Learning to surf as an adult...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The thing I hear from adult learners is this…

…”I want to be a surfer.”

Wrong attitude.

Better to “want to go surfing.”

Surfing is an activity, Surfer is an identity that doesn’t actually require an ability to surf competently.

In other words, many adult learners want to have other people perceive them as “surfers”.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My friends all started surfing in Jr. High. I started standing up in the 10th grade. Compared to them I was a kook, and they reminded me of this constantly.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and tacos

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Must find a way to enjoy returning to the womb of surfing. A long humbling ride, but did more paddling than riding anyway. I'm still pretty good at that, too. :drowning:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Long Beach “seems” to have settled down by about 5 to 10 percent. Still more crowded on decent days than it was in the 20-teens, but not quite as bad as 21 and 22. I think the cold and fickle nature of surfing in the NE probably whittled down some of the Covid learners

just last week I had a 90 minute session all alone, at a popular and well known jetty, on a Sunday, during a telegraphed swell event. There were some other guys scattered on the various peaks to the east and west, but, a year ago I would have been elbow to elbow

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Long Beach “seems” to have settled down by about 5 to 10 percent. Still more crowded on decent days than it was in the 20-teens, but not quite as bad as 21 and 22. I think the cold and fickle nature of surfing in the NE probably whittled down some of the Covid learners

just last week I had a 90 minute session all alone, at a popular and well known jetty, on a Sunday, during a telegraphed swell event. There were some other guys scattered on the various peaks to the east and west, but, a year ago I would have been elbow to elbow
Everyone seems to be flocking to the sh!t show at Lido. Towns been super quiet but I also feel the sand hasn’t been good in awhile.

Reactions: menobrah and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s probably part of it. The sand at “my” jetty has only really improved in the last couple months

but that little solo session- it was way better than Lido, which bodes well for winter

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I started surfing at 31.
Surfing has a verrrrry hard learning curve. But as @ElOgro said, the adrenaline rush and dopamine charge is the never ending attraction to keep coming back!

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
That’s probably part of it. The sand at “my” jetty has only really improved in the last couple months

but that little solo session- it was way better than Lido, which bodes well for winter
As good of a wave as lido can be, they can have it. That place has become a haven for clout chasers. It’s turned into a pretty lame spot in my opinion.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I agree. Usually not worth the hassle. Every session I had there during our tropical run probably would have been better in town.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
As good of a wave as lido can be, they can have it. That place has become a haven for clout chasers. It’s turned into a pretty lame spot in my opinion.
Meanwhile, years ago, in town had better waves, more crowds, and more “locals”. I went to lido to escape the crowds and attitude, and kind of liked the anonymity.

Sure as hell not the case anymore

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Meanwhile, years ago, in town had better waves, more crowds, and more “locals”. I went to lido to escape the crowds and attitude, and kind of liked the anonymity.

Sure as hell not the case anymore
Exactly, and all the locals that used to keep the place tame just add to the zoo at L in many ways. I can rant on this for awhile.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Absolutely tripping if you think surfing "ruined your life"

get a fcuking grip.

Being born in Gaza ruins your life.

If you had the chance to surf you're one of the most privileged homo sapiens to ever exist.
If you managed to couple that with ear ing an income, raising a family, being a citizen then you hit the jackpot, big-time.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It's funny how surfing kind of makes you delay being an adult.

I'm 62 and I still act like a child.

Maybe this year?
Common myth.

Golfers, fishermen, artists of any description are equally or way worse.

Arrested development is just a side effect of growing up in a wealthy western country with calorie surplus.

Doesn't matter what your hobby is.

Surfing is not special or in any way unique in this regard.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If you learned to surf as a kid then you are even luckier, because you had the chance to develop a skill set before adult responsibilities kicked in.

I feel sorry for adult learners who will never be able to develop that skill set, no matter how hard they try.