Lightbender or RNF 96

May 20, 2020
Looking for a fishy type board that can handle some size. These 2 seem to be the ERbb favorites. I'm strongly considering a Lightbender for beachbreaks. Anyone have or had a LB want to weigh in? I sawThanks.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I had an RNF 96 but didn’t click with it (too big) so can’t give you an accurate assessment on that. However, everything I read about it says it can handle some sizable surf and likely has a bit more performance than the LB.

I have a winged LB and it’s a great board. It can handle some size and definitely gets shreddy, but it’s more of a fish outline than performance. I ride mine in FL beach breaks with upright fins for quicker direction changes. I did not like it with keels or semi-keels in the beachies.

Really depends on what you’re looking for out of it.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
i have zero experience with albums but I surf the RNF96 every day. it's my all-time favorite board and holds incredibly well in the semi-punchy beach break i surf it in. i've had it out in up to head high conditions and never had to think twice about stability on takeoffs. i've experimented a lot with the board and this is my fin setup:

when used as a...
groveler - power twins, no trailer
daily driver - power twins with trailer
good waves - MF twins + trailer

i plan on trying it as a thruster at some point too

I will say that it took me a few tries to get the board sizing right. I would go an inch shorter than you think you should. For me, I ride a 5'6 Twin Keel, and 5'10 shortboards. My initial thought was 5'8 for the RNF but the 5'7 is light years better for me and has become my magic board.

feel free to dm me with any rnf96 questions

Last edited:

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I don't have any lightbender experience but I was recently shopping myself between these two. I went with the RNF96. It has much more range as far as waves go. Ive only had it for a couple of weeks but so far mushy 3 footers no problem, hurricane surf a little OH no problem, steep waves no problem. I was having a paddling into wave issue but it was corrected by moving a little forward on the board since that is where the foam is.

Also its probably half the price of a light bender.

Mar 15, 2022
I really like my RNF 96. I haven't been able to test the high end of its range since I have only had it for about a month. But so far its very user friendly in the shoulder high and below surf we have been getting. This board clicked with me right away. I think I am going to try some power twins or MFs in it. Been running the MRs.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This post is a potential powder keg :roflmao:
34 pages later: "you don't even surf hipster!" "Gtfo mayhem bootlicker"

Reactions: chilly1
Jan 10, 2014
Have surfed my RNF in head high+ east coast surf. Didn’t feel out gunned at all-but mine is only 1- 2” under my height.
I had a bad experience with a previous Lost custom. I picked up the RNF96 OTR and it’s been excellent so far

Reactions: Havoc

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The one lost I got custom had a half ass glass job that dented if you looked at it. I've seen many snapped lightspeeds too, as well as blown out fin boxes. But heard great things about the rnf shape itself. Maybe go xtr?

Homie has a lightbender which he really likes but it's more a retro fish with a pulled in tail. He says it needs some push to the waves to do its thing. It definitely is foam heavy, but all albums seem to be--- yet they just work.

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
While I haven’t ridden a RNF in a long time I’ve been really liking my Twinbender. First Album I’ve clicked with, it packs some foam but still has that twin spark with that first pump off the fins. I think it may be more comparable to the RNF as more contemporary than the light bender which I haven’t ridden.

Reactions: sdsrfr

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Quite a few guys ride the RNF as a HPSB in surf to head high +. A very versatile board IMHO

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I'm inches from pulling the trigger on an RNF 96, but only because I've heard so many good things.

I have a LB in XTR that works in anything... Clocked tube time in punchy beach breaks with it. Rocker + pulled in tail + rearward fin placement is

Mine is properly sized for performance. I have a buddy who has ridden it, and said it felt like a thruster. I don't agree, but its a good board in lots of conditions. Had to recalibrate to the curvy outline when I took it out the other day... I can put it anywhere.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i'd go lost
the deeper the swallowtail the less i like em

Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm inches from pulling the trigger on an RNF 96, but only because I've heard so many good things.

I have a LB in XTR that works in anything... Clocked tube time in punchy beach breaks with it. Rocker + pulled in tail + rearward fin placement is

Mine is properly sized for performance. I have a buddy who has ridden it, and said it felt like a thruster. I don't agree, but its a good board in lots of conditions. Had to recalibrate to the curvy outline when I took it out the other day... I can put it anywhere.
I rate the LB highly as well. Super versatile. I don't think it feels like a thruster either but i would agree with someone if they said it can be pushed like a thruster. It's not a slippery twin. It holds and drives.

I haven't ridden an RNF but i've done a fair bit of fondling. I know people love it and I think mayhem has some great designs but for me it doesn't seem like a good fit. At least in stock dims. Short boards with curvy outlines and rocker are just not my thing. I've had so many different versions of these type of boards and they are always very hit or miss for me. If I'm gonna ride a 5-8 or whatever I want it to be flat and chunky. I'm a tall guy though. For most normal people the RNF stock dims will work fine.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Completely agree with @Aruka and @SixtyGrit

Mostly shortboard background. Board looks thick and chunky up front but doesn't surf like that. Really like it. I also agree with what Aruka said about the stubby shortboards (and for me, stubby losts in particular).

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka