Lavallette in the '60s

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
There were two shops, Keller's and Custom Surf Shop. Custom was run by a hustler-looking guy named Joe Simo, I think. He sold a line of boards called Dusty Rhodes Surfboards that claimed to have been made in Manhattan Beach, Ca. (or did the logo just say "Manhattan Beach"?) I never saw a Dusty Rhodes board outside of NJ; not an advertisement, nothing. Do any of you long-time NJ surfers know what the deal was with DR surfboards? A house brand with a fake CA pedigree? Was Simo a fast-talking hustler?

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
There were two shops, Keller's and Custom Surf Shop. Custom was run by a hustler-looking guy named Joe Simo, I think. He sold a line of boards called Dusty Rhodes Surfboards that claimed to have been made in Manhattan Beach, Ca. (or did the logo just say "Manhattan Beach"?) I never saw a Dusty Rhodes board outside of NJ; not an advertisement, nothing. Do any of you long-time NJ surfers know what the deal was with DR surfboards? A house brand with a fake CA pedigree? Was Simo a fast-talking hustler?
:roflmao:

simo was a cool guy. (pronounced: simmo)
my jerk crew and i were disciples. he’d let us hang out in his shop and soak up the “vibes”. i have too many stories to go into here.

i remember when dusty rhodes were objects of desire - friends had a couple... i thought they were made in the south bay, but it would be even cooler if they were made in jersey to fool us rubes - at least it wasn’t china.

do you know grog? he’s got better simo stories (probably) than i do.

my first “short” board was a 7’6” morey-pope camel that he sold me. 1969

r.i.p. joe!
:jamon: