Laying rail

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Nice one!

thought this post was gonna be about Matt Hoy, Knox, or Archie.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
That's a gun in big surf. The average surfer on a typical 8'2" in average surf would bury no such rail.
How often do you see anybody - pro or not - surf an 8'2 like that?

It's like a forgotten aspect of surfing. Paddle-in performances in huge surf have gone nuts, but it's all about getting barrelled or surviving the wave, not cranking a turn like Margo.

Would love to see him and JJF on bigger boards at 8-10ft Rockpiles.

Reactions: Muscles and Aruka
Nov 3, 2018
Sunset should be an WSL event for sure, but I guess you can't have it as a triple crown event as well. Sunset, for me at least, is the essence of Hawaiian power surfing, and it would be great to see some Kong, Tom Carroll, Pancho, Sunny style power hacks on bigger boards in maxing Sunset. Love how the Ho family bust out the bigger boards as well - style and power for miles!

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Margo and Luke Egan were always two of my favorite guys to watch, I have all those old Billabong challenge videos, still my favs. I always wanted to try one of DHD's "Margo Nugget" models, is that still available for custom order?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Margo and Luke Egan were always two of my favorite guys to watch, I have all those old Billabong challenge videos, still my favs. I always wanted to try one of DHD's "Margo Nugget" models, is that still available for custom order?
I'm sure DH would have the file and could knock one out for you.

Another idea would be to get in touch with Matt Hurworth, who shapes for him now.

Reactions: johnson7

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
And grab=chicken legs and time to do squats:)
Where I got the idea. Shrug.
1599762593589.jpeg

But it was also to totally make up for chicken legs lol. Tension + Compression. I liked trying to set in on rail and let it do it’s own thing. The fact that I snowboarded?
I discovered the utility of backside grab rail bottom turns messing around with an ancient Nectar twin fin in OH. I was making the vertical drops but then just getting destroyed. Until I started grabbing rail. Then I at least made some. I’ll never forget the one where it was such a gnarly bottom turn that it jacked my neck up for a second. Full on whiplash change of direction. I think a fell immediately afterwards lol.

Last edited: