Large Uhu

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
That's a fatty!

I always had luck finding them at night when they are sleeping in their little bubble... it's the only way I can get 'em! I will try your recipe, sometimes I stuff them with green onions and lap chong and some mayo. Not too shabby!

Nov 14, 2006
Tropical Reef Pass
That's a fatty!

I always had luck finding them at night when they are sleeping in their little bubble... it's the only way I can get 'em! I will try your recipe, sometimes I stuff them with green onions and lap chong and some mayo. Not too shabby!
Auwe - Sad: A precious magnificent regal breeding uhu killed needlessly by whom?

Irony : Hawaiians killing depleted Hawaiian sea life. Tragedy. Enjoy with rice and mayo. Which by the way is not native diet and is killing us with diabetes.

Weak assed sneaking up and killing our precious dwindling remaining breeding wildlife while they are sleeping? So very sporty! 'Cuz you admit you can't do it when they are aleft. Sounds right : We elected nanny Govt officials who killed our economy over fears of nothing more deadly than the annual flu so now instead of preserving our wildlife heritage, we go kill it all, then depend on "guaranteed monthly income" from our benevolent government mastas. When will we get smart ? After all our wildlife is gone? Like the Passenger pigeons ? Or before ? Will we start tomorrow morning being smart and saying "NO MORE"?

How much better are we than the L.A homeless who are now raping their tide pools and killing every living thing there to eat? You really need to kill that uhu and all it's never to be realized progeny to get your protein? or could you grow it in your backyard or buy a smarter substitute at Foodland ? Depleting our heritage is never a smart plan.

A real leader, ( much more than Bumpy ) is needed to get fat asses off their rears, preserve what is good and be a bit more Spartan and sacrifice and make progress back to self sufficiency, and sustainability.

Lots of $$ spent for Kam students and there are a few good promising ones. Time for one principled real leader among them to step up, as opposed to their fat assed elders who have wasted their heritage on gambling, the fat life, obesity, govt jobs, wasteful Las Vegas trips, elders needing joint replacements and amputations due to bad diet and dumb easy fast habits when they knew better. Truth stings huh ? Fast retort? or accept it and start taking responsibility ? Vs being perpetual victim? There is still time to make smart choices

This post will get "cracks" - sure go ahead and do it to 'save face", fine- but when you think about it ... later quietly tell our younger generation to avoid the mistakes we made. Delayed gratification is the ONLY way to make progress. Not short term/ killing all our remaining reef wildlife. No uhu, no reef. No reef no waves! Duh !

Instruct them to be strong. To be self sufficient. To avoid stupid easy short term self gratifying decisions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kidfury and toPBk

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you got to be kidding
that's a internet snip of a big uhu not something we caught

also parrot fish chomp on coral
uhu are prized because they are very smart and hard to catch
kumu tastes just as good and is just as hard to find
mahimahi are just as brilliantly colored and beautiful when alive
but allot of people have no gumption catching and eating them too

catching fish with a three prong to feed your family has always been part of being "hawaiian"
when you over fish to make a buck is when you destroy the resource

The reef runway and groins being built all over the islands destroyed and are destroying more of the beach/reef ecosystems than all skin dive three prong fishing. Commercial interests for aquarium and other exportable local creatures did the rest as well as the long liners. All to get cheaper things at the market.

If you are typing this on a computer and getting your information over the internet, you've already lost your sustainability argument, The BTUs to generate all the power to support this global infrastructure of "information convenience" is what destroyed the planet. The easy access to false information for "instant experts" is the other.

Below used to be a very lucky weekend paipai net awa harvest in front of our beach house that fed 4-5 families about 20-30 people till the next weekend, All gone after the commercial interests took all the fish and ogo to sell in the markets. If all you eat is boney awa, an uhu every once and awhile was a gift,.
Yup "free enterprise" make a buck over anything else bloodsuckers did it not locals getting their meal. Just like how the blood sucking of tourism destroyed this place for a buck.it's parody of big ulu another place f'd up by tourists and surfers

a84 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that was like the 2020 greatest hits post!

hits all the high notes

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My favorite diving memory is nailing a decent sized one with a 3 prong when I was 11 at Lanikai beach. Swam right under me and I somehow managed to hit it. Pure luck. Retired from diving on the spot since I knew I would never top it.

My Uncle on the big island has landed some big ones throwing net. Wonder how the one pictured was taken.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
that thing has all the colors in a rainbow
it would not look out of place at a gay pride parade