Long COVID

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Haven't been on here for a while due to not surfing for the last year.

Anyone else's surfing suffering due to Long COVID symptoms? I'm about 13 months in and have only been able to surf a handful of times starting last month. My symptoms are similar to chronic fatigue syndrome, varying levels of deep fatigue and headaches. Slowly improving it seems, but still may be awhile to feeling normal, if ever.

Not surfing regularly on the weekends and vacations for me has been a blow. Had to cancel yet another surf camping trip this weekend. It's not easy to lose my fitness and technical skills. I struggle with deciding if I should push myself to go out occasionally or just leave it alone.

Would be interested to hear how others might be dealing with this.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sorry to hear.

i don't really have any solid advice unfortunately. i got covid this summer and it really sucked. symptoms lingered for a month or two and i was starting to get worried but eventually, slowly, i started to feel normal again.

i would take the fact that you are feeling some slow improvement as a positive sign.

do you feel worse after exercising or surfing? i would be inclined to exercise if you can do so without feeling like it's setting you back.

Reactions: Lohena

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You got to do what you can. Keep pushing into your discomfort.

Quercetin is worth a try.

Low dose Vitamin C every day too.

I suspect that bad feeling is your immune system over reacting after the trauma of getting covid.

I'm not a dr.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Not true.

The immune system becomes over reactive, seeing threats that are not threats. The symptoms are the body's immune response to the perceived threat.

Not in the head.

In the immune system?

Yes.

When I get the flu my immune system is always over reactive months after.

Covid too.

PS, I"m not a dr.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

Anyone else's surfing suffering due to Long COVID symptoms? I'm about 13 months in and have only been able to surf a handful of times starting last month. My symptoms are similar to chronic fatigue syndrome, varying levels of deep fatigue and headaches. Slowly improving it seems, but still may be awhile to feeling normal, if ever.

Not surfing regularly on the weekends and vacations for me has been a blow. Had to cancel yet another surf camping trip this weekend. It's not easy to lose my fitness and technical skills. I struggle with deciding if I should push myself to go out occasionally or just leave it alone.

So the question is , what can you do? There is no treatment for long covid so you can't take a med. You can got to your pcp and get a cardiac ultrasound (echo) some labs, maybe some pulmonary function tests. Check out those and make sure they are ok but then you are back to square one. What can you do? Simple things are about all you can do, eat well, exercise, get good sleep and do the best you can. also talk to someone about it.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Thanks to most of you (not all!).

I guess a good general question for everyone is what would you do if you could only surf in a limited capacity and it made you feel really tired after? Let's say a couple short sessions a month in small waves. Better to take what you can get or walk away at least temporarily?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks to most of you (not all!).

I guess a good general question for everyone is what would you do if you could only surf in a limited capacity and it made you feel really tired after? Let's say a couple short sessions a month in small waves. Better to take what you can get or walk away at least temporarily?
Swim to build endurance. Gotta push your limits to build and that takes effort.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

You’ll never get back into surfing shape by canceling surf trips and refraining from surfing.

When I got COVID it took awhile to get my cardio back.

When I took 2 weeks off of training and sat on my ass because my knee was fucked up it took awhile to get my cardio back.

Being “in shape“ goes away from inactivity very quickly. It takes time to get it back.

Surfing shape requires you to go surf.

Are you an adult learner? If so you are now all the way back to zero for surfing fitness.

Are you female?

How much weight have you gained in the last year?

How much activity do you engage in daily?

Have you considered trying anti-depressant medication like Wellbutrin?

It’s more likely that what you think is “long COVID” is simply being out of shape and depressed.

Reactions: Ifallalot

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Not true.

The immune system becomes over reactive, seeing threats that are not threats. The symptoms are the body's immune response to the perceived threat.

Not in the head.

In the immune system?

Yes.

When I get the flu my immune system is always over reactive months after.

Covid too.

PS, I"m not a dr.
So if I got a shot/vaccine for something I already had and my body was busy building anti-bodies to defeat this....
Wouldn't that cause my immune system to over react and seeing a threat that is not a threat?

PS, also not a dr.
nor do I have any Holiday Inn Express receipts.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So if I got a shot/vaccine for something I already had and my body was busy building anti-bodies to defeat this....
Wouldn't that cause my immune system to over react and seeing a threat that is not a threat?

PS, also not a dr.
nor do I have any Holiday Inn Express receipts.
Yes, but it usually lasts like a day.

The problem with the corona is it changes so it can keep getting you.

I think people don't realize how fucked up this is.

They don't know what the effect is going to be long term.

Polio gave people Parkinson's 30 years after the infection.

I think corona will do the same. Funky immune sh!t will start appearing in old age

I agree the vaccines are not ideal

Last edited:
Reactions: kpd73