Longest you have waited for a custom order?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My last custom order was for two customs for my son during Covid. Took almost 6-months which is an eternity with a growing teen. Waited so long that when the boards arrived we had missed the contest season they were intended for and my son had grown enough that the boards were too small when they arrived. Sold them on Marketplace and he's gotten boards off the rack since.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
15-16 months for a MOTE during covid and when he used to hand shape them all from scratch. Great board and worth the wait.
Now you can get a SJ Design board much faster.
Machine shaping now?

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
18 months from Manny Caro from his days up north. At first the phone would be picked up, stopped after six months. When is was picked up, told not to bother him and yelled at. Had two trips planed that the board wasn’t ready for. Was told six months. When it did show up it was the wrong color and had bubble in the glass from moonlight. Called Manny up and got yelled at again. “ I put free pin lines on it. “. He never did answer a call from me again. Learned a lot during that process though.
Yikes. He sounds pretty fragile.

• Wow
Reactions: Bman76

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yikes. He sounds pretty fragile.
I'm sure like many shapers who have a following, he has an ego about his boars. enough people tell you your boars are magic, and maybe you start to believe you’re a wizard. LOL I have no idea how many boars he shapes a month, but it seems like a relatively small niche. Maybe he's gotten better at dealing with customers. Here's my experience from Fall '22...
I really liked a couple of his used boars I'd had, so yoloed a Superchunk when I saw he was pushing his delta-v channel bottoms in DarkArts build. Great communication by email/text. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted based on the 5'6 SC quad EPS/epoxy I was updated to 5'8 EPS/carbon, but we made some tweaks based on the spots I surf and the other boars I ride. He assured me the extra 2" length of swing weight would be minimized by the lightweight and responsiveness of DA's CF build, and that I didn't need a quad and the twin works great (with the slot channel adding hold).
Never talked timeframe, but he said DA was turning them around pretty quick and he was stocked to be working with them again. Took a few weeks for him to get the blank for some reason. Met up with him before it was shaped to grab some fins for another boar. He seemed nice and had a good chat about the order, confirmed final dims. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks and then email that it was done (looked perfect in pics) but DA forgot to do the deck color under the glass we ordered and he offered to remake it. Not worth it to me since the DA color job looks pretty DIY anyway, and I wanted to get my grubby hands on that superchunky carbon beauty. We met at DA factory that week to pick up. I think it was 3 months total, which was shorter than I expected. The boar is a magic carpet that does everything I hoped. Very pleased with how it turned out.
CC: @Swiftvelo
4F1D4E29-4ACA-4171-A76A-1BF31553BD53.jpg

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'm sure like many shapers who have a following, he has an ego about his boars. enough people tell you your boars are magic, and maybe you start to believe it. LOL I have no idea how many boars he shapes a month, but it seems like a relatively small niche. Maybe he's gotten better at dealing with customers. Here's my experience from in Fall '22...
I really liked a couple of his used boars I'd had, so yoloed a Superchunk when I saw he was pushing his delta-v channel bottoms in DarkArts build. Great communication by email/text. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted based on the 5'6 SC quad EPS/epoxy I was updated to 5'8 EPS/carbon, but we made some tweaks based on the spots I surf and the other boars I ride. He assured me the extra 2" length of swing weight would be minimized by the lightweight and responsiveness of DA's CF build, and that I didn't need a quad and the twin works great (with the slot channel adding hold). Never talked timeframe, but he said DA was turning them around pretty quick and he was stocked to be working with them again. Took a few weeks for him to get the blank for some reason. Met up with him before it was shaped to grab some fins for another boar. He seemed nice and had a good chat about the order, confirmed final dims. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks and then email that it was done (looked perfect in pics) but DA forgot to do the deck color under the glass we ordered and he offered to remake it. Not worth it to me since the DA color job looks pretty DIY anyway, and I wanted to get my grubby hands on that superchunky carbon beauty. We met at DA factory that week to pick up. I think it was 3 months total, which was shorter than I expected. The boar is a magic carpet that does everything I hoped. Very pleased with how it turned out.

meh, needs more yelling to complete the boar ordering experience

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There should be an ***official thread of yelp reviews for custom shapers. Some of the posts in this thread aren’t helpful without naming names.
I think a lot of times the customer is at fault.

Shoulda seen it coming kind of stuff.

For instance, why anyone would ever give Pavel their money is beyond me - mysto persona with a ripoff reputation.

Guys switching around their orders, odd behaviors by shapers while ordering, letting shapers run you around, etc. All this stuff sets you up for failure and is largely in your hands.

The guys who repeatedly order Mayhems despite the order being wrong or super late every time are beyond my comprehension.

I just had a really great experience with a shaper. Excellent communication, boards actually delivered in person to me on time, as ordered. No BS.

Things turn out as ordered, and in the time frame expressed, pretty much 95%+ of the time.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I'm sure like many shapers who have a following, he has an ego about his boars. enough people tell you your boars are magic, and maybe you start to believe you’re a wizard. LOL I have no idea how many boars he shapes a month, but it seems like a relatively small niche. Maybe he's gotten better at dealing with customers. Here's my experience from Fall '22...
I really liked a couple of his used boars I'd had, so yoloed a Superchunk when I saw he was pushing his delta-v channel bottoms in DarkArts build. Great communication by email/text. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted based on the 5'6 SC quad EPS/epoxy I was updated to 5'8 EPS/carbon, but we made some tweaks based on the spots I surf and the other boars I ride. He assured me the extra 2" length of swing weight would be minimized by the lightweight and responsiveness of DA's CF build, and that I didn't need a quad and the twin works great (with the slot channel adding hold).
Never talked timeframe, but he said DA was turning them around pretty quick and he was stocked to be working with them again. Took a few weeks for him to get the blank for some reason. Met up with him before it was shaped to grab some fins for another boar. He seemed nice and had a good chat about the order, confirmed final dims. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks and then email that it was done (looked perfect in pics) but DA forgot to do the deck color under the glass we ordered and he offered to remake it. Not worth it to me since the DA color job looks pretty DIY anyway, and I wanted to get my grubby hands on that superchunky carbon beauty. We met at DA factory that week to pick up. I think it was 3 months total, which was shorter than I expected. The boar is a magic carpet that does everything I hoped. Very pleased with how it turned out.
manny's on this list and maybe the spectrum.

ordered a board from him 10 or 12 yrs ago. unbeknownst to me he was about to enter his artist phase and was only going to shape for friends and supplicants, of which i was neither.

started fine with quoted 6-8 week wait. wasnt until around week 12 that i called or emailed (cant remember) a hey checking in whats up. no response.

rinsed and repeated a few times. he ghosted

wasnt until the 6 month mark that he got back to me. acted surprised that he "forgot"

board arrived a few weeks later. quad fish. was a sick shape. was also the softest board ive ever had. i think he didnt ever bother to get the correct blank and just overshaped a bigger blank he had laying around.

never got yelled at tho

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
manny's on this list and maybe the spectrum.
oh, ok. I could see that. certainly a bit quirky in person.

edit: couldn't there be a lot of this (undiagnosed) amongst shapers? think about the personality that wants to spend hours alone in a shaping bay mowing foam into a perfect form, year after year. No offense to anyone here who shapes, but I couldn't do it. It seems unlikely that the same person who would be able to do this at a high level of craftsmanship & effectiveness, might be capable of running an efficient customer-facing production business. Very different skill sets. I can do the latter, but not the former.

Last edited: