Long Term Surf Injuries

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Hit and run over at 15.

Flew thru a windshield at 19.

Tboned by an 18 wheeler that ran a red at 21.

Degenerative arthrosis in both hips.

Broken so many bones (not mended via hospitals or drs) cannot remember.

Just broke a toe last week, low tide of course!

Surfing?

I don't even know how I get out of bed, walk, or get around even to be honest.

Every time I can paddle out I give thanks just before, and normally shed tears of joy and fear.

Joy, because I can. Fear, that it may be the last time ever.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This marks probably the least amount of time I've ever surfed in a one year span.

I hear you.

My back and hip has me out of the water for over a year now.
II've battled lower back/disc injuries since my early 20's. THis one got to the point that I had surgery. I'm able to live and do things now. I can even work out and paddle. But impact movements and certain core movements (most notably pulling my legs underneath my body to stand up) are still really painful. Through PT it was determined that there is a labrum teat, arthritis and a deformed femoral head that is likely causing some of the pain. The surgeon suggested surgery that will have me out of the water another 4-6 months.

Pretty bummed to be sidelined in the year of working from home with no 2 hour commute.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
10/30/19 - Pulled quad muscle on my right leg and could not bend my knee for two months. I was able to surf again mid- January 2020. It felt like forever and was told at one point if I was not able to start bending my knee I might have to have surgery.

11/14/20 - A little more than a year after my quad injury. Broke my tibia, fibula and tillaux chaput fracture while checking the surf at 7am, fell and sat on my leg. It's been almost 2 months and I can tell I'm not gonna surf until at least August (if I'm lucky) and I'll be feeling this one for the rest of my life. I have a screw I can feel when I turn my foot. It sucks.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
II've battled lower back/disc injuries since my early 20's. THis one got to the point that I had surgery. I'm able to live and do things now. I can even work out and paddle. But impact movements and certain core movements (most notably pulling my legs underneath my body to stand up) are still really painful.
I've had issues with my L4, L5 and L5S1 vertebra/discs off and on for 10-plus years. Got bad enough at one point four or so years ago that I would get that neurological "shock wave" down through my lower body when I popped up and my legs and feet would temporarily go numb, just what you want when you're in the water. Had to take an extended hiatus out of the water while I did a lot of acupuncture, changed some things in my diet, stretched more, etc. Now I'm back and it all seems to be holding up fine. For now...

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Some pain and stiffness in the knees, hips, lower back, and shoulders off and on. I guess that's expected as I grow old. Eight days of pumping surf so far this year, so it not slowing me down too much yet. Just got to keep moving so my joints don't fuse together. Maybe start deadlifting and give up this office chair?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I hear you.

II've battled lower back/disc injuries since my early 20's. THis one got to the point that I had surgery. I'm able to live and do things now. I can even work out and paddle. But impact movements and certain core movements (most notably pulling my legs underneath my body to stand up) are still really painful. Through PT it was determined that there is a labrum teat, arthritis and a deformed femoral head that is likely causing some of the pain. The surgeon suggested surgery that will have me out of the water another 4-6 months.

Pretty bummed to be sidelined in the year of working from home with no 2 hour commute.
Sorry to hear that Bob. I as following your ordeal on the lower back thread. Sounds like you're not able to surf yet and are suffering another set back. After 6-7 months dry docked because of my back I as finally getting back into form and as looking forward to this winter and the first swell hits and I slice my finger and before it can heal I open it up again. Inuries suck.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Torn/repaired ACL in my left knee. Even after rehab and 8+ months out of the water it still feels wobbly. Just not the same any more.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
empathy here... i haven't surfed in a year, booked surgery #4 for my right shoulder for the 27th... maybe back in the water before end of 2021?

Reactions: Leaverite

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
I hear you.

Very sorry to hear this. I've been out for a while. It's not fun. I sincerely hope you recover quickly. Believe me, I understand.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="726" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SurfsUpChuck

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 3, 2005
Alma, Ca
I started surfing when Nixon was in the White House and Ronnie Raygun was in Sacramento. Injuries and the years add up. I have been putting these orthotics in my booties for about 10 years after I got turf toe which took forever to heal. Also after my Mom kept telling me to try TriFlora for my knees and ankle tendonitis I tried it, stuffs great I buy it all the time now, old guy goop keeps me going.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.33.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.31.49 AM.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
not sure what i did to my neck but its constant pain for years
hips hurt when i walk too much
hit a big crack and face planted on my skateboard 2 months ago, wrist still hurts, especially when i use it for surfing
Some sprained wrists can take longer to heal than a broken wrist.