Longest you have waited for a custom order?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I knew Toby would win this thread. :roflmao: :roflmao:
I have a good Toby story. I had been cutting Pavels here and there but I never dealt with Toby. Somebody else always picked up the blanks and paid me. So I'm having a not so great day. I'm a little grumpy. This guy walks through the door and I'm going "And WTF do YOU want?" I'm figuring this is another wannabe shaper/time bandit. He introduces himself and holds up two 6 packs of my favorite beer. (Belgian triples that were probably clos to 12%) He'd asked around and found out what I was drinking at the time. Sits down and hands me a beer. We had some mutual acquaintances and the conversation flowed, as did the beers. Eventually he gets around to asking me to cut him a rush. As master of the drunken cut, I could not say no. So I cut him his board. He goes over it, measures it up and is stoked. More beer. He over pays the sh!t out of me and asks if he can leave another board in the racks for later mapping. No problem.

So he does. Brings in this nice looking twin fin. A little too anorexic for me, but I could ride it. Anyway we kill the rest of the beers and he leaves. And I never see him again. lol. He sends guys down to pick up machined blanks here and there, but there is never any mention of the board in the racks.

Years pass. Maybe 3? I finally pull the twin out of the racks and decide the storage fees have mounted to the point where the board is mine. So I pull it out and look at it a little closer. Both of the glass on twins are about to pop off. It's like somebody glassed them on with hotcoat resin. Whatever. I'd have ripped one of those fins off in a turn if I had tried to ride it. So back in the racks it goes.

Years pass. I finally decide I am going to take the thing home, knock the fins off of it and re-glass them on. So I have this room in my house where three walls are all taken up with vertical racks. The board goes in the racks. And I procrastinate. Years pass. lol. Every now and then I pull the board out and think maybe I should fix it. But then, I think "What would Toby do?"

Probably nothing. The board is still in my racks.

Anybody want to buy a Pavel twin with loose fins?

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I have a great Pavel story.

My buddy orders a custom through another shaper who was collaborating with Pavel. Deposit paid. Heard nothing for months. Rings the other shaper to check status. Shaper has no clue what’s going on and can’t contact Pavel because no one knows where he is. He’s off grid. Shaper offers to fully refund the deposit or handshape a board of his choice at cost (which was an insane and generous offer for a situation this shaper did not create). My buddy turns it down becuause he wants the Pavel. My buddy periodically checks in with shaper maybe every six months or so. Nothing. Years go past. Shaper eventually tells my buddy to take back the deposit because it’s clearly not happening with Pavel. My buddy reluctantly agrees.

My buddy is checking out boards in Mitch’s one day and notices several new Pavels. Asks if anyone has seen Rich. Yes, he’s actually in the back right now. They walk him back to Pavel. He spends the next three hours shooting the breeze with Pavel who offers to shape him a new board while he’s in town that week. They dial in an order over beers. Rich is stoked, picks out the blank with my buddy, etc. Rich says it will be ready in one month. Well, at one month exactly, Mitch’s calls and says his board is ready. He goes to pick it up and it’s not the correct order. Totally different design, color, glass ons, pin line resin work. Not what he discussed with Rich. Mitch’s apologizes and says they will contact Pavel. They call Pavel while my buddy is in the store. Somehow Pavel picks up. Pavel says that when clearing out an old box, he found my friend’s order card from what is now 5-6 years ago, and he decided to make that board becuause it sounded better. My buddy instantly realizes that he is holding the board he ordered but never received 5 or 6 years earlier.

True story and my friend still owns that Pavel today.

Sep 20, 2019
I'm sure like many shapers who have a following, he has an ego about his boars. enough people tell you your boars are magic, and maybe you start to believe you’re a wizard. LOL I have no idea how many boars he shapes a month, but it seems like a relatively small niche. Maybe he's gotten better at dealing with customers. Here's my experience from Fall '22...
I really liked a couple of his used boars I'd had, so yoloed a Superchunk when I saw he was pushing his delta-v channel bottoms in DarkArts build. Great communication by email/text. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted based on the 5'6 SC quad EPS/epoxy I was updated to 5'8 EPS/carbon, but we made some tweaks based on the spots I surf and the other boars I ride. He assured me the extra 2" length of swing weight would be minimized by the lightweight and responsiveness of DA's CF build, and that I didn't need a quad and the twin works great (with the slot channel adding hold).
Never talked timeframe, but he said DA was turning them around pretty quick and he was stocked to be working with them again. Took a few weeks for him to get the blank for some reason. Met up with him before it was shaped to grab some fins for another boar. He seemed nice and had a good chat about the order, confirmed final dims. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks and then email that it was done (looked perfect in pics) but DA forgot to do the deck color under the glass we ordered and he offered to remake it. Not worth it to me since the DA color job looks pretty DIY anyway, and I wanted to get my grubby hands on that superchunky carbon beauty. We met at DA factory that week to pick up. I think it was 3 months total, which was shorter than I expected. The boar is a magic carpet that does everything I hoped. Very pleased with how it turned out.
CC: @Swiftvelo
View attachment 173154
Glad your experience was a 1000 times better than mine. My order was when he was relative new. My board is number 1200 or something. Your length comment reminded me that I had to argue for a few extra inches. Only thing I ask for, everything else design wise he had full authority over. It’s his design. Well Pavel really. I’m 6’2 and 230 ex hockey player. I’m also on the east coast. I will say my board is great and a magic one. Unfortunately it turned me off of custom boards for along time, jumped on the surf tech and the FireWire train. I now have few shapers I trust

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
What's the magic with Pavel?

