Longest you have waited for a custom order?

Nov 16, 2023
6 months from mayhem during Covid and just recently waited 5 months from a smaller shaper and I think he forgot all about it and got it done in a week

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
4 years in and Rich randomly calls one day to meet up and shape the board. I get there and it's already roughly cut. He spent another 4 hours fine tuning it and it's an amazing board, unlike the other Speedialers I've seen.
:socrazy:

Glad the board was a good one...but I dunno man, that seems a little insulting.

Like the ultimate show of arrogance.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
For fvcks sakes these aren't babies.

Can we all just switch over to months for simplicity please? Rounding up or down is fine.

P.S. If you're telling me your baby's age, do it in months as well.

P.P.S. I don't want to hear about your baby.
well, some shapers deliver in days so months isn't a precise enough measurement

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why not good?
Despite wanting less surfers in the water I think it's good for surfing when shapers have steady business.

I think the craftsman aspect of surfing (despite the machine) and local shapers and glassers are important.

Relationship with customers, direct feedback, local wave knowledge, etc.

Like when Gunther made that board for you there was meaning in that human interaction, wouldn't you say? The whole act of going to his workshop to look for a board and then the way things worked out. A little story that probably played over in your mind a few times since.

When this is gone and 95% of boards are being made in Xinghuazou, China... I think it will be surfing's biggest turn for the worst.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Despite wanting less surfers in the water I think it's good for surfing when shapers have steady business.

I think the craftsman aspect of surfing (despite the machine) and local shapers and glassers are important.

Relationship with customers, direct feedback, local wave knowledge, etc.

Like when Gunther made that board for you there was meaning in that human interaction, wouldn't you say? The whole act of going to his workshop to look for a board and then the way things worked out. A little story that probably played over in your mind a few times since.

When this is gone and 95% of boards are being made in Xinghuazou, China... I think it will be surfing's biggest turn for the worst.
maybe more a sign of peoples confidence in the economy and a robust used market as covid kooks work through the trial and error of board buying, than firewire/slater/et al pos pop outs

Aug 29, 2014
Aleutian Juice... 6 months. He let me know what was going on and I was happy to wait.

Roberts... 11 days. My first Roberts, picking it up this weekend. Psyched!

Reactions: surfwhere
Sep 20, 2019
18 months from Manny Caro from his days up north. At first the phone would be picked up, stopped after six months. When is was picked up, told not to bother him and yelled at. Had two trips planed that the board wasn’t ready for. Was told six months. When it did show up it was the wrong color and had bubble in the glass from moonlight. Called Manny up and got yelled at again. “ I put free pin lines on it. “. He never did answer a call from me again. Learned a lot during that process though.

Dec 18, 2014
Roberts came to the North East on a taking orders tour. I met him and he suggested a Vindicator model. Asked him how long to build the board. He said 4 weeks. I looked him in the eye and said, 'no, really - how long?". He didn't back down and insisted even more emphatically that it would only be 4 weeks.

After 8 weeks, I called him. Told him I don't normally nag shapers, but that he did say four weeks. He had no explanation, no apology, said board was at glassers... After 3 months total, I got the board. Decent board, but by then hurricane season had come and gone.