Lib Tech Puddle Jumper

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
what's your verdict on these- good for wide tail gravel boars? and are the rears double foiled too?

View attachment 110583
Love em on wide tail grovel board my gbuzz 5'2" x20.25" x 2.375" diamond tail sk8 deck. I believe inside foil fronts and rears 50/50 like all Stretch quad templates :shaka: :shaka:

Reactions: tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Apparently at least from what I have heard, the ones are being made this year are in fact lighter.
Maybe you were talking about fins, but the Lib Tech boards were never heavy in my opinion, but yes the new plastic rails are claimed to make the boards ~10% lighter.

I think they flex well, bust through chop with that balance of light but not too light, and the durability is the best in the business. I am very careful with my boards and have still cracked epoxies a couple times over the last handful of years.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I just picked up a used LibTech 5'8" Rocket Redux for my daughter (she's been borrowing my PJ but it's a bit wide/bulky for her and, well, it's MINE... haha) and it's a really nice shape. I'm considering eventually buying one in my dims as a DD.
Mine is the 5'8 too (me 1.88m at 80-85kg). Been riding it for 3 weeks straight and am liking the shape a lot. Wedging beachies, slopey points, HH, anklebiters, the board just goes. Really easy to catch waves on, no issues with nose dives despite the flat entry, snappy in the pocket but holds the rail surprisingly well. Did not like it that much as a quad, raked thruster went best, and MR with trailer was super fun in the smaller stuff. It's one of those boards that will have my shortboards collect dust for some time....
On a few occasion I was wishing for a more lively built. Then again the entry to one of my go to spots is over a giant stretch of slippery boulders, banged the rail quite a few times and not a single dent in the board so far.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You reckon I should give it another go? What fins specifically?
When I first got mine there were like four other erBBers who hated the things, so I'd put 0 stock in my feedback. I personally like quads in general (I like thrusters too) and I think these go excellent as quads. Mine is pretty slidey though, and I can see people not liking that and trading some speed for the board settling down a bit. I like it as a thruster too but quad is my preference.

I use an older, really large CI. The new CI large fins are a size or so smaller. Then I put the FCS GX side fins as the rears - flat sides. I'll use the 70/30 or 80/20foiled ones sometimes if I'm riding it in kind of better surf or there's more easy speed.

But maybe if you're at the lower end of the board's range try a quad setup again.

Reactions: claw87

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for the intel! I've only tried accelerator and reactor fronts with reactor rears. Both usually work well for me in boards with a straight outline. Maybe the rocket has too much tail rocker for that :unsure:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Cool little YOLO. My daughter's boyfriend had borrowed my cruiser bicycle until he got his car licence. I'd been giving him driving lessons (100 hrs supervised requirement) and he passed his test the other week.
So I dropped by to get the bike back and took it across the road to the Headland overlooking the beach to get some pics of it so I could sell it. Pretty fun bike to ride so took a little spin on it after taking the pics.
Coming past the local surf shop the owner was just bringing in the used racks to close up for the day. Stopped to say Hi. He commented on how it was a really cool bike. Told him I'd just been taking pics for the ad. He said he had just been in the bike shops looking for a nice surf check bike. So he had a quick test ride on it and deal was struck. I said take the bike now and pay me later in the week.
Funny thing is I had been waiting for a guy to come to my town from interstate with an Aviso Lost RNF but was concerned it would be a bit small for me. So today I dropped into the surf shop and started looking at the RNF's to try to gauge their sizing.
I'd thought about a Lib tech Rocket redux before and there happened to be one 6'2" in stock.
Owner offered me a smoking deal on it with the added benefit of the money from my bike going towards it. Too good to say no.
Hope it works for me. I have a bad back and thrusters irritate it so I prefer the looseness of quads and twins so going to see how the AMT's go. With the Lib tech boxes the AMT's in fcs 2 go in further back than an fcs 1 fin which should help the twin thang.
IMG_20220406_160232_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220406_160247_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I'd thought about a Lib tech Rocket redux before and there happened to be one 6'2" in stock.
Owner offered me a smoking deal on it with the added benefit of the money from my bike going towards it. Too good to say no.
Hope it works for me. I have a bad back and thrusters irritate it so I prefer the looseness of quads and twins so going to see how the AMT's go. With the Lib tech boxes the AMT's in fcs 2 go in further back than an fcs 1 fin which should help the twin thang.
View attachment 127437View attachment 127438
I picked up an OTR Redux (PU) in early January and have been loving it. Literally have not had a bad session on it. I've been running it as a thruster with Blackstix, but am curious to see how it goes as a 2+1 and quad.

Reactions: Retropete and Aruka

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I picked up an OTR Redux (PU) in early January and have been loving it. Literally have not had a bad session on it. I've been running it as a thruster with Blackstix, but am curious to see how it goes as a 2+1 and quad.
The Lib tech ones are in the Redux "wide" dims or very close to them so there is that. Good to hear its such a dependable board.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
The Lib tech ones are in the Redux "wide" dims or very close to them so there is that. Good to hear its such a dependable board.
My board is actually also the wide dims and a 6' 2". :) The hard rails on mine help it from feeling too "boaty" and it's more like the board is one big sweet spot. I love mine, hopefully yours works for you!

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
3-5' this morning and peaky. A few waves with the AMTs and the board felt good but fins were holding it back. It didn't have quite enough drive or control. Went in and changed them for a Performer quad set and straight away the board felt far better. Got a sweet bottom turn into a high in the face carve on a bigger one that I will lock away in my memory vault for a while. Very happy with the board.
IMG_20220408_085530_HDR.jpg
Don't need to lay it down on the nice soft grass. It's a Lib tech.
IMG_20220408_085538_HDR.jpg
Edit: I had read that the decks can dent a lot on these boards. Though the reports are mixed in this regard. So after my first surf I cleaned all the wax off and couldn't see any heel dents at all. Intended to put front and tail pads anyway so went ahead and put on a Sympl set. After getting out of the water I bumped into another local guy who had a new Lost with team light glassing. After his second surf on it the deck was sinking all along the stringer. Japanese girl who had moved here from Hawaii had been watching the waves and said my carve looked good and the board went great so fugg it, when you're 59 and a girl (any girl ha ha) says the board went great I'm running with it.

Last edited: