LIST OF DOOMSDAY PREDICTIONS CLIMATE ALARMIST GOT RIGHT

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
wrong...

one is a personal attack the other is activism

I would expect different outcomes contrary to what the meme infers
Playing semantic games, just like your buddies who now discount every comparison as a bad comparison

I’m not even sure which one you’re saying is a personal attack and which one is activism. Greta is an activist. Mini AOC is parody/comedy

The right has said some mean words about Greta, an activist. The Left made death threats against something that was funny

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Playing semantic games, just like your buddies who now discount every comparison as a bad comparison

I’m not even sure which one you’re saying is a personal attack and which one is activism. Greta is an activist. Mini AOC is parody/comedy

The right has said some mean words about Greta, an activist. The Left made death threats against something that was funny
well, there have also been death threats made against Greta so
the whole thing may be moot, but it seems pretty clear to me that
an individual who is directly attacking a sacred cow individually
and directly may incur more wrath than an individual who is trying
to promote a political agenda.

one act is done in good faith, the other is being done in bad faith.

one act is directed broadly at global leaders and the other act is
being focused upon a single individual

I don't think the responses that either girl has received are warranted
by any stretch of the imagination, but even if you ignore the first point
at the top of this response, it seems intuitive to me why the two have
*enjoyed* different outcomes.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That’s some crazy accuracy. Is that for real? Serious question. We can see 1/1000 of an inch level change from space?!?!?!?!?

I have equipment for work that measures changes in liquid level. It is the most accurate commercially available equipment that is approved for the liquids it’s used for and I can only measure 2/1000 of an inch level changes. And the equipment is in the liquid.
Datalogging software has made our industry a lot easier.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
That’s some crazy accuracy. Is that for real? Serious question. We can see 1/1000 of an inch level change from space?!?!?!?!?

I have equipment for work that measures changes in liquid level. It is the most accurate commercially available equipment that is approved for the liquids it’s used for and I can only measure 2/1000 of an inch level changes. And the equipment is in the liquid.
Well, maybe not 1/1000th of an inch. More like 1/10th of a millimeter, which is almost 4/1000ths of an inch. I work with metric conversion all the time and know the fraction equivalents of a millimeter to inches pretty quickly in my head.

Just to give some scale. A hair width is about 2/1000ths of an inch give or take 1/1000th. Hard to believe they can get that accuracy from space 1000's of miles up, but that's the "claim". How it works on an constantly moving/undulating sea surface still has me in awe wondering too.

Edit: Here's a study of the "claims" of 0.1mm accuracy of the recently launched altimetry satellites. 0.1mm is "claimed" but reality seems to show a much, much higher +/- tolerance of that.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Comparisons rely on semantics.

Words have meaning.

It's really hard to craft valid comparisons.

As we see.

The first part of the companion is that they are both comedians, which is not accurate.

The second part is that the right wing comedian got death threats and and Greta didn't not, which she did. But the comparison is already invalidated by the attribute substitution made by the meme maker, by saying they are both comedians.

Like I said, it's hard to craft good comparisons.

Motivated reasoning makes us see what isn't there.

But I get it.

Thinking is hard.

#formetoo

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Well, maybe not 1/1000th of an inch. More like 1/10th of a millimeter, which is almost 4/1000ths of an inch. I work with metric conversion all the time and know the fraction equivalents of a millimeter to inches pretty quickly in my head.

Just to give some scale. A hair width is about 2/1000ths of an inch give or take 1/1000th. Hard to believe they can get that accuracy from space 1000's of miles up, but that's the "claim". How it works on an constantly moving/undulating sea surface still has me in awe wondering too.

Edit: Here's a study of the "claims" of 0.1mm accuracy of the recently launched altimetry satellites. 0.1mm is "claimed" but reality seems to show a much, much higher +/- tolerance of that.

Color me skeptical.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Comparisons rely on semantics.

Words have meaning.

It's really hard to craft valid comparisons.

As we see.

The first part of the companion is that they are both comedians, which is not accurate.

The second part is that the right wing comedian got death threats and and Greta didn't not, which she did. But the comparison is already invalidated by the attribute substitution made by the meme maker, by saying they are both comedians.

Like I said, it's hard to craft good comparisons.

Motivated reasoning makes us see what isn't there.

But I get it.

Thinking is hard.

#formetoo
Bullshit

You can nuance away any comparison to make it invalid, and you choose to do so, willingly, every time.

Good comparisons are easy: stop overthinking things

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You can nuance away any comparison to make it invalid, and you choose to do so, willingly, every time.

one should suspend rational thought so you can play stupid meme games?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Bullshit

True, but no one is nuancing anything.

For the comparison to be valid, both would need to be comedians and only one would have to have gotten death threats.

This is not the case. :poop:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Bad comparisons are heuristics for dumb people, allowing them to keep their simplified world view.

The left makes bad comparisons too because comparing is hard to do.

Here is a lefty one that is really faulty.

"The school to prison pipeline."

Hidden in that gem is an easily to explicate post hoc fallacy.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
or just make more analogous analogies....
It is impossible, no matter how perfect it is because the new erBB tactic (I've done it too) is to instantly discount any comparison that exposes hypocrisy as a bad comparison.

This is just a new tool in our chests to annoy each other

Bravo Auto

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It is impossible, no matter how perfect it is because the new erBB tactic (I've done it too) is to instantly discount any comparison that exposes hypocrisy as a bad comparison.

This is just a new tool in our chests to annoy each other

Bravo Auto
I disagree. there are certain artistic liberties implicit to analogy.

you just want to go to the mat over an awful one that was also
flat out wrong on its face.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I disagree. there are certain artistic liberties implicit to analogy.

you just want to go to the mat over an awful one that was also
flat out wrong on its face.
The only thing that was wrong was calling Greta a comedian, because even though she's hilarious, it isn't intentional.

The thing that mattered about that meme, before any over-analyzation is that the Left is willing to make death threats to a little girl dressing up in a costume of one of their totems, while at the same time being perplexed why people would have the gall to make fun of someone who is verbally berating people.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I disagree with the so called fixes to this problem because they won’t actually fix it.

And I’m not convinced that a warmer planet is ONLY bad.

Disruption in what is (was?) relatively predictable always brings winners and losers.

Some are new the winning/losing side, some are not.

Bigger the disruption, the more difficult to say who went from which status to who will be what status (in advance...afterwards should be easier with the 20:20 hindsight thing)

Warmer earth/colder earth from what we've had for the last 10K-12K years in a relatively short time will be bad for a lot of humans used to the way things have been.

By a similar token, more pollution in our land/waiter/air, more habitat loss, more population pressures, etc., also brings disruption to the dinner table.

Adapt or die....same as it ever was.

Last edited: