Leash caught on rock? Here's how to not drown

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Don't know how many of you have had close calls when your leggie snags on a rock and the current holds you under. It's not fun, and it can be very very hard to undo the velcro, but there's a very handy technique that may just save your life.

Intuitively we bend down from the waist, like when putting on your leash, but this is impossible if there's a strong current. Your torso is just like a sail. Instead, keep your body straight and bend your leg at the knee, bringing your foot up behind your body. The current will push your foot the right way, but the current drag on your body will still pull you away from the rock/coral head. Aim to be as streamlined as possible.

Practice this with a mate holding your board in gentle broken whitewater to get used to the technique. It's literally a lifesaver.

tldr: bend at the knee, but keep the rest of your body straight.

Thank me later.

PS! Big-wave quick release leashes MAY make it easier, but the hard part is actually getting your hand to your ankle. Oh, and don't fold your wettie over the cuff.

Last edited:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Haven't had the displeasure before, but I've thought it about it. And I witnessed it happen to somebody while attempting to make the paddleout on a big day around here. Scary stuff for sure. Thanks for the handy tip, hope I never have to use it.

Reactions: enframed

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Had it happen at J-bay during a short interval kinda stormy day. Luckily water was only chest-to-neck deep. Still took me a bit of struggling against the current to reach the loop and get the cuff undone. Ended up having to undo the board end as well and leave the leash behind. Went back at low tide to recover. Found it but it was pretty shredded.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
had that happen n mex
i was in a panic and just pulled til my leash broke
couldnt reach the ankle while held under

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Have only had it happen a couple of times ... scary. It has been attributed to Mark Foo's drowning at Mavericks. Another - scary thing with leashes .... on bigger days i used to opt for a slightly longer leash ... idea is creating more separation from the board in the event of a bad fall. On one occasion - on a day with a very strong current - the leash became wrapped around both of my legs - i took one on the head in this fashion .... that was an eye-opener for me.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Had this happen before at a spot nearby. I wasn't worried and knew to stay calm, but for some reason my first thought was, damn my board is getting beat to sh!t right now. :roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: trifish

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I haven't really needed to use that one yet, but I've tried to have it drilled into my head. Was once wading out over some flat rock reef in barely thigh high water when my leash got snagged, went from "oh, haha" to "oh, sh!t" within two seconds as the current sat me down on my butt. It really is shocking how much power moving water has.

Reactions: enframed and Maz

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Saw a guy eat sh!t under the pier at __________ ____________ and his board was on one side of the piling him on the other, ripping side shore current.

Dude was held under for a long time while three of us tried to get him free.

Leash broke, he came up coughing water and blood. His knee was destroyed from the leash pulling and twisting his leg.

• Wow
Reactions: trifish and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Saw a guy eat sh!t under the pier at __________ ____________ and his board was on one side of the piling him on the other, ripping side shore current.

Leash broke, he came up coughing water and blood. His knee was destroyed from the leash pulling and twisting his leg.
Yeah, it's no joke. I've had a few close calls in bigger surf; first time the leash broke and I finally came up spewing water. Second time I had a fat 8' leash that wasn't going to break, but I remembered this technique. Thought it'd be a good bit of public service to spread the gospel.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Happened to me once.

Four Mile. A big day, walked out on the shelfs on the north side to jump off. Big sets coming around the corner. Sweeping the shelf before the jumpoff spot. I stood there for 20 minutes, trying to time it.

All of a sudden, a lull. I ran around the corner. And then heard this huge rumbling. Oh Fvck. To far out to go back. A huge wave swept around the point. The shelf I was standing on had 6' - 8' of water blasting across it.

What do you do????

Do you try to run away and get eaten or do you just try to take some kind of a response? I just bent forward and jumped into the flow as high as I could. Slammed down on my back.

When it was over, I was hanging upside down about 3 feet over the water by my right foot. My leash was caught in a crack on the edge of the shelf. I went into overdrive. Trying to pull myself up, grab the rocks and get free.

Then my leash snapped and I just dropped into the water. My board was there, grabbed it and just started paddling away. And it was a lull. Actually scratched outside. So fvcked up. Barnacles on the shelf had sliced right through my 4 Mil wetsuit.

Fins broken off my board.

A lesson to always remember..

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

Happens ever winter at Pismo. Barnacle soup.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Happened to me once.

Four Mile. A big day, walked out on the shelfs on the north side to jump off. Big sets coming around the corner. Sweeping the shelf before the jumpoff spot. I stood there for 20 minutes, trying to time it.

All of a sudden, a lull. I ran around the corner. And then heard this huge rumbling. Oh fvvk. To far out to go back. A huge wave swept around the point. The shelf I was standing on had 6' - 8' of water blasting across it.

What do you do????

Do you try to run away and get eaten or do you just try to take some kind of a response? I just bent forward and jumped into the flow as high as I could. Slammed down on my back.

When it was over, I was hanging upside down about 3 feet over the water by my right foot. My leash was caught in a crack on the edge of the shelf. I went into overdrive. Trying to pull myself up, grab the rocks and get free.

Then my leash snapped and I just dropped into the water. My board was there, grabbed it and just started paddling away. And it was a lull. Actually scratched outside. So fvcked up. Barnacles on the shelf had sliced right through my 4 Mil wetsuit.

Fins broken off my board.

A lesson to always remember..
This is the erBB gold I truly love. Great stories. Keep 'em coming.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I actually made it out into the lineup after that. Bleeding from little slices. My friends witnessed. Sitting there. leaking thin streams of blood. A set wave came through. I paddled, took off and did a 360. The fins on my board sheared off.

Possibly the worst day of surfing in my entire life.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Eastside Kona wind day, I was sitting just outside the pack when I blew a take off and got pitched. My leash grabbed just as I started to break the surface. I only needed a couple of inches so I could breathe. As I was choking underneath the water I could think of only one thing - air. After a few seconds of panic where I was just pulling against my leash, I relaxed and went to take off my leash but when I stopped pulling the leash let go of what ever it was tangled with.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
long time ago,
l8 '80's, i used to sometimes surf with/against a dude from further North of L.A. from Central Cal/SB/Ventura,
i forget, {+ well Surfer Mag is not archived online}, name is Barry Wilson, he was a good competitor, Christian fella,
iirc, he died at Rocky Point from havin' his leash wrap around that rock 'round '90,
i some~times am reminded of him...
enjoy the ride!
:waving:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
long time ago,
l8 '80's, i used to sometimes surf with/against a dude from further North of L.A. from Central Cal/SB/Ventura,
i forget, {+ well Surfer Mag is not archived online}, name is Barry Wilson, he was a good competitor, Christian fella,
iirc, he died at Rocky Point from havin' his leash wrap around that rock 'round '90,
i some~times am reminded of him...
enjoy the ride!
:waving:
Barry was a friend. I believe YouCan'tBeSerious was on the beach when they pulled him out. I had a different location (rock piles) but whatever. His girl was pregnant when he went over there for that. Told me it was his last contest, that after this he was going to give it up, get a job and raise a family.