Looking for a camera-surfing injury downtime

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
OMG I just got boaner from the dials
:eggplant:

what's the word on the T3 and T4?

All Fuji cameras have the same X-Trans sensor, so you will get comparable results, it's just a question of what you want to do with it.

Since you mentioned backpacking, I think Fuji rangefinders would be amazing, especially the X100V or X100F
If you really need interchangeable lenses, X-Pro 3 (or 2 if you want to spend less and buy used).

The other thing to consider is that X-Pro 3 & 2 are fully weather proof, X100V also (if you put a filter on it). X100F is not. So you can shoot those moody rain photos you always wanted.

For bike riding, X100 series is amazeballs because it will fit neatly in your jersey pocket and not be all bulky.
It fits great in most pockets, unless you wear skinny jeans. :dancing:

Also for travel street stuff, nobody pays attention to you with those cameras and you're not encumbered with weight and carrying all the gear and lenses if you're out just having other fun.

Personally, I don't need anything other than 35mm (23mm) and 50mm (35mm) primes. Once in a blue moon I wish I've had an 85mm equivalent. Never needed anything wider than 35mm.

You know you want it.
1602624448797.png

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
B&H has the T3 body is under a g....T4 seems mostly video focused

the 16-80mm lens looks like a good daily driver

I run the canon 15-85 on my 7D for 80% of what I do
Get couple of primes, ditch the zooms. You will love the discipline.

They're faster and crispier and smaller. :boaner:

Reactions: billypilgrim

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
T3 is weather sealed and seems comparable to the X-Pro3

I'm not sure the pro 3 is worth the nearly 2x price tag

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
T3 is weather sealed and seems comparable to the X-Pro3

I'm not sure the pro 3 is worth the nearly 2x price tag
True. It's about the smaller size I guess, if you don't care about the OVF/EVF or street stuff.

Maybe worth looking at used X-Pro 2 also.

I hate FB but this group is legit.

There's a X-pro 2 with a 23mm for $1k.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.57.33 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
The Canon EF/RF adapters are completely hiccupless. The old EF lenses work flawlessly on the new R5.

Belchfire, I have a used Canon 6D for sale if you want. Worth around $500. It's a good but inexpensive full-frame body. I am the original owner. Downside for surf is that the motor drive is only 4.5 fps.

Sony cameras are great too - what you really want to do is build a system based on your lens choice. Canon is generally considered the leader in glass. Sony has great sensors and is catching up in the lens sphere as well.

Reactions: Belchfire1

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
HAHAHAHA, I was thinking the same thing. I'm too lazy for that, but it would be an easy way to justify the purchase. The hamster in my head is running on the wheel as I type this. haha
go for it:shaka:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I appreciate the photo-geek banter as much as anyone else, but the original question was pretty narrow in scope:
--Camera to take pics primarily of friends/family surfing
--Auto focus, ease of uploading pics, wifi capable
--Budget $600

My assumptions:
--Injured so not intended for water photography
--Need a lens; probably a zoom with lots of reach
--Video not necessary
--Don't forget memory card and maybe flash
--Budget $600

The above throws out many interchangeable lens systems. That's why I was thinking about a point-and-shoot zoom all-in-one.
Wasn't thinking about used which is a great idea. I think the Fujifilm rangefinder fixed lenses aren't going to work for what he wants (both price and performance). Am I missing something?

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I appreciate the photo-geek banter as much as anyone else, but the original question was pretty narrow in scope:
--Budget $600

My assumptions:
--Video not necessary
--Budget $600

The above throws out many interchangeable lens systems. That's why I was thinking about a point-and-shoot zoom all-in-one.
Wasn't thinking about used which is a great idea. I think the Fujifilm rangefinder fixed lenses aren't going to work for what he wants (both price and performance). Am I missing something?
Panasonic Lumix FZ80 4K Digital Camera, 18.1 Megapixel Video Camera, 60X Zoom DC VARIO 20-1200mm Lens, F2.8-5.9 Aperture, Power O.I.S. Stabilization, Touch Enabled 3-Inch LCD, Wi-Fi, DC-FZ80K (Black)

$299.99 Free delivery by Monday 10/19

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I think the Fujifilm rangefinder fixed lenses aren't going to work for what he wants (both price and performance). Am I missing something?
You know how in real life the conversation flows from one topic to another without anybody getting uptight?

