Longest you have waited for a custom order?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I probably have the ultimate "how long" story. I was a kid, riding for a shaper that had me buying my own blanks and giving him trade ins when I was done. Needed a fresh one, so I went and bought a blank and dropped it off. Sometime after I dropped off the blank there was a drug raid. Shaper went to jail and then prison. My name/number was written on the wall by the phone, so I got my phone tapped and guys with crewcuts and driving Dodge sedans were following me around at night.

Time passes.

Years later, my shaper gets out of prison. I thought about asking where my blank went, but he was fully yoked, covered in bad prison tats, right back into the party favor business and reading the room, it just didn't seem like a good time.

At this point I decided I was much too pretty to go to prison and started applying to colleges.

Never got the board. But on the upside, I stayed out of prison.

And that's the story I'm sticking with...:devilish:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I probably have the ultimate "how long" story. I was a kid, riding for a shaper that had me buying my own blanks and giving him trade ins when I was done. Needed a fresh one, so I went and bought a blank and dropped it off. Sometime after I dropped off the blank there was a drug raid. Shaper went to jail and then prison. My name/number was written on the wall by the phone, so I got my phone tapped and guys with crewcuts and driving Dodge sedans were following me around at night.

Time passes.

Years later, my shaper gets out of prison. I thought about asking where my blank went, but he was fully yoked, covered in bad prison tats, right back into the party favor business and reading the room, it just didn't seem like a good time.

At this point I decided I was much too pretty to go to prison and started applying to colleges.

Never got the board. But on the upside, I stayed out of prison.

And that's the story I'm sticking with...:devilish:
who'z the shaper?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
wait, so u have to threaten to fight a shaper to get a boar now? man i’m so confused about the order fighting process
Not fight, kill.:shameonyou::roflmao:

It's called lighting a fire under someone's ass.

Never doubt the power of a surprise in-person visit and calling someone on their bullshit face to face when they're dicking you over.

Some people get away with hiding behind phonecalls, emails, and text so a lot of times just showing up out of the blue throws them off balance because most people won't do that.

Calm and contemplative with a constricted affect and awkward pauses can be extremely effective and make people feel really uncomfortable.:)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why do you hate Derrick Disney? Why, you bitter azzhole?
Not hating, just stating.

$2800 for a twin keel fish

That's around 3x what an actual guru handshaper in the genre, Bob Mitsven, will charge you, with fins made for the board.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Not hating, just stating.

$2800 for a twin keel fish

That's around 3x what an actual guru handshaper in the genre, Bob Mitsven, will charge you, with fins made for the board.
I'm not seeing $2800 anywhere on that page.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
That’s wild pricing still for a young gun shaper, 4 years ago he quoted me 850 for clear sanded finish. I was trying to talk him into making me a flex tail twin for a hot second but he said he didn’t shape them for anyone else. :(

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Sorry your email asking to spend like a thousand dollars got ignored for weeks. It’s because you know, family, surfing, making boards (not yours), more important things going on. We’re super busy over here, maybe try contacting us more. (that’ll help :rolleyes:)

“i don’t know how any of these guys stay in business”
Family is important as it should be for everyone. Surfing is important because that's why they are shapers. The board in front of them is important because it has been paid for already and has to get out the door. All customers are important but answering emails is probably not most shapers favorite thing to do. I don't know about shapers purposedly ignoring emails. I've helped sell thousands of surfboards via email. A few might fall into the shuffle from time to time just like emails I sent to other types of businesses when I was an industrial equipment buyer. Whenever that has happened to me buying machine parts or when buying surfboards, I just gave them a call. If you're dead set on email then I can understand the frustration if you don't get a reply. I try to tell all customers to talk to their shaper of choice if they can. It's a special part of surfing.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve waited a week for a shaper to call back, missed their call, I called back and left a voicemail, didn’t hear back for a few days so ordered from someone else who responded promptly.

eventually the shaper called me back nearly a week later, lol.

ill just say I understand why places exist just to hand hold orders. But, I know horror stories for those, too - something as basic as a GH with custom spray getting lost for a year

Reactions: stringcheese

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Only truly bad experience I've had with a shaper was when one told me a date that my board would be ready since I wanted it for spring break. Believing in what he said I started to drive to his city to pick it up. Before I could make it out of town I rearended a car while talking to my friend in the passenger seat. I caught him as he hit his head on the windshield. I bit through my lower lip as I hit the steering wheel. The bad part was when I called to let him know I wasn't going to be able to make it, he said 'no worries, the board isn't done anyways.'

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Reactions: menobrah