leash attachment

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
I know you usually use fin roving to make a leash loop on a board, but I do not have any and want to make a quality attachment for thursday morning. anybody have any suggestions? i tired just fiberglassing a strip of fiberglass on and it just ripped open.

surflab

Michael Peterson status
Sep 15, 2003
South Bay/OC
Visit site
all fin roving is is fiberglass strands, just pull a whole bunch apart and line it all up, best is 10 oz cloth but 4 and 6 will work you just need more. why no plug?

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Get one of the stick on kind. They're pretty bulllet proof. Check Craig's Cooperfish Comet thread in the Forum. I can't remember the name of the company but they're made by the same guys who make the Proteck fins.

blakestah

Phil Edwards status
Sep 10, 2002
Two suggestion.

1) Glass leash loop (very pretty if done well). From Mellor at Swaylocks

One way is to scuff the area on the deck where you want the loop - I would say approx. 6" X 3" with the long dimension along the stringer. I mask off around the scuffed area. Wrap some wax paper around a pencil and place it across the stringer in the middle of the scuffed area - tape the ends down to the deck. Build up fin rope and sanding resin over the pencil. I also put little cloth patches on either side of the pencil to help anchor the fin rope but I'm not sure if this is necessary. After it cures, take the pencil out, feather the edges and clean up the hole where the pencil was - you don't want sharp edges where your nylon loop attaches thru the hole. Re-mask, gloss and wet/dry sand it - should be good to go.

2) Through the deck loop. Drill a hole through the board, stick a rod+wax paper in hole, fill with lam resin, remove rod when partially set, touch off top and bottom, grind down when done.

I'd use option 1, although 2 is easier. If you screw up 1), the board is still 100% fine, and you can always do it again.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by R3W:
<strong>Get one of the stick on kind. They're pretty bulllet proof. Check Craig's Cooperfish Comet thread in the Forum. I can't remember the name of the company but they're made by the same guys who make the Proteck fins.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EZ-Plug. No problems so far with mine. I think they're like $5.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
i just tore apart a piece of 6oz cloth and gathered all the strands, made a nice thick glasss bridge and its very strong. thanks for the suggestions though. will look into one of those glue on leash plugs though, looks handy to have around.