Well, this is real life.

It all started with somebody suggesting a Sony A6xxx...

Reactions: sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
You know how in real life the conversation flows from one topic to another without anybody getting uptight?

Well, this is real life.

It all started with somebody suggesting a Sony A6xxx...
Lol! I hear you. I call it thread tangentiation.

However, I must respectfully disagree with you. Getting uptight is more the norm on the erBB and this place definitely isn't real life.

And Belchfire1, when you get all healed up, try a Sony A7-series in a housing in the water. It's fun.

190407_01.jpg

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Last winter in Puerto Rico a photographer got some shots of my son with a Sony A9 with the Sony 100-400 G lens. I'm a Canon guy but I've got to say that Sony yielded the best picture quality I've ever seen. My shots of the same wave standing right beside him looked like poo in comparison.

Reactions: sponge

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
--Budget $600

My assumptions:
--Video not necessary
--Budget $600

Thanks man, I love lobbing out questions and seeing where the thread goes. Sometimes it yields good results, others not so much. This has been great and a good learning experience. I was really leaning towards the Sony A6000 but that point and shoot Panasonic seems like a no brainer.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the Lumix cameras are nice

I had a fully waterproof one in a previous life for travel/water shooting

I would def look at maximizing the optical zoom in your price range

digital zoom (software) won't always yield the best results

a solid optical zoom with some additional digital reach will get you good coverage

once you find model(s) you like, check amazon and B&H to check the reviews

you're looking for high stars with A LOT of ratings

5 stars with 5 ratings is not as good as 4 stars with 500 ratings

sorry if that goes without saying, I'm not trying to be a dick

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I would def look at maximizing the optical zoom in your price range
What does this mean? I don't speak camera too well. I was hoping for a camera with removable lenses. Not sure why, but it seemed like it would take better pics? But, if that Lumix is good enough, I'm down.
Would wanting to print and enlarge the photos be a limiting factor with the Lumix?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
there are two types of zooms....digital and optical

optical zoom yields better results

unless you buy used, you probably won't find a full body camera
that supports removable lenses

if you want to print, you need to look at the megapixel rating

you can find details online about megapixel => photo printing

as in...if you want to print an 8x10, you need X number of megapixels

it's just a matter of resolution and image size translating to desired print sizes.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What does this mean? I don't speak camera too well. I was hoping for a camera with removable lenses. Not sure why, but it seemed like it would take better pics? But, if that Lumix is good enough, I'm down.

Optical zoom is acheived mechanically with moving glass elements inside of the lens.

Software zoom is done by algorithm and it's a poor substitute for the optical one. It's basically masking the lens and sensor deficiencies digitally and the results are normally not good, because pixels are just not there.

I looked at that Lumix camera because the 20-1200mm optical zoom claim seems dubious and I couldn't figure out what it is.

Because a 1200mm lens normally looks like this:

1602700266971.jpeg

Like afoaf said, Lumix / Panasonic cameras are great but this particular one I think you'll get what you pay for.

I'd rather go for the GH series if you decide to go the Lumix route. Again, buying a good used camera that may not be the latest model, is a way better deal than buying a new subpar camera, on your budget, IMO.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
@Belchfire1 - see if there is a camera shop near you, call in and see if they sell used bodies/lenses

if you want to shoot surf, you're looking at very specific types of lenses.

you may find good deal on secondhand gear that will get you A LOT farther than a point and shoot

apologies in advance for your new addiction...