I've felt up a few of his boards- they seem pretty bog standard to me.

My brother was waiting ages for a glasser to take care of his board (he'd already paid in full for it)- took months and months.

Finally brother goes around his house grabs him by the neck and puts him up agains the wall and tells him if the board isn't ready by the end of the week he's a fcuking dead man.

Board got done.

Can't believe in good Ole USA where every cnut is armed and dangerous these pretend Picassos get treated with such kid gloves.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
[QUOTE="freeride76, post: 3950041, member: 26461Can't believe in good Ole USA where every cnut is armed and dangerous these pretend Picassos get treated with such kid gloves.
[/QUOTE]

Because no one here fistfights anymore
Lost art and it's causing a bunch of pussies

hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and GromsDad

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

I have a Pavel hand shape in my bedroom. I feel that board up EVERY time i walk past it. Most tuned, dialed in shape i own.

FYI: The majority of "Pavel" boards out there are ghost shapes. You are looking for the heart and wings...

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I think a lot of times the customer is at fault.

Shoulda seen it coming kind of stuff.

For instance, why anyone would ever give Pavel their money is beyond me - mysto persona with a ripoff reputation.

Guys switching around their orders, odd behaviors by shapers while ordering, letting shapers run you around, etc. All this stuff sets you up for failure and is largely in your hands.

The guys who repeatedly order Mayhems despite the order being wrong or super late every time are beyond my comprehension.

I just had a really great experience with a shaper. Excellent communication, boards actually delivered in person to me on time, as ordered. No BS.

Things turn out as ordered, and in the time frame expressed, pretty much 95%+ of the time.
Sounds like you just slut shamed all the surfers that got molested by a shaper for asking for a custom. "But they were wearing a mini-skirt!" :ROFLMAO:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

It's exclusive mysto shaper San Diego BS that people eat up.

That is what.

San Diego is ground zero for it.

We're talking about a guy who is known for taking deposits and not delivering yet people still give him money.

There's plenty of them around. Guys who charge $1500 for a board that haven't even shaped a few hundred boards, guys who "don't just shape for anybody", guys who by many accounts shape horrible boards but are world famous because someone promotes their name etc.

Can't believe in good Ole USA where every cnut is armed and dangerous these pretend Picassos get treated with such kid gloves.
Pretend Picasso about sums it up.

Can you imagine any shapers in OZ that stiff a customer on their deposit, then call them up 4 years later and casually have the customer watch them shape that board like nothing happened? And the customer actually plays along?

I'm guessing that kind of stuff doesn't happen there.

I'm also guessing people don't knowingly order boards from a known rip off artiste.

Last edited:

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
There's plenty of them around. Guys who charge $1500 for a board that haven't even shaped a few hundred boards, guys who "don't just shape for anybody", guys who by many accounts shape horrible boards but are world famous because someone promotes their name etc.
Why do you hate Derrick Disney? Why, you bitter azzhole?

• Haha
Reactions: menobrah and Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I have a great Pavel story.

My buddy orders a custom through another shaper who was collaborating with Pavel. Deposit paid. Heard nothing for months. Rings the other shaper to check status. Shaper has no clue what’s going on and can’t contact Pavel because no one knows where he is. He’s off grid. Shaper offers to fully refund the deposit or handshape a board of his choice at cost (which was an insane and generous offer for a situation this shaper did not create). My buddy turns it down becuause he wants the Pavel. My buddy periodically checks in with shaper maybe every six months or so. Nothing. Years go past. Shaper eventually tells my buddy to take back the deposit because it’s clearly not happening with Pavel. My buddy reluctantly agrees.

My buddy is checking out boards in Mitch’s one day and notices several new Pavels. Asks if anyone has seen Rich. Yes, he’s actually in the back right now. They walk him back to Pavel. He spends the next three hours shooting the breeze with Pavel who offers to shape him a new board while he’s in town that week. They dial in an order over beers. Rich is stoked, picks out the blank with my buddy, etc. Rich says it will be ready in one month. Well, at one month exactly, Mitch’s calls and says his board is ready. He goes to pick it up and it’s not the correct order. Totally different design, color, glass ons, pin line resin work. Not what he discussed with Rich. Mitch’s apologizes and says they will contact Pavel. They call Pavel while my buddy is in the store. Somehow Pavel picks up. Pavel says that when clearing out an old box, he found my friend’s order card from what is now 5-6 years ago, and he decided to make that board becuause it sounded better. My buddy instantly realizes that he is holding the board he ordered but never received 5 or 6 years earlier.

True story and my friend still owns that Pavel today.
was the boar magic?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

My brother was waiting ages for a glasser to take care of his board (he'd already paid in full for it)- took months and months.

Finally brother goes around his house grabs him by the neck and puts him up agains the wall and tells him if the board isn't ready by the end of the week he's a fcuking dead man.

Board got done.

wait, so u have to threaten to fight a shaper to get a boar now? man i’m so confused about the order fighting process

• Haha
Reactions: encladd

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
wait, so u have to threaten to fight a shaper to get a boar now? man i’m so confused about the order fighting process
Allright, we've heard about enough out of you Solebro! You should have never sold that red HYnson twinzer, you stingy bastard!

• Love
Reactions: Havoc