge“ smaller and more likely to crack. Never enjoyed a satisfying result.

This time I used a simpler less costly method that worked WAY better and I suggest trying first :

- buy the longest 10/24 screw you can ( best 1” or longer) and dip it in olive oil.
- put small piece of tape inside of box then use JP weld (not cheap epoxy) and fill the hole
- let it start to thicken a bit and remove tape and screw in screw all the way but still leaving it proud enough to grab with vice grip in case hex head strips when trying to remove it next day ( that’s why a long screw is wise)
- next day SLOWLY unscrew with fin key : it should “give“ after a few seconds and come out, leaving nice hard threads. If hex or fin key strips then use vice grip to remove
- finally cut out any JP Weld that remains in box with knife

Perfect.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023
Hey there, sorry for jumping into the conversation late. I have experienced the same issue with my board before, and I understand how frustrating it can be. As for your question, I think using Locktite might be the best solution as it creates a strong bond between the screw and the thread, preventing it from loosening up. Just make sure you get the removable kind so that you can still remove the fins when needed. Also, longer or wider grub screws might work but might also cause damage to the fin boxes or the fins themselves. I also found some screws online that are specifically designed for surfboards, so that might be worth checking out too.

Last edited: