Longest resting underwater breath hold?

Dec 10, 2011
took breath hold survival course years ago....4 min static breath hold. Great experience.....getting caught inside on big days not a concern anymore....however eating sh!t on a drop still sucks.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Doing the Wim Hof method, I’ve held my breath for over 6 minutes after a full exhale. I don’t do it underwater, just lying on my back. I don’t have any apnea experience or training and Im 51 yo. It’s strangely easy as well. I don’t do it very often because I don’t know how good it is for me but it feels good.
fk a man. 6 minutes! how many in/outs you doing and how many rounds to get there? ive been doing it for like 6 months and get to just 3 minutes after 3 rounds/30 breaths a round. im not dying ofr air at that point but im def getting the urge thats it time to breath.

Aug 2, 2006
It’s on the 3rd round after the usual 30 breaths. I don’t know if this is “cheating” but I do it using a sauna blanket which is like a heated sleeping bag. By that point, I’m close to sweating because of the heat so all of my blood vessels are very dilated. I have mild contractions around 4 minutes or so and once I get through those, it gets really easy. It’s crazy.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
When I was fit I could go 75 yards underwater. I once saw a girl go 99 yards. As she came up to grab the wall on that last yard she started seizing. She ended up fine but freaked everyone the fuck out.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
50 yards isn’t even a full length of an Olympic sized pool.
I stand corrected.

In the United States, most competitive swimming pools are 25 yards long. This is the most standard length competition pool, and the one most commonly mistaken for an Olympic sized pool (by those who were not competitive swimmers). Most US high schools, public recreation centers, universities and YMCA's have 25-yard pools. Swimmers refer to this type of pool as "short course", or "short course yards". On paper, the acronym is SCY.
Sorry for offending all you competitive swimmers. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: kelpcutter

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I stand corrected.

Sorry for offending all you competitive swimmers. :oops:
“Olympic sized pool” is a marketing term used by gyms and homebuilders to make you think the facilities are cooler than they really are.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
2 laps of an olympic sized pool is 100 meters.
Which is significantly more challenging than 4 laps in a 25 yard pool.

My short course swimming career was pretty much built on starts, turns, and glides with just enough fakery to hang in there for the other half of the race where you actually had to swim.

I totally sucked in long course pools.

Last edited:
Reactions: sh3

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Which is significantly more challenging than 4 laps in a 25 yard pool.

My short course swimming career was pretty much built on starts, turns, and glides with just enough fakery to hang in there for the other half of the race where you actually had to swim.

I totally sucked in long course pools.
Not for underwater swimming. The turns in a 25 yard pool are oxygen wasters.